Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First flat...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 12:21 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a plug kit as well. IIRC our cars also come with the can of tire goo and a compressor? In a pinch those will get you to the dealership. I know they can mess up the sensor, but probably worth it to me at night in the rain.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:53 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
I have a plug kit as well. IIRC our cars also come with the can of tire goo and a compressor? In a pinch those will get you to the dealership. I know they can mess up the sensor, but probably worth it to me at night in the rain.
Compressor I know about, but where is the goo located?
Old 04-30-2015, 01:15 PM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
That is why I take a tire plug kit for road trips. It will get you home safely and to the dealer in a puncture event...

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...FdgGgQodez8Adw
Thanks, I will get this kit for sure.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:55 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jlanka
Compressor I know about, but where is the goo located?
I'm not positive it is there? But typically when there is no spare, there is a can of tire sealant near the compressor. I'm sure it would be in the manual as well.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:52 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have not seen sealant in my car. Where's it hiding ? Personally, I don't think it is there.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:35 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

I have not seen sealant in my car. Where's it hiding ? Personally, I don't think it is there.
Well, now you have me curious. I'll peak around tonight and check the manual, unless someone can do that sooner.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:18 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sealant is under plastic cover where battery is located IIRC. Where is the pump?
Old 05-01-2015, 07:52 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts
Default First flat...

Originally Posted by Macca
Sealant is under plastic cover where battery is located IIRC. Where is the pump?
Same place
Old 05-01-2015, 04:40 PM
mlpor
Instructor

What'd they say when they finally saw the CL?
That's when I finally got the "Where would you like your 10psi" offer
Old 05-01-2015, 09:41 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can of sealant, air compressor, it's all there. Just check your manual.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:48 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bronson7
Can of sealant, air compressor, it's all there. Just check your manual.
Yes...better to familiarize yourself prior to a break down emergency rather than having to on the side of the road.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:39 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes...better to familiarize yourself prior to a break down emergency rather than having to on the side of the road.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:19 AM
Lebo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A question since this happened

What are your options when you have a flat ? From what i understood from the dealer and this post in particular , is that you have to call a recovery vechile and you have no other options .
Any one has a different experience /option ?
Old 05-02-2015, 05:43 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

OK dealer says since I have the insurance they'll only do a full replacement. Only 1 other tire in the US right now, has to be shipped from CA. 2 day wait for it to be mounted and ready.
Jeff, if your other tire mounted on the same axle has less than 70% tread left or less, you may end up with strange handling characteristics. Last year I had a incident on my 2013 Boxster S, where my wife ran over a pothole and damaged both tires (front & rear) on the driver side and had to get 2 brandnew tires. The car had 4000 miles with roughly 65% tread left on the passenger side. After replacing the tires, the car handling changed significantly. The car became extremely loose while turning right and understeerd a lot when Turning left, and it was flat out dangerous to operate in the wet. In addition the torque vectoring feature was activating all the time when I turn right to the point, the rear brake pads on the passenger side were significantly worn out. In general the car handling was very odd. I drove the car like this for 4000 miles, then decided I could no longer live with it and replaced all 4 tires, with a new set. The car handling was instantly restored. This experience made me really sensitive about replacing only 1 tire on a given axle.
I would personally patch the flat rather than changing 1 tire only unless the mating tire on the same axle is fairly new, or just replace both tires on the same axle. Just keep an eye on your car handling. Mark

Last edited by mqandil; 05-02-2015 at 05:58 AM.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:34 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lebo
What are your options when you have a flat ? From what i understood from the dealer and this post in particular , is that you have to call a recovery vechile and you have no other options .
Any one has a different experience /option ?
In an emergency situation I would not hesitate to go to a local reputable tire shop, to perform the flat repair providing I have few tools in my car, and I am present during the removal & installation of the wheel, to guide them through the emergency torque procedure of the wheel. The trick is that yourself is well aware of how to remove and reinstall CL wheel and can guide these guys.

Removing the wheel off the car is fairly simple and only requires a large enough breaker bar which most tire shops have. However remounting the wheel back is the challenging part as it requires you torque the wheel to 443 ft.lbs where most tire shops don't have a large enough torque wrench to achieve this, and this is where the Porsche emergency torque procedure comes in handy. In addition you need the special anti seize grease to apply to the CL bolt & nut threads, but this is not necessary in most cases and not required everytime you remove & reinstall your wheel, as there is usually enough grease left that you don't need to reapply fresh grease every time you remove the wheel unless it is all gone. So I would just inspect the grease and I would not apply fresh grease during the repair, and if for some reason there was not enough grease or the grease is not in good condition, I can wait till I get home after the repair and reapply it in my own garage. But I usually carry a tube of grease in the car and would just apply it myself at the tire shop if grease is needed.

Once the wheel is off the car, it is just like any other wheel and the tire shop can handle it easily and perform the repair or tire change.

So the trick is how to torque the wheel to the specified figure, and if you are familiar with the procedure you can guide the tire shop to follow Porsche emergency torquing procedure. It really is not that big of a deal, to have the repair done at your local tire shop providing you yourself are very familiar & comfortable with handling CL wheel and the tire shop allows you to guide them through it. Mark

Quick Reply: First flat...