Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The RS Conundrum

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 01:46 PM
P-Car777
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey guys, thought I would resurrect thread to see if any of you who have already picked up their RS and have had some seat time have any more insight/new perspectives on 3 vs RS!

Would love to hear initial impressions, especially vs the 991.1 3!!

Thanks!

P-Car777
Old 10-15-2015, 03:27 PM
FLAT6KING
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I don't think you can rationalize the purchase of an RS over a 3. But if that big wing speaks to you in Lava Orange or Barney Purple it probably doesn't matter and you should just go with it regardless of whether it makes sense or not.
^^^This is the main idea to this RS story.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:57 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

agree.
no performance benefit on street
little performance benefit on track
huge emotional difference (I am hoping) - to own something wider, more in your face, all the little touches - sticker emblems, CF/magnesium parts, wing, interior bits, more mid range torque feel, even rawer exhaust, etc.

Is all that worth $50-70k to you? probably higher residual too, so maybe less gap then that
Old 10-15-2015, 04:27 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
It's relative, of course, but ride less harsh due to milder springs and dampers? Not as loud? I suppose those things will have to wait to be confirmed. For sure the 3 is more understated, which is a plus for some. Well, me anyway....
Understated; Yes! Paparazzi is chasing us around Europe. Or they think I'm Bruce Willis with a new girlfriend - Mrs TRAKCAR.

Originally Posted by Conekilr
Comfortable as in creature comforts; Leather, heated sports seats, stereo, and AC. I know you can option the RS with the same comforts but for me, a RS should be more extreme with very minimal options, more track focused.

Again, for my intended use, the GT3 was the right choice.

No way anyone can say that an RS is less comfortable. feels like a Caddy to me, save for the LWFW rattle. all my 997RS had zero options, but this one has UV and leather..

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I think higher operating costs of the RS might more than just a rounding error when compared to the GT3.

Those nice big fat 21" rears and the insurance for the car I'd imagine would be somewhat more pricey than compared with the GT3.
21" are $500 and last very long. How much are the 20"?

Originally Posted by carcommander
It's cheaper but 140k really? Lol. I quit trying to rationalize it long ago.

Originally Posted by FLAT6KING
^^^This is the main idea to this RS story.
I had GT3, great car except it wasn't an RS. Then I had 2 3.8RS and the only problem was that is wasn't a 4.0.

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
agree.
huge emotional difference (I am hoping) - to own something wider, more in your face, all the little touches - sticker emblems, CF/magnesium parts, wing, interior bits, more mid range torque feel, even rawer exhaust, etc.

Is all that worth $50-70k to you? probably higher residual too, so maybe less gap then that
On the street, maybe at the faster parts of Tail Of Dragon and Canyon driving.. In Florida comfy daily driver. Puttering around at 50MPH.

To me its worth 50K. like 50K between 997 3.8RS and 4.0.
Again market says double the price so its going again to be hard to keep Mr Purple.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:28 PM
WazRS
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Wael
Old 10-15-2015, 08:45 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
agree.

If you don't mind the enormous wing and ugly 991 turbo air inlets, you can afford the 45K base price difference, and you can get the car at MSRP, then the thing to do is buy an RS.

The performance difference between the two models is quite modest, about 5% from everything I've read. The GT3 and the RS are equally comfortable from everyone I've spoken to, however the the RS will hold its value/and even appreciate short term more than the GT3.

So if first 3 items apply, then buy the RS. If you have to pay a big market adjustment for an RS or one of the other three items applies to you, then I would buy a GT3 and not look back.

Personally I'm completely satisfied with my 991 GT3.

Last edited by Drifting; 10-15-2015 at 08:48 PM. Reason: .
Old 10-16-2015, 10:04 AM
P-Car777
Instructor

Thanks for response guys, I would love to hear from anyone who has gone from 991 3 to 991 RS!
All I know at the moment is I miss the crap out of my 3 (sold it in August, MISTAKE!!!)
Old 10-16-2015, 02:26 PM
thusly
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by P-Car777
Thanks for response guys, I would love to hear from anyone who has gone from 991 3 to 991 RS!
All I know at the moment is I miss the crap out of my 3 (sold it in August, MISTAKE!!!)
I own both - a 991 GT3 and 991 GT3 RS (just took delivery of the RS a few weeks ago - see “RS Fun in Vegas”), and also have a 2015 991 GT3 Cup that i will be taking delivery of shortly (which just finished up the IMSA GT-3 season which won the championship piloted by Elliott Skeer). A few of my perspectives FWIW.

Just to set a foundation and perspective, I use/plan to use the cars strictly for track days and on a limited basis, mountain runs and anywhere with a speed limit. I rarely drive the streets cars around town, for running errands, or for commuting. To me, they are tools to be enjoyed as close to the limit as I dare. Thus, on-track is where they will exist.

A few observations:

I personally think the 991 GT3 is the best Porsche I have owned (at least 15 different types). It is powerful, handling is fantastic, grip levels (with rear steering) spectacular, love the PDK as it allows me to left foot brake, and comfortable when driving on the street - to and from the track. When I first got it, I thought Porsche outdid themselves and totally loved it. Still do.

