Sponsored by:

Boxster Spyder Porsche misses the mark

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 02:59 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
How experienced of a driver are you? I am fairly experienced, drive a 986S, mostly at Sebring where brakes get a workout, and have never worn a set of pads in as little as 3 days. I presume you are doing 3 typical DE days where there may be 2-3 hours/day track time? I will say that since spending thousands of $'s on pro coaching over the past few years I am on the brakes way less than previously. That's why I ask how experienced of a driver you are.
Depending on which pads, what track, and what type of tire, it is possible to blow through the front pads in 3 days with the small 4 piston calipers on the boxster/cayman. I would argue that 3 days at laguna seca on OEM pads will destroy the front pads. Aftermarket track pads are a different story and will last much longer. Overheat is an issue with the 4 piston calipers, especially if you start running stickier tires than OEM. That being said, the 991S calipers on the new boxster spyder will be up to the task no problem. My spyder on 6pot PCCB calipers has never boiled over, never discolored, and my last set of track pads outlasted the rotors (12 days on the rotors). The GT3 calipers on the GT4 are overkill, but nice to have.

Originally Posted by naroescape
I'm with Charlie (DrJupeman) on this. The Boxster line was never meant to be a track car. We USE it as a track car, but that is NOT what Porsche intended. That's part why they built the Cayman. IMO, the Boxster was built to be a fun, twisty road driving roadster, NOT a track car. The Spyder is the ultimate expression of that.

Just like you would buy a 911 coupe over a cab if you were track focused, you should buy a Cayman over a Boxster if your track focused.

Not EVERY model variation is built specifically with track use in mind.
+1. I would agree with this. Hence my reason for selling the spyder and getting a GT4.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:10 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Depending on which pads, what track, and what type of tire, it is possible to blow through the front pads in 3 days with the small 4 piston calipers on the boxster/cayman. I would argue that 3 days at laguna seca on OEM pads will destroy the front pads.
I only run Pagid yellows. Perhaps such high quality pads last longer? I also have a GT3 master cylinder and Gt2 cooling ducts. Perhaps all these factors lead to longer pad life? I'm guessing Sebring is just as hard on brakes as most any other track. For sure it's as hard on suspension components. :-) oh and I run Hoosier R6's.

My Touareg DD is about to turn 100k miles and I'm still on original pads and rotors. Perhaps I've just learned how to minimize brake use? :-)
Old 04-15-2015, 03:35 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

I only run Pagid yellows. Perhaps such high quality pads last longer? I also have a GT3 master cylinder and Gt2 cooling ducts. Perhaps all these factors lead to longer pad life? I'm guessing Sebring is just as hard on brakes as most any other track. For sure it's as hard on suspension components. :-) oh and I run Hoosier R6's.

My Touareg DD is about to turn 100k miles and I'm still on original pads and rotors. Perhaps I've just learned how to minimize brake use? :-)
It's your pagids. OEM brake pads disintegrate very quick on track. Your pagids will last 3-4 times longer
Old 04-15-2015, 05:25 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe
It's your pagids. OEM brake pads disintegrate very quick on track. Your pagids will last 3-4 times longer
Dang it, just when I was beginning to think it was because I had driving skills. :-)
Old 04-16-2015, 11:19 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Dang it, just when I was beginning to think it was because I had driving skills. :-)
hey now, we're just talking brake pads here, not skills!
Old 04-17-2015, 12:22 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
hf1
Take a look over on Planet 9 the Boxster Cayman forum and read about all the guys frying their brakes and Calipers. Most track guys have upgraded rotor and caliper sizes and installed GT3 master cylinders. I wore out a set of pads in three track days on my Boxster S. Orthojoe can attest to this on his Boxster Spyder.
I must disagree with this. I have over 60 track days on my Spyder. No boiling fluids, nothing (including Super Blue). Brakes have been fine other than the rear calipers turning amber/maroon. And, no, it's not because I'm slow either.

Upgraded rotors and calipers... my guess is that most do it because (A) they read on the internet that's what they should do , (B) they have PTV which is heating up the brakes, or (C) some are really fast in hot climates and actually need them (small minority). If you track with stock pads - yes, you'll burn 'em up real quick.

Having said that, additional cooling is key with stock 987 brakes. I have brake ducts in the front and rear. Oh, and GT3 master cylinder is an excellent mod. I don't know why I didn't do it before.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:10 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by the_vetman
I must disagree with this. I have over 60 track days on my Spyder. No boiling fluids, nothing (including Super Blue). Brakes have been fine other than the rear calipers turning amber/maroon. And, no, it's not because I'm slow either. Upgraded rotors and calipers... my guess is that most do it because (A) they read on the internet that's what they should do , (B) they have PTV which is heating up the brakes, or (C) some are really fast in hot climates and actually need them (small minority). If you track with stock pads - yes, you'll burn 'em up real quick. Having said that, additional cooling is key with stock 987 brakes. I have brake ducts in the front and rear. Oh, and GT3 master cylinder is an excellent mod. I don't know why I didn't do it before.
I would maintain that if you can reproduce this experience on stock equipment at Sebring in July you are indeed slow or are only doing a couple laps at a time. :-)

I was losing brakes until I went to GT3 master cylinder and GT2 cooling ducts. My best time is a 2:32. The fastest pro time in my car is a 2:31. My point being that i wasn't cooking the brakes due to over braking. I push the car pretty good and stock brake setup wasn't good enough.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:12 PM
Spyder2011
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KelvinC
From very early on, just after spy shots showed the GT4 was a real thing with bespoke Motorsport division bits, every spy photo that followed of the Spyder (months ago) revealed standard-ish brakes. It was very evident that this was not going to have the performance pedigree of the GT4. The final release is exactly what we should have expected given visual evidence.

That said, I'm am surprised that it somehow doesn't look quite as beautiful to me as the 987 spyder did given that I think every other 981 looks better, more aggressive than their 987 counterparts. Could it be the lack of decals? Curves? Silver accents? Not sure...this one looks a bit awkward in pictures so far, but maybe in person...
To me the original spyder was simply beautiful! The new spyder lacks some accent like the red hooks, red brakes, red seat belts, red door straps, and finally of course the decal. To me that's what makes it a different looking car. These make a big different to me. However, the new spyder does look good also but cannot beat the original. I don't know it's just beautiful and unique I wanted to buy another one. One to drive and one to collect. I wouldn't even trade my orginal spyder for a Ferrari. I don't mind an addition tho.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:37 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Once more, larger rotors, great fluid and tough pads are the hot ticket. The 981 has GREAT front brakes...but the rears STILL suck. Same caliper since 1997...why, Porsche...whyyy...

COOLING

Quick Reply: Boxster Spyder Porsche misses the mark