Sponsored by:

Bert Smith Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 06:03 AM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Terrence,

very sorry to hear your story about Bert Smith Porsche. I just had a similar experience with Rusnak Pasadena. Been a customer (sales and service) for over 15 years and had a hefty deposit on an RS for about a year and a half, but when I wrote to the GM for clarification on pricing I was told 40-50k over MSRP. He justified the price-gouging on the fact that they lost so much $ on the Panamera Executive models. Quite what that has to do with my wanting a GT car, I have no idea.

I highly rate the service dept there, but will no longer do business with Rusnak. Short-sighted practice by Rusnak and, like a few others here, I'm eyeing the McLaren brand as a possible alternative if Porsche doesn't curtail these practices moving forward.

That said, I've bought 2 GT cars recently from a dealer who's 3000 miles away and that dealer is selling me an RS at sticker. It would be nice to think that one could support local business, but alas it's not to be.

I hope you find a P dealer who's more deserving of your patronage. If not, I'm sure McLaren will spoil you; I've no doubt that McLaren smells the blood in the water of discontented former Porsche customers.

Vivian.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:46 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,800 Likes on 2,376 Posts

^ rusnak is bad

I fear I will bc one British or italian soon too
Old 05-16-2015, 12:52 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,800 Likes on 2,376 Posts

Originally Posted by dark knight
actually you've come up with a solution to all the problems and hassle of purchasing, award allocations to individuals not the dealers, base the position of order on a points system, points awarded for past purchases, not being a car "flipper", using a credit card tied into them, parts and service dept purchases etc. everyone gets an allocation, reward those with more points an earlier production date, you agree to sell car back to dealer at msrp -$.5/mile if you sell within a year of purchase, 10 k non refundable deposit, no games
well this is USA not utopia

I think they should make as many as they can sell
limited production is boring
when a 918 battery dies in 2029.... well good luck.
not likely finding a replacement part in LA dismantler

if they really want to be exclusive
just a rsrr vtec r with m power amg and whatever suffix they like then put a $20mm tag on it. no I'm not joking.

mass production leads to perfection
hand build one odd leads to idiosyncratic variations euphemized as CHARACTER

whatever.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:30 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 663 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I've never experienced a situation where it was so difficult to spend $300K on 2 cars. I've thought about establishing dealerships but it seems like there are more crappy dealers than there are good ones. I have put a deposit down with a dealer in the midwest based upon a referral (a dealer that does not sell over MSRP) so I'm hoping it works out....if it does I'll be doing a lot of business with them in the future.
The Midwest sucks for many things BUT there are mostly good, honest people and car dealers (except Chicago I hope it works out for you.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:11 PM
NSD991
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by irish guitar

I hope you find a P dealer who's more deserving of your patronage. If not, I'm sure McLaren will spoil you; I've no doubt that McLaren smells the blood in the water of discontented former Porsche customers.

Vivian.
Just my experience: I went from Porsche to Mclaren (2013 12c Spider and 2015 650S Spider) and now am back to Porsche! My experience with Mclaren reliability and dealer arrogance left a poor taste.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:35 PM
3point9liters
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NSD991
Just my experience: I went from Porsche to Mclaren (2013 12c Spider and 2015 650S Spider) and now am back to Porsche! My experience with Mclaren reliability and dealer arrogance left a poor taste.
damn, that is not good...because I am considering 570s...really like its look whereas my previous favorite NSX looks more awful with the final product.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:39 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by straight-road
damn, that is not good...because I am considering 570s...really like its look whereas my previous favorite NSX looks more awful with the final product.
There are only a few handfuls of McLaren dealers in the US and most fall into that category. Then again most 'exotic' brands come with that titch of arrogance...stop by your local F-car dealer to see it first hand
Old 05-17-2015, 01:54 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
The Midwest sucks for many things BUT there are mostly good, honest people and car dealers (except Chicago I hope it works out for you.
I post my deposits down at the end of April and I'm number 5 on the GT4 list and 6 on the RS list....good shot at a GT4 but not quite as good with the RS. Still much better than being 10+ and/or being told it's going to be $40k-$50k over MSRP at the local So Cal dealers.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:24 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrence
Well, here's the update after two Fedex letters to Mr. Von Platen, Mr. Lawrence, Mr. Andrew Pine, and Mr. Jason Nelson (the customer service manager who wrote me a letter saying that he was confident that there would be a resolution that would be satisfactory to all the parties).

