Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: 991 Turbo S Evo Track review -

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 09:34 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

TTS is a powerhouse and for god's sake it drives as well as anything I can recall for DD use.....while I will lose the AWD, the next GT2 will be in my garage if PAG doesn't mess up execution......I have deposit down already.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:10 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
I like how he talks about the handling ability, and then proceeds to only drift it. Pass. We already have one reviewer who only drifts (Chris Harris), I don't need another. There was no real interesting content. It's like car review videos have just been boiled down to drifting on a track while talking about how amazing the car is. They don't mention the interior, the electronics, the on-road abilities, road noise, comfort, storage, etc.

Originally Posted by jlanka
Agreed. I think a lot of people out there think if a car can drift then it's a good car. Probably comes from movies.

Much of a cars character shines when provoked into a slide. You guys should try it sometime
Old 04-23-2015, 12:22 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Yet it is ironic that my GT3 with 475hp is faster around the Ring than the CGT which has 612hp and lighter. Tires and technology have come a long way.
Tires of all perfomance classes have improved a bunch, but also remember that the CGT was delivered with Street tires (of the 2004 variety) and the GT3's have been delivered with Track tires since the 997.1. So, it's incremental improvements over time and moving up a class in performance category as well. A CGT on modern track tires would be no slouch.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:19 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

You can see why Porsche is making noises about changing the concept behind the GT2- for lap times and accessibility there is no question that an AWD GT2 must look awfully tempting. MPSC2s were 1.2 seconds faster than Pilot Super Sports around Hockenheim, a track of identical length. Sticky tires, pull out some weight, stiffen it up and add a little power and you'd have to believe an AWD GT2 could easily find 2 seconds, putting it within shouting distance of the P1...

Originally Posted by GrantG
Tires of all perfomance classes have improved a bunch, but also remember that the CGT was delivered with Street tires (of the 2004 variety) and the GT3's have been delivered with Track tires since the 997.1. So, it's incremental improvements over time and moving up a class in performance category as well. A CGT on modern track tires would be no slouch.
Streetable R compounds have been gaining grip at over 1% per year. Near as I can figure a CGT with suspension optimized for current streetable Rs would run the Ring under 7:05.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:03 AM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AWD GT2? contradiction in terms
Old 04-24-2015, 11:06 AM
9972RS
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

So this has same chassis width as rs, no? How can we say it's too big when it's nearly the same. Big difference is the weight 195kg more.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:38 AM
YellowPMan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CodeRed
AWD GT2? contradiction in terms
Why?

Gt3/3rs no manual option ? Also a contradiction, no?
It's now about getting the best performance with the technology available..if that means Awd,pdk,turbo charging, and any other tech you want to throw on board I'm all for it...why not ...if we don't like certain aspects of what is happening with the new gen cars, we change brands

I'm sure whatever they do with the gt2/rs ,it will me a step forward in performance over the previous generation and the current turbo s, or they won't build it , and I'll get my deposit back ..
Old 04-28-2015, 05:15 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by YellowPMan
Why?

Gt3/3rs no manual option ? Also a contradiction, no?
It's now about getting the best performance with the technology available..if that means Awd,pdk,turbo charging, and any other tech you want to throw on board I'm all for it...why not ...if we don't like certain aspects of what is happening with the new gen cars, we change brands

I'm sure whatever they do with the gt2/rs ,it will me a step forward in performance over the previous generation and the current turbo s, or they won't build it , and I'll get my deposit back ..
I'm very much in the "performance isn't everything" camp. Big picture tires alone are dropping ring times by about 2 seconds per year. Permanently compromising a car's spirit or driving experience for a temporary advantage against the clock makes very little sense to me. That said, I think Porsche does need a car that can go toe to toe with anything, a proper response to the GT-R Nismo, Z06, etc that are making the 'Ring their playground. In my mind the GT2 is the most obvious response, but unless Porsche bends their rules on tire wear, etc, I'm not sure that 2wd will cut it.

So I'm torn- in general I feel Porsche gives their cars too much grip for their power these days, and the GT2 has been a wonderful exception to that rule. I'd be loath to lose that- Porsche needs a "scary" car- the 2WD GT2 mustn't be the last of them.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:29 AM
YellowPMan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
I'm very much in the "performance isn't everything" camp. Big picture tires alone are dropping ring times by about 2 seconds per year. Permanently compromising a car's spirit or driving experience for a temporary advantage against the clock makes very little sense to me. That said, I think Porsche does need a car that can go toe to toe with anything, a proper response to the GT-R Nismo, Z06, etc that are making the 'Ring their playground. In my mind the GT2 is the most obvious response, but unless Porsche bends their rules on tire wear, etc, I'm not sure that 2wd will cut it.

So I'm torn- in general I feel Porsche gives their cars too much grip for their power these days, and the GT2 has been a wonderful exception to that rule. I'd be loath to lose that- Porsche needs a "scary" car- the 2WD GT2 mustn't be the last of them.
I know what you mean , and you are obviously not alone , as the market is appreciating in older generation cars that have that "seat of the pants" experience.
Unfortunately though the next Gt2/rs will I think almost definitely be a AwD platform with 620bhp+ with every technical trick on board ..no point building it if it is not a step up from the turbo s / gt3 rs.. Only time will tell..
Gt2rs 650bhp super light 1300kg manual 2wd hydraulic steering..where do I sign ?

Quick Reply: OT: 991 Turbo S Evo Track review -