Sponsored by:

The RS Conundrum

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 10:58 PM
P-Car777
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I'll come at this from a slightly different direction as I haven't owned an RS so can't give you the exact perspective you're looking for.

One of the concerns expressed by a number of posters when the 991 3 came out was whether it's performance could be used on the road, hence why PDK instead of a MT, why RWS, why be concerned about it's performance improvements over the 7.2 version, etc. etc.

So now we have the RS which promises to be incrementally faster than the 3. Is it a difference with a distinction? Not for the street, unless you intend to seriously track a $200K toy. Is it a value proposition? Will it be more revered in the history books? Not all that relevant unless you plan to keep it a while which doesn't seem to be a majority position if this forum is any indication.

I don't think you can rationalize the purchase of an RS over a 3. But if that big wing speaks to you in Lava Orange or Barney Purple it probably doesn't matter and you should just go with it regardless of whether it makes sense or not. I honestly have zero regrets over not waiting for an RS allocation, which I could have had, but that's just my $.02.

Rationality, I like it..I think you just talked me into stepping back from the ledge a bit. As far as PDK, RWS, I LOVE THEM BOTH and do think you can feel a major improvement over non PDK, RWS cars, and not just at the track. But this incremental step up feels like just that, incremental, so why the big fuss? Again pure speculation as I obviously have not driven the car.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:59 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 158 Posts

I'll come at this from a slightly different direction as I haven't owned an RS so can't give you the exact perspective you're looking for.

One of the concerns expressed by a number of posters when the 991 3 came out was whether it's performance could be used on the road, hence why PDK instead of a MT, why RWS, why be concerned about it's performance improvements over the 7.2 version, etc. etc.

So now we have the RS which promises to be incrementally faster than the 3. Is it a difference with a distinction? Not for the street, unless you intend to seriously track a $200K toy. Is it a value proposition? Will it be more revered in the history books? Not all that relevant unless you plan to keep it a while which doesn't seem to be a majority position if this forum is any indication.

I don't think you can rationalize the purchase of an RS over a 3. But if that big wing speaks to you in Lava Orange or Barney Purple it probably doesn't matter and you should just go with it regardless of whether it makes sense or not. I honestly have zero regrets over not waiting for an RS allocation, which I could have had, but that's just my $.02.
+1

For me, the RS crosses the line of being too much for the street and the $ too high for risking at the track. It's a high appeal car on an emotional level, there's no question about that.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:03 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 157 Posts

Cars at this level are bought based on emotion. No one needs one.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:05 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
+1

For me, the RS crosses the line of being too much for the street and the $ too high for risking at the track. It's a high appeal car on an emotional level, there's no question about that.
Emotions drove my decision....not practicality. My current car is great. I plan to keep one or the other for a very long time...had the 996.3 for 10 years.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:08 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I opted to stay with the 3 and decided not to get in line for an RS. If you however intend to keep the RS for a long time it may prove to be a wise financial decision. Since the car will be rather rare it may turn to ultimately be highly desirable in the collectibles market. If you want to track the best go RS unless the thought of wrecking a 200k toy overwhelms you. No right or wrong answer here. Wish you luck!
Old 04-23-2015, 11:09 PM
P-Car777
Instructor

HA!

This thread is a rollercoaster of emotion...to RS or not to RS, that is the question!!

Banter appreciated
Old 04-23-2015, 11:13 PM
P-Car777
Instructor

Originally Posted by Just in time
I opted to stay with the 3 and decided not to get in line for an RS. If you however intend to keep the RS for a long time it may prove to be a wise financial decision. Since the car will be rather rare it may turn to ultimately be highly desirable in the collectibles market. If you want to track the best go RS unless the thought of wrecking a 200k toy overwhelms you. No right or wrong answer here. Wish you luck!
I think I am leaning this way (for now anyway), and the thought of shaking hands with the wall in a RS does definitely overwhelm! I probably will not end up keeping any "fun/track" car for more than a year or two anyway!!
Old 04-23-2015, 11:15 PM
P-Car777
Instructor

Originally Posted by carcommander
Cars at this level are bought based on emotion. No one needs one.
Amen brother
Old 04-23-2015, 11:18 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,292 Likes on 680 Posts

+1

Agree completely. My 150K GT3 is really pushing my comforts limits of both. If I got an RS, it would just stay in my garage.