After informing Mr Nelson that nothing has been done in two months, he called me twice and explained that PCNA cannot force dealers to sell at MSRP, which I understood and agreed. I then asked if under the circumstances (me being cheated out of my allocation and being a top 5% customer based on volume in the last 20 years), if Porsche can just give me an allocation and I will buy it at another dealership. He subsequently told me that Porsche does not ever give allocation to individuals no matter the circumstances, only "awarding them to dealers" based on their performance. He suggested that I call dealers and try to get one. I asked, "Are you saying that if Jerry Seinfeld called you today and wants an RS, you are going to tell him your company doesn't do that and he has to call a dealer?" To that question he offered no answer. Then I said, " You award RS allocations to 918 customers. So its not like it never happens." Again, no answer to that comment. In the end, I thanked him for his time and told him I take no offense to him because I know he has no power to give me that allocation. I told him though, that obviously somebody in this company has the power, but they choose not to do it regardless of circumstances or customer loyalty. I told him that PCNA is a big company and doesn't need me as a customer or advocate, and I am a big boy and doesn't need Porsches either.

Speaking from personal experiences, companies like AMG and Ferrari definitely reward loyal customers with special treatments like special VIP allocations and priority on new models.

I am glad I picked up my Z06 in January. I still love it and plan on keeping it for a while.

I was gonna get my RS to play and track later this year, but now the McLaren 570 with 570 hp and 2895 dry weight sounds damn good for the same price. Just placed my deposit on one yesterday.

I was gonna get a Pan or Cayenne to replace my Pan GTS, but now its an S-class or a Range Rover LWB SC (just ordered). I actually also ordered an X5M also and will use it if I need an additional sporty SUV.

Anyway, I guess there are lots of choices other than Porsche. It had been a fun 20 years, but for me, maybe its time to move on.
Terrence, what I'd like, er, LOVE to see you do, send those who you've contacted through both the dealership as well as PCNA, written letters from McClaren as well as AMG and BMW thanking you for your deposits/purchases of their cars and appreciating your giving their companies a chance to fulfill your automotive needs. It shouldn't be difficult to get the sales managers to write letters for you. They'll probably relish the fact that they "stole" business away from Porsche, a devoted loyal Porsche enthusiast at that. Once the brass see that you weren't just talking out of your **** and meant business, with a kind reminder of how much you've spent with them in the past, but that you followed through with what you said. I have a feeling not only will they find you an allocation at MSRP, they'll put you onto some secret VIP list and you'll be showered with trinkets and other niceties like the 918 guys get. Actions speak louder than words, but if nobody shows them those actions, like you have the ability to do right now, then they wont care. If you do this, PLEASE let us know how they respond. I personally would love to be able to show them a copy of receipts for depsosits/purchases on the AMG S63, Mac 570S and a new X5 to rub it in their face. Only if people do this, will they take notice and start to change their practices.
Originally Posted by A430v
Inherently false - back in 2007, I wrote to then PCNA CEO Mr. Peter Schwarzenbauer and was given/"awarded" an extra GT3 RS allocation due to an options mix-up with my incoming RS order. Someone has the power to make it happen. It happened with my 2012 AMG C63 Black Series, a bonus allocation after writing to the appropriate parties.

The response you've been given T, does not inspire confidence in the way PCNA or how its dealer network does business. I've kept my silence long enough and sorry to "thread jack"...but Bert Smith is not the only dealership treating its customers like this. Rusnak/Pasadena Porsche falls into the same category. 20+ years loyal customer, 9 Porsches and 10 other "off-brand" cars from the franchise (all purchased new, ordered/fully loaded), not to mention countless referrals...and I was given the run around for a Cayman GT4 and GT3 RS, asking for $20,000 over and $40,000 over respectively. $$ deposit for the RS has been "on file" since 2008.

If my home dealership whom I've purchased 9 cars from including 2x 911 Turbo, 1x Cayenne Turbo, 1x GT3, 2x GT3 RS, 1x Carrera GT, 1x Carrera S and 1x Carrera GTS cannot take care of me, not sure who can. I was pondering writing to PCNA again via Mr. von Platen, but looks like from your results T, it won't achieve anything.
You bought a CGT and they treated you like that?! Porsche was crapping their pants about not being able to sell all 1275(?) CGT's when it looked like they might only sell 400-500 of them. not to mention the quantity of other cars you've purchased from them. They should be kissing your *** and asking to make sure it's the preferred cheek!

