Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should mass produced cars be considered PTS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 11:25 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Should mass produced cars be considered PTS?

I dont know the answer to this question thus I am putting it out there.

I have always had in my head the notion that a PTS car was one that you configured in a non standard color and had Porsche build it specially for that owner.

Now I tend to think that PTS is any color that is not standard. And by that I mean any color that Porsche has in a secondary palette of colors some of which might rotate in/out over time. This second notion is obviously much different.

For example, these additional cars coming out in Signal green, arena red, etc. are they really PTS cars or just mass produced cars in non standard colors?

I don't know. Please chime in.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:20 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't think it matters what you call it, but I think the Signal Green, Arena Red and Fashion Grey colors are going to be of similar numbers to less common stock colors. (.e.g. RY) and higher numbers than the rare stock colors (e.g. MM).

If you love the color, does it really matter?
Old 04-28-2015, 03:05 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,690 Likes on 2,338 Posts

PTS translates to marketing, BS...
PTS is no longer paint to sample. it's paint to whatever color PAG think you should get and charge you money after making you do bunch of monkey tricks. personally i love my PTS white :-)

Last edited by mooty; 04-29-2015 at 12:11 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:10 AM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Mooty, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. I think PTS used to be some sort of mystical experience that would get the buyer a rather rare in color Porsche at the customers request. That has now turned into a "you-cannot-get-that-color-unless-we-say-so" game. I guess now it is just pure money making and not a customer accommodation program.

Granted those colors are gorgeous and they do make a big difference in the collectors market. While I have to believe that the more cars are produced the less flexible the production lines become PAG should find a way of accommodating 100% of customers wanting an unusual color.

I do love my PTS jet black. Hooray for PTS!
Old 04-28-2015, 02:20 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree with most, that PTS this day in age is really not rare any more as it once was. As NateOz said, some standard colours like (RY) on certain low production models like the GT3 are less common than certain PTS, like possibly Mexico blue or any of the late 30 PTS that are starting to be delivered. Just a big money grab for PAG.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:29 PM
EMpunker
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 157 Posts

My PTS 'Black' is extremely rare!

I'm not sure Porsche still offers a true 'Paint to Sample' option?
Old 04-28-2015, 07:13 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time
Now I tend to think that PTS is any color that is not standard. And by that I mean any color that Porsche has in a secondary palette of colors some of which might rotate in/out over time. This second notion is obviously much different.

For example, these additional cars coming out in Signal green, arena red, etc. are they really PTS cars or just mass produced cars in non standard colors?

I don't know. Please chime in.

Originally Posted by NateOZ
I don't think it matters what you call it, but I think the Signal Green, Arena Red and Fashion Grey colors are going to be of similar numbers to less common stock colors. (.e.g. RY) and higher numbers than the rare stock colors (e.g. MM).

If you love the color, does it really matter?

Originally Posted by mooty
PTS translates to marketing, BS...
PTS is no longer paint to sample. it's paint to whatever color PAG think you should get and charge you money after making you do bunch of monkey trip.

Originally Posted by Just in time
Mooty, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. I think PTS used to be some sort of mystical experience that would get the buyer a rather rare in color Porsche at the customers request. That has now turned into a "you-cannot-get-that-color-unless-we-say-so" game. I guess now it is just pure money making and not a customer accommodation program.

Granted those colors are gorgeous and they do make a big difference in the collectors market. While I have to believe that the more cars are produced the less flexible the production lines become PAG should find a way of accommodating 100% of customers wanting an unusual color.

Originally Posted by bronson7
Agree with most, that PTS this day in age is really not rare any more as it once was.

Originally Posted by EMpunker
I'm not sure Porsche still offers a true 'Paint to Sample' option?

Old 04-29-2015, 12:12 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,690 Likes on 2,338 Posts

^ what is the paint code of the liquid lip stick.
i am in, even if i have to fly to stuggart and moon the head of PAG.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:19 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Mooty, Eduardo is just playing mind games. To me it looks like Porsche clear coat..

Quick Reply: Should mass produced cars be considered PTS?