Sponsored by:

Windshield Replacement vs Protection

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 09:05 AM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LindsayMac
One thing I would point out, it appears the windshield is prone to cracking. In the short time the GT3 has been out I know personally of 3 replacements in the UK. Mine, the UK press car and a fellow on Pistonheads who got in contact with me regarding replacement. I wonder if the glass is thiner than the standard 991.
The glass does appear to be softer. I got a rock chip on my way home after picking the car up. 2 weeks ago I got a small hit at the top edge and that baby ran so now I'm waiting for my replacement windshield. Will try the clearplex as I have my first track day coming up in 2 weeks.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:39 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

I have Clearplex on both my GT3s. Definitely helped in my c4S while on a Porsche club trip to Walla-Walla a few years ago.
Get more rocks from DD than track. More rubber marks on the track. Need to apply sealant once a month.
I can tell it's there when wearing sunglasses but doesn't bother me.
400 up here.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:46 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

I do all mine with Clearplex.
A good installer is better, but it can be a DYI job.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:56 PM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

I had Clearplex installed on my GT-R after my windshield got cracked on track.

No less than one week after I got a new windshield and Clearplex, I got another crack at Laguna Seca. **** doesn't work. It also doesn't last, especially if you use your wipers.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:04 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 140 Posts

Depending on the velocity and size of debris, it may not work, however, after numerous DE's in my 997.1 RS, I had so many chips that it was impossible to see when the sun hit it right. I had to replace the windshield with a Porsche part (Allstate and safelite originally wanted to install their imported garbage) and I installed Clearplex on the new one.

After a few more events and a bunch of marks on my clearplex, I feel comfortable knowing there is some protections from sand blasting. It's not a perfect install (I did it), but the trade off is worth it to me.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:10 PM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I literally just received mine yesterday and getting ready to install.

I purchased what's called "tear offs." Race teams use them and you simply peel away layers, creating a fresh windshield each time.

With all the sand at Sebring and high speeds, I wanted to prevent pitting that's usual to this track.

I forgot the inventory number, but if you call them they do have a cutout specific to our 991 GT3 and you CAN'T beat the price.

http://shop.protint.com/Porsche_c126.htm

Quick Reply: Windshield Replacement vs Protection