On another note, color may influence you because there are few choices in the RS world. I love my Guards Red car and the fact they don't offer this color for the RS made my decision easier.
Lots more GT3 color choices.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:20 PM
P-Car777
Instructor

+1

Kind of a double-edged sword, last time I checked the max track insurance will cover is 150k if I recall
Old 04-23-2015, 11:23 PM
P-Car777
Instructor

Originally Posted by Drifting
Agree completely. My 150K GT3 is really pushing my comforts limits of both. If I got an RS, it would just stay in my garage.

On another note, color may influence you because there are few choices in the RS world. I love my Guards Red car and the fact they don't offer this color for the RS made my decision easier.
Lots more GT3 color choices.
I ALMOST feel this way about my GT3, so an RS may really cross over that line in that regard as well.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:35 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by P-Car777
Rationality, I like it..I think you just talked me into stepping back from the ledge a bit. As far as PDK, RWS, I LOVE THEM BOTH and do think you can feel a major improvement over non PDK, RWS cars, and not just at the track. But this incremental step up feels like just that, incremental, so why the big fuss? Again pure speculation as I obviously have not driven the car.
It's obviously an emotional decision, not a rational one. Imagine you've climbed into each car blindfolded so you can't see the exterior. Now you're behind the wheel driving each one on the road, still unable to see what the cars themselves look like. Is the actual driving experience going to be that much different on the road? Will you really be able to feel the .2 second difference in 0-60 time? Will the additional downforce be meaningful? I guarantee you could feel the difference between a Carrera and a 3 blindfolded. But between the 3 and this RS? I'm not so sure.

If the performance and "feel" of the cars is what you're really interested in, I can't imagine a $50K difference, or even a fraction of that. But when you factor in the intangibles it will be worth it, to some. I get more attention than I want, really, with the 3 so for me an RS is OTT. But for you, the intangibles might make it just what you're looking for. Just don't expect to be able to sort it out in a spreadsheet.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:26 AM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look the RS is gonna be a great car but I'm kind of with Mike in CA and Drifting on this one for pretty much all their points. That having been said, my answer would probably have been different if Porsche had added some more ponies and lbs. feet. While I know 911s and Vettes are completely different animals, it does kind of bug me that for about the same price differential between the stock Vette and the Z06, Chevy was able to add 200 more of each!
Old 04-24-2015, 12:40 AM
P-Car777
Instructor

It's obviously an emotional decision, not a rational one. Imagine you've climbed into each car blindfolded so you can't see the exterior. Now you're behind the wheel driving each one on the road, still unable to see what the cars themselves look like. Is the actual driving experience going to be that much different on the road? Will you really be able to feel the .2 second difference in 0-60 time? Will the additional downforce be meaningful? I guarantee you could feel the difference between a Carrera and a 3 blindfolded. But between the 3 and this RS? I'm not so sure.

If the performance and "feel" of the cars is what you're really interested in, I can't imagine a $50K difference, or even a fraction of that. But when you factor in the intangibles it will be worth it, to some. I get more attention than I want, really, with the 3 so for me an RS is OTT. But for you, the intangibles might make it just what you're looking for. Just don't expect to be able to sort it out in a spreadsheet.
Originally Posted by LAGinz
Look the RS is gonna be a great car but I'm kind of with Mike in CA and Drifting on this one for pretty much all their points. That having been said, my answer would probably have been different if Porsche had added some more ponies and lbs. feet. While I know 911s and Vettes are completely different animals, it does kind of bug me that for about the same price differential between the stock Vette and the Z06, Chevy was able to add 200 more of each!

Great points, kinda makes you wonder have they reached the engineering limits of a NA flat six?!?!
Old 04-24-2015, 12:57 AM
biko
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can afford it, then get it.

Too expensive to track is nonsense. People track a lot more expensive cars.

Too harsh on the road... That depends on you. Personally I like a stiff car on the road. Heck, I have now 1 full day on the track in my 991 Cup car and I wish it was stiffer.

Race ready car... No way. You outta drive a 991 Cup car on the track. Other than shape you wouldn't think they were related.

Yes the RS is more money than the '3 but if you're concerned about your exit price, my guess is the RS will depreciate less than the '3.

Quick Reply: The RS Conundrum