991 GT3 market= VERY STRONG

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 05:00 PM
calpolo17
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
...which means no sales tax on both.
Hate to be contrite, but why do you constantly spout this? You are openly and publicly admitting that you are committing fraud, and how much can you really be saving on tax in the purchase of a $150K car? You surely cannot be writing bills of sale for $20K on these vehicles, can you?

It has bitten people in the ***. Its an open not-so-secret that almost everyone writes down the sale price on a used car (of course, I would never dream of such a thing ;-)), but there are severe penalties if the DMV does decide to investigate and finds that fraud was committed.

Truly, no disrespect meant, but curious on your thinking here...
Old 04-13-2015, 05:08 PM
FrstPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I think these prices have everything to do with current economy and stock prices. They will remain strong until these go down again. As long as the car is limited which it is and popular, you have to pay to play.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:19 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I agree

USC Trojan is known as a good guy on RL but this particular hobby horse is kinda lame...

Originally Posted by calpolo17
Hate to be contrite, but why do you constantly spout this? You are openly and publicly admitting that you are committing fraud, and how much can you really be saving on tax in the purchase of a $150K car? You surely cannot be writing bills of sale for $20K on these vehicles, can you?

It has bitten people in the ***. Its an open not-so-secret that almost everyone writes down the sale price on a used car (of course, I would never dream of such a thing ;-)), but there are severe penalties if the DMV does decide to investigate and finds that fraud was committed.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:22 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by FrstPorsche
I think these prices have everything to do with current economy and stock prices. They will remain strong until these go down again. As long as the car is limited which it is and popular, you have to pay to play.
^^^ Could not agree more. The frothiness in the San Francisco Bay Area real estate market driven by these factors you mention makes this 991 GT3 resale stuff look like child's play... I hope this general enthusiasm for expensive assets and toys lasts a while, and lands softly when the cooldown inevitably comes around...
Old 04-13-2015, 05:31 PM
calpolo17
Instructor

I personally got bit very bad by not following my heart and picking up a 997.2 GT3. A couple years ago I was cross-shopping the GT3 with a GT-R, both in the used market. My heart was screaming get the GT3, but my brain was screaming GTR. Similar years, similar milage, but the GTR was $30K less. The 997 was outclassed in every performance category, but had the beauty and engagement that the GTR lacked. Brain won, and I ended up with a 2012 black edition GT-R.

Fast forward 1 year later. I ultimately decided that I should have followed my heart as the GTR did not move me like a "weekend toy" should. Tons of new GTR's in the show-rooms and manufacturer rebates of around 20K. Value of my GT-R dropped $10K. Meanwhile, value of the 997.2 GT3's went UP $10K.

I ultimately ended up with a new 991.3 and absolutely love it. I do dislike the lack of manual transmission (the 997 was even more engaging and fun-to-drive than my 991 and Im not racing the thing), but hoping the value stays as strong with the 991s.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:31 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The state of Nevada does not collect sales tax on private party sales. He is not committing fraud.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:37 PM
calpolo17
Instructor

Deleted
Old 04-13-2015, 05:54 PM
devenh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doubleurx
The state of Nevada does not collect sales tax on private party sales. He is not committing fraud.
Correct. And this includes cases where the seller is outside of NV.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:40 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

I personally got bit very bad by not following my heart and picking up a 997.2 GT3. A couple years ago I was cross-shopping the GT3 with a GT-R, both in the used market. My heart was screaming get the GT3, but my brain was screaming GTR. Similar years, similar milage, but the GTR was $30K less. The 997 was outclassed in every performance category, but had the beauty and engagement that the GTR lacked. Brain won, and I ended up with a 2012 black edition GT-R.

Fast forward 1 year later. I ultimately decided that I should have followed my heart as the GTR did not move me like a "weekend toy" should. Tons of new GTR's in the show-rooms and manufacturer rebates of around 20K. Value of my GT-R dropped $10K. Meanwhile, value of the 997.2 GT3's went UP $10K.

I ultimately ended up with a new 991.3 and absolutely love it. I do dislike the lack of manual transmission (the 997 was even more engaging and fun-to-drive than my 991 and Im not racing the thing), but hoping the value stays as strong with the 991s.
My experience was the polar opposite of yours. I bought a new 2012 GT-R in March of 2011 for 87k and sold it three years later in 2014 for 77k. Total depreciation in 3 years was $10,000 or a compounded 4% per year loss.

When did you buy this 2012 GT-R? And I never saw these massive rebates you reference.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:44 PM
calpolo17
Instructor

My mistake. For some reason I thought he was in California.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:45 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,843 Likes on 2,190 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
I agree

USC Trojan is known as a good guy on RL but this particular hobby horse is kinda lame...
Let me make this VERY CLEAR so people don't think I'm paying games with the CA DMV or committing fraud....

First of all, all of my high priced USED car purchases (from PRIVATE PARTIES) are registered in NEVADA and not CALIFORNIA since I spend more than 50% of my time in NV (I have a residence in both NV and CA) and I have a NV driver's license. Second, the law in NV states that if you buy a USED CAR from a PRIVATE PARTY you do not have to pay sales tax.

All good now?
Old 04-13-2015, 07:49 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,843 Likes on 2,190 Posts

Originally Posted by devenh
Correct. And this includes cases where the seller is outside of NV.
My mistake. For some reason I thought he was in California.
100% correct....no sales tax on used car purchases from in OR out-of-state sellers for us NV residents. I do come to CA on a regular basis as I have a home in Southern California and I'll drive my cars down.

I hope I'm not rubbing it in anyone's face (especially for the folks that live in CA and have to deal with the brutally high sales tax rates for car purchases). I'm just lucky that I reside in a state that doesn't go deep into my pocket.

Besides, I'm a CPA so committing fraud is a big NO-NO for me.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:53 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Was offered 25% over list for mine last week by a dealer and it's done 11,000 miles. Didn't take it!!!
Old 04-13-2015, 08:03 PM
calpolo17
Instructor

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Let me make this VERY CLEAR so people don't think I'm paying games with the CA DMV or committing fraud....

First of all, all of my high priced USED car purchases (from PRIVATE PARTIES) are registered in NEVADA and not CALIFORNIA since I spend more than 50% of my time in NV (I have a residence in both NV and CA) and I have a NV driver's license. Second, the law in NV states that if you buy a USED CAR from a PRIVATE PARTY you do not have to pay sales tax.

All good now?
Awesome...Thats a great setup...Unfortunately it isn't an option for most of us. My apologies!
Old 04-13-2015, 08:07 PM
calpolo17
Instructor

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
My experience was the polar opposite of yours. I bought a new 2012 GT-R in March of 2011 for 87k and sold it three years later in 2014 for 77k. Total depreciation in 3 years was $10,000 or a compounded 4% per year loss.

When did you buy this 2012 GT-R? And I never saw these massive rebates you reference.
Purchased my 2012 Black Edition in May 2003 for 85K. Used with 3500 miles and full manufacturer warranty. Sold in November, 2014 for 76K. The rebates were available fall/winter 2014 as they were trying to clear outstanding stock of 2014's. My car was mint with I think 8k miles and 4 years remaining manufacturer warranty and it still took me 3 months to sell. Several buyers were not able to get financing (which was very frustrating).

When did you sell yours? Seems like you got a great price assuming it was a Premium edition.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 market= VERY STRONG