I truly do think these types of sales practices are on the out. Right now, it may be hard to see simply because they're still so prevalent. But wait until a sports car company decides to go the Scion route with No Haggle pricing. Simply, here's your entry (Base price) and here's the options you can add to the car, each with their set price. No MSRP, just MRP, take that "S" right out of there. First come first served, no bidding against other buyers. The company who does this will be rewarded greatly. And you know who I could see doing this? Two companies, the first being Toyota when they release the Supra's successor, but as far as changing the sales landscape, the company that I could most see doing this...Tesla!!! Though they don't have any plans for a successor to the Tesla Roadster in the form of some other Sportscar to my knowledge, I can certainly see them as a company eventually offering a Sportscar and employing this type of salesmanship. If that happened, dealers would all have to fight for your business by offering good customer service. I know, that's a foreign concept to most dealers out there...
Old 05-17-2015, 07:38 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Terry,

I just read your post for the first time and sympathize. Having never heard of Bert Smith, I looked it up and they're in Florida. Understanding you've had a long relationship with them and are willing to do out-of-state transactions, have you reached out to wherever Ron relocated? My recollection is the deposits are refundable in California, I have no idea what the law is in Florida. Did you get that back at least?

You might want to consult with an attorney to draft something when you place your deposit to contract for a purchase at MSRP.

Dan (wishes Terrance the best)

Last edited by hfm; 05-17-2015 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:28 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911

I truly do think these types of sales practices are on the out. Right now, it may be hard to see simply because they're still so prevalent. But wait until a sports car company decides to go the Scion route with No Haggle pricing. Simply, here's your entry (Base price) and here's the options you can add to the car, each with their set price. No MSRP, just MRP, take that "S" right out of there. First come first served, no bidding against other buyers. The company who does this will be rewarded greatly. And you know who I could see doing this? Two companies, the first being Toyota when they release the Supra's successor, but as far as changing the sales landscape, the company that I could most see doing this...Tesla!!! Though they don't have any plans for a successor to the Tesla Roadster in the form of some other Sportscar to my knowledge, I can certainly see them as a company eventually offering a Sportscar and employing this type of salesmanship. If that happened, dealers would all have to fight for your business by offering good customer service. I know, that's a foreign concept to most dealers out there...
Yes this over MSRP practice will slowly change but it will be the impact of forums like these (RL 6 pages on Bert Smith Porsche will remain on google search for many years) and online reputation that will change it faster than anything that Porsche can do at this time. The problem with a "one price" strategy is that it doesn't allow a dealership to discount inventory that is not selling, then on the other hand is it really "one price" when a trade is involved? The Scion model is a bad example of "one price" working....Scion sells less than 5% of the total new deliveries from a toyota/scion dealership so if one price worked why is Scion struggling so bad? They should be selling more than Toyotas under same roof if it worked so well? The Tesla "one price" is working because its a very low production maker and a niche vehicle also, when they have 10 cars in the model lineup and inventory doesn't sell so quick we'll see how they do with "one price".

These dealerships that have RS, GT3 and GT4s over MSRP won't feel effects now, but in future when things aren't selling so well is the time to raise your middle finger back at them when your business will be really worth something.

Last edited by sccchiii; 05-17-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:29 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
These dealerships that have RS, GT3 and GT4s over MSRP won't feel effects now, but in future when things aren't selling so well is the time to raise your middle finger back at them when your business will be really worth something.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:16 AM
Clocked
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP, any thoughts of sending the link to this discussion forum to the dealership? Shows how treating one customer poorly leads to many others hearing about it.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:27 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Clocked
OP, any thoughts of sending the link to this discussion forum to the dealership? Shows how treating one customer poorly leads to many others hearing about it.
Other than Mooty's signature footer, I think there should be a wall of fame and wall of shame on RL for dealers. What is interesting to me, though, is my principled feeling with one dealer and why I'm pissed off is another's opportunity. I don't want to pay >MRSP on a GT3 but others do. So I'm pissed at the dealer, but someone else is happy to swoop in, pay, and give glowing reviews of the dealer. The dealers know this.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:36 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Other than Mooty's signature footer, I think there should be a wall of fame and wall of shame on RL for dealers. What is interesting to me, though, is my principled feeling with one dealer and why I'm pissed off is another's opportunity. I don't want to pay >MRSP on a GT3 but others do. So I'm pissed at the dealer, but someone else is happy to swoop in, pay, and give glowing reviews of the dealer. The dealers know this.
This thread along with same 6speedonline thread shows up on google search for "bert smith porsche" on page 3. Someone on here that knows googlebots much better than I do needs to help you get it to first page on search results for the ultimate punch in dealership gut. I'm pretty sure google gives credit for how relevant that they believe the result is so more relevant this thread the higher the search result. Not sure if all of us clicking on the page 3 result a hundred times will rank it any higher in relevance because I can assure you any businesses would dread having 6 pages of a thread like this one show up on first couple of search results when an average person is searching for bert smith Porsche to buy a car.

Quick Reply: Bert Smith Porsche