Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn-Key DIY Audio Upgrade Idea

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 10:48 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 158 Posts

I'd be content with a system that upgrades the factory's "Sound Plus" option to what the Bose system offered on the regular 991s. I'm sure the cost of equivalent parts is likely less than $1,500.

Alternatively, is it a waste of time to approach Bose or Burmeister directly or perhaps the components are available through the dealer's parts department?
Old 04-24-2015, 11:40 PM
Tosilog
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
I'd be content with a system that upgrades the factory's "Sound Plus" option to what the Bose system offered on the regular 991s. I'm sure the cost of equivalent parts is likely less than $1,500. Alternatively, is it a waste of time to approach Bose or Burmeister directly or perhaps the components are available through the dealer's parts department?
I find the sound plus of my '15 991 GT3 a lot better than the Bose of my '13 991 C2S, as in a lot better. Just my opinion...
Old 04-24-2015, 11:56 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess I'm alone in left field on this, respect what everyone is doing to share (especially money!) but have no idea why anyone is spending any money to improve this sound system? Give up, and shut the bastard off all together and enjoy whatever bypass you install. The only sound I care about is what comes from tailpipe with revs!
Old 04-25-2015, 01:01 AM
mdkim
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tosilog
I find the sound plus of my '15 991 GT3 a lot better than the Bose of my '13 991 C2S, as in a lot better. Just my opinion...
Agree. It really is not that bad IMO...is it good/great? No. But, for the car, it is more than sufficient.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:24 AM
Cortwagner
Track Day

Default Burmeister retrofit

Why can"t somebody come up with a good Burmeister solution. All the stock parts as fitted into a Burmesiter optioned 991 coup, and fit these into a GT3.

This seems like the best solution if I am not crazy, as I would do this in a heart beat.

This keeps the OEM value add and sounds plenty good enough, am I missing something ?

Please steer me in the right direction.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:09 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by Cortwagner
Why can"t somebody come up with a good Burmeister solution. All the stock parts as fitted into a Burmesiter optioned 991 coup, and fit these into a GT3.

This seems like the best solution if I am not crazy, as I would do this in a heart beat.

This keeps the OEM value add and sounds plenty good enough, am I missing something ?

I'm with you 100%. I'd prefer a full Burmeister swap of every component, plus one aftermarket amp swap with the OEM amp to drive them. Done!

Would love the Burmeister amp, too, but my understanding is it has a different harness interface back to the PCM.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:00 AM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Cortwagner

Originally Posted by Mech33
I'm with you 100%. I'd prefer a full Burmeister swap of every component, plus one aftermarket amp swap with the OEM amp to drive them. Done!

Would love the Burmeister amp, too, but my understanding is it has a different harness interface back to the PCM.
This is a guess here, but I think to do the Burmester would be about the same cost as what I'm talking about ($6-$8K). Burmester is okay, but this swap is going to be much, much better.

You'd still have to cut wires to retrofit Burmester. This system will bolt to all factory locations.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:00 AM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
I guess I'm alone in left field on this, respect what everyone is doing to share (especially money!) but have no idea why anyone is spending any money to improve this sound system? Give up, and shut the bastard off all together and enjoy whatever bypass you install. The only sound I care about is what comes from tailpipe with revs!
Originally Posted by mdkim
Agree. It really is not that bad IMO...is it good/great? No. But, for the car, it is more than sufficient.
I get it. If you're not an audio guy then it's hard to understand.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:35 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Money2536
I love great audio systems....GT3 is just not a good platform to spend any money on imo. Where does it stop? To get it good you will need to add sound deadening, speakers, amps, subs (even the lighter ones are heavy..15lbs??) then the question is why, for marginal improvement and you will still be at war with all the tranny/engine sounds the GT3 makes? Start with a TTS and build that system up, at least you would have a fighting chance to hear the audio with that car.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:02 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

I love great audio systems....GT3 is just not a good platform to spend any money on imo. Where does it stop? To get it good you will need to add sound deadening, speakers, amps, subs (even the lighter ones are heavy..15lbs??) then the question is why, for marginal improvement and you will still be at war with all the tranny/engine sounds the GT3 makes? Start with a TTS and build that system up, at least you would have a fighting chance to hear the audio with that car.
Actually my system can easily win that war.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:51 AM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 10 Posts

Personally, I think there is a lot of room for improvement over the factory system, even with engine and tranny noise and lack of insulation. I wouldn't go ultra high end, but I would add a processor, amp, front speakers and at a minimum replace the factory subs. I did a similar system in my Tundra with an Audison processor, JBL amps and sub and Focal speakers - $4K and it sounds fantastic.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:12 AM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 210 Posts

One would think that even by simply adding a proper sub/enclosure on the rear shelf area (just underneath the rear window), an amplifier to power the sub, and another multichannel amplifier to "repower" the inside existing speakers with proper crossover points to block low frequencies from entering them would make a world of difference with relatively little cost.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:14 AM
mdkim
Racer

Originally Posted by Money2536
My audio system is a more expensive toy for me than my GT3 or RS would ever be. I'm just not that bothered by the stock sound plus unit. I turn the treble down and bass up however. Talk stations can be ear piercing. The slight rattling I sometimes get from the door drivers/panels is very annoying until I turn the volume down a bit however.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against upgrading the sound and look forward to seeing what your system looks like in the end.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:21 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jlanka
Actually my system can easily win that war.
I'm sure a lot of systems are capable of winning the war vs gt3 noises, but it's a war I'm ok losing!
Old 04-25-2015, 12:01 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Lodi
and at a minimum replace the factory subs.
There are no factory subs

Quick Reply: Turn-Key DIY Audio Upgrade Idea