The RS is definitely a step above the 3 - the higher front end grip is noticeable immediately, and that grip continues up to 130 mph (the fastest I have gotten it during the break-in period) where the car feels very stable and planted. The steering responsiveness at high speeds is remarkable, and one can clearly see how this car could be considered edgier and more capable than the 3. Comparatively, the front end of the GT3 feels light and loose (even though it really isn’t). The power/torque of the RS is noticeably more, and the upshift and downshift sounds (aka music) are more prominent (almost like a cup). And the pit speed limiter sounds - fantastic and huge fun!!!!

To me, on a relative to basis to current trading prices of 997 gen 2 RSs, RS 4.0s, I think the RS is deserving of a premium over MSRP. How much? - to each his own, but it certainly is more of a car than the 3. And I wouldn’t hesitate a moment to compare and consider the RS’s pricing against the more “pedestrian” 458s, McLaren 650s and Lambos (and others that are costing well over $300k). The 1RS is certainly a phenomenal car with tremendous capabilities. I am not sure of the consistent track durability of the others…….

I personally think the GT3 is a great buy, in light of the previous comment. Add some fender venting (ala RS) and I think front end grip could be improved even more. I will use my 3 as my go to track day car and will love every moment of it. Don’t think I will feel that regretful for not using the RS.

The 3 and RS are approaching older generation cup car speeds on the track. Pretty unbelievable, but it does make me think about the safety aspects of a street car vs. track car. Obviously more of a commitment for a track car (towing, diligently keeping track of consumable parts and # of wear hours before replacing), but for that commitment, one gets plenty of safety stuff - full roll cage, fire suppression, lighter weight, etc. - besides some wonderful sounds and pure thrills. To me, when I really want to go, the Cup will be the go to car. Given the market pricing (not MSRP) for RSs, a new cup is certainly plausible. And much faster and safer. Even bigger bang for the buck if you have a 997 GT3 Cup (which I also have) which are trading for very little $$$$.

Regardless, I think the 991s GTs are the best cars I have owned that serve my purpose. Great fun, speed, grip, safety. Huge bang for the buck.....

Just one person’s thoughts and perspectives - enjoy your cars!!!!
Attached Images   
Old 10-16-2015, 03:28 PM
P-Car777
Instructor

Originally Posted by thusly
I own both - a 991 GT3 and 991 GT3 RS (just took delivery of the RS a few weeks ago - see “RS Fun in Vegas”), and also have a 2015 991 GT3 Cup that i will be taking delivery of shortly (which just finished up the IMSA GT-3 season which won the championship piloted by Elliott Skeer). A few of my perspectives FWIW.

Just to set a foundation and perspective, I use/plan to use the cars strictly for track days and on a limited basis, mountain runs and anywhere with a speed limit. I rarely drive the streets cars around town, for running errands, or for commuting. To me, they are tools to be enjoyed as close to the limit as I dare. Thus, on-track is where they will exist.

A few observations:

I personally think the 991 GT3 is the best Porsche I have owned (at least 15 different types). It is powerful, handling is fantastic, grip levels (with rear steering) spectacular, love the PDK as it allows me to left foot brake, and comfortable when driving on the street - to and from the track. When I first got it, I thought Porsche outdid themselves and totally loved it. Still do.

The RS is definitely a step above the 3 - the higher front end grip is noticeable immediately, and that grip continues up to 130 mph (the fastest I have gotten it during the break-in period) where the car feels very stable and planted. The steering responsiveness at high speeds is remarkable, and one can clearly see how this car could be considered edgier and more capable than the 3. Comparatively, the front end of the GT3 feels light and loose (even though it really isn’t). The power/torque of the RS is noticeably more, and the upshift and downshift sounds (aka music) are more prominent (almost like a cup). And the pit speed limiter sounds - fantastic and huge fun!!!!

To me, on a relative to basis to current trading prices of 997 gen 2 RSs, RS 4.0s, I think the RS is deserving of a premium over MSRP. How much? - to each his own, but it certainly is more of a car than the 3. And I wouldn’t hesitate a moment to compare and consider the RS’s pricing against the more “pedestrian” 458s, McLaren 650s and Lambos (and others that are costing well over $300k). The 1RS is certainly a phenomenal car with tremendous capabilities. I am not sure of the consistent track durability of the others…….

I personally think the GT3 is a great buy, in light of the previous comment. Add some fender venting (ala RS) and I think front end grip could be improved even more. I will use my 3 as my go to track day car and will love every moment of it. Don’t think I will feel that regretful for not using the RS.

The 3 and RS are approaching older generation cup car speeds on the track. Pretty unbelievable, but it does make me think about the safety aspects of a street car vs. track car. Obviously more of a commitment for a track car (towing, diligently keeping track of consumable parts and # of wear hours before replacing), but for that commitment, one gets plenty of safety stuff - full roll cage, fire suppression, lighter weight, etc. - besides some wonderful sounds and pure thrills. To me, when I really want to go, the Cup will be the go to car. Given the market pricing (not MSRP) for RSs, a new cup is certainly plausible. And much faster and safer. Even bigger bang for the buck if you have a 997 GT3 Cup (which I also have) which are trading for very little $$$$.

Regardless, I think the 991s GTs are the best cars I have owned that serve my purpose. Great fun, speed, grip, safety. Huge bang for the buck.....

Just one person’s thoughts and perspectives - enjoy your cars!!!!

Thanks for posting observations!
Enjoy them both

Quick Reply: The RS Conundrum