Sponsored by:

DIY Experience and the GT3....

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 02:35 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts
Default DIY Experience and the GT3....

So I have no DIY experience on any cars and decided that given the step by step instructions (and having a lift) I was going to do my own Sharkwerks install...although some challenges on access it went well and I did it all by myself a couple of weeks ago....it was quite rewarding as well and gave me a new found respect for those that work on their own cars....

That being said, with the great DIY oil change thread, is it something that can be done by a "first timer"?
Old 04-21-2015, 02:49 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

If you can manage tools well enough to do your own exhaust mod, and especially since you have a lift, doing an oil change should be a snap even for a first timer. It's really quite straightforward. There are several of us who have done it and would be happy to answer any questions you might have. Go for it!
Old 04-21-2015, 02:55 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Thanks Mike....your DIY thread is great!....I'm gonna get the parts and do it....
Old 04-21-2015, 03:15 PM
need a 993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with Mike. If you managed the exhaust, you should be good to go with the oil change.
You could also bribe a local rennlister to help you - just offer them a ride in the 458!
Old 04-21-2015, 03:23 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Originally Posted by need a 993
Agree with Mike. If you managed the exhaust, you should be good to go with the oil change.
You could also bribe a local rennlister to help you - just offer them a ride in the 458!
Anytime!
Old 04-21-2015, 06:03 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 78 Posts

Yeah, you'll do fine as long as you follow Mike's post. The Sharkwerks install is about the same difficulty.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:25 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
Thanks Mike....your DIY thread is great!....I'm gonna get the parts and do it....
Thanks, eric, and I think you'll enjoy the satisfaction of the experience, just like you did with your SW bypass install.

Based on feedback and reflection, I've made a few edits since my original posting. In case you printed or read it previously, take another look at the DIY for the latest updates that you may find useful. Good luck!

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt2-and-...il-change.html
Old 04-21-2015, 06:53 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Thanks, eric, and I think you'll enjoy the satisfaction of the experience, just like you did with your SW bypass install. Based on feedback and reflection, I've made a few edits since my original posting. In case you printed or read it previously, take another look at the DIY for the latest updates that you may find useful. Good luck! https://rennlist.com/forums/gt2-and-...il-change.html
Yes I read it over a few times today....definitely some good tips and edits...the heads up on access, or lack thereof, with a ratchet and the need for crescent wrench is also very beneficial

One question, where did you buy the new sealing rings, I didn't see them listed on suncoast?
Old 04-21-2015, 08:41 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Yes I read it over a few times today....definitely some good tips and edits...the heads up on access, or lack thereof, with a ratchet and the need for crescent wrench is also very beneficial

One question, where did you buy the new sealing rings, I didn't see them listed on suncoast?
I got everything from Suncoast. When I bought from them they had a kit that was supposed to have everything. It included the filter, two new sump plugs with sealing washers, and a small green rubber o-ring for the filer that was NOT needed. The kit didn't include a new oil tank plug and sealing washer which they shipped to me separately at no additional after I called them.

I don't know how Suncoast is currently packaging their kit but you will need at minimum:

Filter
washer for at least one sump plug
washer for oil tank plug

Aldo was the person who helped me with my order.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:45 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I got everything from Suncoast. When I bought from them they had a kit that was supposed to have everything. It included the filter, two new sump plugs with sealing washers, and a small green rubber o-ring for the filer that was NOT needed. The kit didn't include a new oil tank plug and sealing washer which they shipped to me separately after I called them. I don't know how Suncoast is currently packaging their kit but you will need at minimum: Filter washer for at least one sump plug washer for oil tank plug Aldo was the person who helped me with my order.
Thanks....I'll give them a call....so the plugs are a one time use only or is it ok to reuse them?
Old 04-21-2015, 09:25 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Thanks....I'll give them a call....so the plugs are a one time use only or is it ok to reuse them?
I almost always reuse the plugs and so I kept the new ones they sent me for spare. After a while the 8mm opening for the allen key may get a little galled up and using a new plug is nice. But if you're reasonably careful a plug will last a long time and all that's really needed is a new washer. Some people even flip the washer over and use it a second time but I like having a fresh one.

Quick Reply: DIY Experience and the GT3....