Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EXCLUDING value for money, is GT3 a better driver's car than RS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015 | 10:40 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Are you serious? Better 'driver's car'?

The RS does everything better, period. It is so much more of a driver's car and more rewarding to drive as well. Of course, I am basing this on 997. I have not driven the 991 RS.
Old 03-29-2015 | 10:44 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

EXCLUDING value for money, is GT3 a better driver's car than RS?
Well, I think I'm a better driver with an additional ~50K USD in my back pocket.

More cushioning, and dampening.

So, my answer to the OP is "yes".
Old 03-29-2015 | 10:48 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

I think the 991.2 GT3 is better than the RS hands down!
Old 03-29-2015 | 10:55 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by doubleurx
I think the 991.2 GT3 is better than the RS hands down!
Geez pointing out the obvious only because it will have a 4.0L ha ha
Old 03-29-2015 | 11:14 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sccchiii
I'll let you know once both are in the garage. It will be first time I've had all the current generation gt cars assuming no snags with arrivals, GT3, RS, GT4....cant wait to have them all together at track. Just for sport the one that gets tossed around as a order cancel is the RS only because I've heard from a little birdie they are holding back big for act 2 and it will involve big technology enhancements.
i
\

Interesting tease. About the time of 991.1 RS deliveries, 991.2 GT3 leaks will have started. If there is a technology jump (vs. a step) as you suggest, then the RS demand may moderate, enabling a RS for everyone who wants one.

I'll be happy with the 997.1 GT3 for years. Famous last words, I know...
Old 03-29-2015 | 11:19 PM
FORENN
Banned

Geez pointing out the obvious only because it will have a 4.0L ha ha
1RS is 4.0.
Old 03-29-2015 | 11:20 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sportscentury
1RS is 4.0.
yes so will 1.2 GT3
Old 03-29-2015 | 11:25 PM
FORENN
Banned

yes so will 1.2 GT3
Yes, so not clear to me 1.2GT3 will top 1RS. Not even sure it will be N/A.
Old 03-29-2015 | 11:32 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Only time will tell if the RS would be a better car than the GT3. When you have an 991 RS and have lived with it for 2 years, then lets ask this question again.

My opinion is an RS would be better car 3 days a week and the GT3 4 days a week.
Old 03-29-2015 | 11:37 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sportscentury
Yes, so not clear to me 1.2GT3 will top 1RS. Not even sure it will be N/A.
You will typically always be better waiting of the next "one"...the next GT3 will certainly give the current RS a run, but then again when act 2 of RS is released it will also eclipse 1.2 GT3?! IMO its like stocks you just need to find your comfort zone on when to get in!
Old 03-30-2015 | 02:21 AM
oc997
Racer

I have a bet going with some friends and they can swear that there is NO way the next GT3 will remain NA for several reasons:

1. It is too difficult to extract anymore meaningful HP and Torque out of a NA 6 cylinder engine than the current 4.0 and there is no way to go up much more from here.
2. Even if Porsche did extract more power it would be so small that it would not be competitive with cars such as Ferrari 488, Mclaren 650S etc which have all gone forced induction
3. The possibility of using a combination of KERS after what Porsche learned from 918 is very likely for the next GT car since this was all developed within GT department
4. Stricter emissions laws will make it cost prohibitive to continue making NA power with highly competitive performance numbers coming from Turbo cars
5. The use of lighter weight panels will help but still may not be enough to stay competitive evidenced by the marginal performance improvements from a GT3 to RS

Let me know your thoughts guys.

BTW i bet that the next GT3 would remain NA based on what AP have said in last few videos and interview but these above points really make me doubt myself more and more.
Old 03-30-2015 | 02:33 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

if u really want a pure drivers car, that's somewhat moddern. get Gen1 miata.
or S2000.
nothing else comes close.
Old 03-30-2015 | 02:44 AM
NelsonF
Pro

Originally Posted by mooty
if u really want a pure drivers car, that's somewhat moddern. get Gen1 miata.
or S2000.
nothing else comes close.
Totally agree-especially S2000. These cars are akin to the old British roadster concept but better handling and more reliable and fun.
Old 03-30-2015 | 03:33 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Ok so here's my thoughts (which like everyone elses) based on pure speculation based on what's known, which is actually very little. NOBODY has driven a 991 GT3RS other than people who can't say a word because there livelihood depends on their ability to keep their lips pressed firmly together, and there haven't been any reviews as of yet. So there's really nothing yet to compare other than one figure...5 seconds faster around the Nordschleife than the 991 GT3. Let's dissect that. 1st, do we know who was behind the wheel? We know Timo Kluck was behind the wheel of the GT3. But on such a large course, even the same driver can have variations of lap times ranging as much as 10 seconds different on the same day, let alone on different days that may have differing conditions, temps and levels of grip. Also, the 3RS that was tested, was it still a test mule that may be different enough from the production car that it could be +/- a few seconds on the course? Too many variables, so when we see these awesome times at the 'ring, we do need to take them with a grain of salt. But let's just for a second pretend that everything being equal, and the GT3 ran 7:25 and the RS ran 7:20. Over the course of 12.93 miles, that amounts to the RS being only .3866 seconds faster per mile or an avg speed of 103.769 mph for the GT3 vs. 105.012 mph for the RS. that's just over a 1 1/2 mph avg for the entire course. The numbers are so close that only the very best drivers would be able to extract the difference between the two cars and more than likely, the "Layman" would not be able to see a difference in their times consistently between the two. Because they couldn't even extract what either one is fully capable of in the first place. Our 10/10ths is realistically still only most professional drivers maybe 7/10ths if that lol. That being said, that's just based on the VERY little information we have, which is honestly nothing more than a number figure that holds less water than a cheese grater. Once the numbers become more official and the RS gets into the hands of reviewers, then we'll know more and truly be able to say which is "Better" but for now, I'm simply more attracted to the RS's aesthetics, the use of exotic materials, love the Lava Orange and as a "Driver's" car, you have better visibility due to the rear wing being placed higher, but will the impending results of more road noise from bigger tires, stiffer ride from stiffer springs and road wander and chatter over bumps and tires following cracks in the road make it less of a "driver's" car? we'll see! I guess the answer in short is, If I could have the RS vs. 3, yes I'd do it in a hot minute. Will it necessarily be more rewarding to drive, no.
Old 03-30-2015 | 05:10 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by oc997
I have a bet going with some friends and they can swear that there is NO way the next GT3 will remain NA for several reasons:

1. It is too difficult to extract anymore meaningful HP and Torque out of a NA 6 cylinder engine than the current 4.0 and there is no way to go up much more from here.
2. Even if Porsche did extract more power it would be so small that it would not be competitive with cars such as Ferrari 488, Mclaren 650S etc which have all gone forced induction
3. The possibility of using a combination of KERS after what Porsche learned from 918 is very likely for the next GT car since this was all developed within GT department
4. Stricter emissions laws will make it cost prohibitive to continue making NA power with highly competitive performance numbers coming from Turbo cars
5. The use of lighter weight panels will help but still may not be enough to stay competitive evidenced by the marginal performance improvements from a GT3 to RS

Let me know your thoughts guys.

BTW i bet that the next GT3 would remain NA based on what AP have said in last few videos and interview but these above points really make me doubt myself more and more.
Ummmmm.... Can I get money in on that? Next GT3 will be n/a

Quick Reply: EXCLUDING value for money, is GT3 a better driver's car than RS?