Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT4- porsche nailed it

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015 | 03:52 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Manifold
Or even before retirement. I wouldn't buy an indulgent car like this if I had to rely on continuing income to pay for it.

That doesn't take much though. About 700k with 3 percent dividends after taxes should be a GT4 payment, or a small rental property. I would say most on this forum can afford it.
Old 04-06-2015 | 04:06 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
So, last night I take my GT3 to the video store to grab a movie for my Son. While paying the young lady, a 25 to 33 year old Kid comes running in with a nervous and excited look to his face and starts asking who's GT3 is out there. The Kid is practically out of breathe and he is asking the young women who is checking out every ones' movies. I step up and tell him that it is my car. He starts going crazy and begins to tell me he has a GT4 allocation and he can not wait. I was a little embarrassed because he was very loud and the whole store was watching this. I began to tell him that I gave up an option on a GT4 allocation because I only have room for one car and I could never give up the engine in the GT3, which I conveyed, is quite a riot and very powerful. But, that I do regret my decision in retrospect. He says to me that that no one in their right mind would give up a GT3 for a GT4. I can not disagree with him. He then said that when he saw the price point on this GT4 he had to have it. That there is no way he can afford a GT3 ect.

You know - it really hit me right there. Porsche is brilliant. All these young and older kids who can afford this car will try to get one. Which means you are going to see a lot of accidents out there while these young kids learn inevitably, the hard way, that these are not really toys. These are very serious and dangerous vehicles that need to be operated with care. But, in the end, this is going to bring in a whole new customer base to Porsche

After this encounter; I all of a sudden no longer wanted a GT4 for some reason

I would be much more worried about a 60 yr old that is in retirement, who's eyesight is diminishing and reflexes aren't as quick. I would say 95 percent of GT4 owners will be over the age of 30. I wouldn't consider a 30 year old a kid either. The average age of F1 drivers is 30 and they are frankly the best drivers in the world. I also think that most that could afford a GT4 should be able to afford a GT3, albeit it could be a stretch but it shouldn't be out of reach.
Old 04-06-2015 | 08:49 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by drdonger
I would be much more worried about a 60 yr old that is in retirement, who's eyesight is diminishing and reflexes aren't as quick.....
Yeah, I don't know how I make it down the stairs in the morning without tripping and then manage to feed myself my porridge; easier on the old teeth, you know.

Of course the 20 something whippersnapper with the track prepped '05 GT3 did manage to edge my stock ride for second place by .003 at our last PCA autox so maybe there is something to that whole diminishing reflexes thing.

OK, so off to take my mid afternoon nap.....
Old 04-06-2015 | 08:53 PM
red route 1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Yeah, I don't know how I make it down the stairs in the morning without tripping and then manage to feed myself my porridge; easier on the old teeth, you know.

Of course the 20 something whippersnapper with the track prepped '05 GT3 did manage to edge my stock ride for second place by .003 at our last PCA autox so maybe there is something to that whole diminishing reflexes thing.

I'm with you. I take my walker with "tennis ***** for feet" out the garage and my full-time nurse helps me into the sport buckets...

I was saddened when RL became a therapy season for guys with no one to talk to, now we have to justify why we get to a certain point in life with enough affluence as regular guys to want and drive these cars.

It's ok -- I don't mind selling it to whoever you are when i am done with it.
Old 04-06-2015 | 10:34 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mike in CA

I was generalizing to make a point. I hope I didn't offend you. My point was that a responsible 30 year old will drive just as well as a 60 year old,
Old 04-06-2015 | 11:23 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by drdonger
I was generalizing to make a point. I hope I didn't offend you. My point was that a responsible 30 year old will drive just as well as a 60 year old,
Your comments about diminishing eyesight and reflexes just struck me as funny. Those of us over 60 aren't all decrepit.......yet!

Anyway, my reply was in jest; no offense taken.
Old 04-07-2015 | 12:26 AM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Ha, good thread for anyone looking for real world examples of flavors of cognitive biases... starting with conformation bias of midwest (and videos stores). .
Old 04-07-2015 | 02:57 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

it's actually a result of certain elements migrating from 997 forums to 991 forums.
there will be more of this as more and more enthusiast finally accept the 991gt3.
Old 04-07-2015 | 10:48 AM
FrstPorsche
Rennlist Member

A lot of people sure take offense to things these days. Maybe because its so easy to make generalizations and have comebacks on the internet. I do agree with some points though, I think most people that are getting the GT4 can afford a GT3. I was a little late to the gt3 game and not being a hardcore tracker think the GT4 will be the more fun weekend/third car. There are still a lot of great drivers over 60 but I won't include my dad as one of those lol. Ive definitely seen his reaction time diminish and I won't get in the car with him if I'm not driving Too many close calls and a few fender benders recently.
Old 04-07-2015 | 01:32 PM
Drawpt
Intermediate

Everyone's perspective is coloured by what they have owned or what they're looking at next. If you are already a GT owner this car makes less sense.

From my perspective, Porsche makes the most when money we buy new cars. I'm looking to upgrade from a Cayman S before the projects get out of hand. It will be hard to pay for a 997.2 GT3 with 20,000 miles on it when the GT4 is an option. So Porsche profits more on the transaction. Good for business, fine for me.

Moving from motorcycles to cars because I'm too old, /g
Old 04-07-2015 | 01:46 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Smile

Originally Posted by Drawpt

Moving from motorcycles to cars because I'm too old, /g
Hope I can ride bikes (currently a Ducati Multistrada Pikes Peak) as long as my dad has -- he's 78 and still riding.
Old 04-07-2015 | 01:48 PM
Dimmu
Advanced

Never too old to ride! I hope.... *hugs his S1000RR*
Old 04-07-2015 | 02:08 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

drdonger: "I would be much more worried about a 60 yr old that is in retirement, who's eyesight is diminishing and reflexes aren't as quick."

You might be on to something Dr. Donger. I notice my older kids have a hard time keeping up with me
on my bike and on the track ever since they passed 50.
Old 04-07-2015 | 02:23 PM
hughp3
Pro

My hero and wish I had half his talent at my current age of 57...

PL Newman: Newman’s final race event was an SCCA GT-1 race at Watkins Glen International in 2007. At age 82, he qualified on the pole position.
Old 04-07-2015 | 04:05 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

One other advantage that youth bestows (besides superior eyesight and reflexes) is a general sense of invulnerability - a decided advantage in the cut-n-thrust of car-to-car racing. Us middle-aged-plus drivers usually have a well-developed sense of mortality and drive accordingly. That might explain why Newman qualified at the pole but didn't win the race (just conjecture - I have no knowledge of the race or who the other participants were).

Quick Reply: GT4- porsche nailed it