Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EXCLUDING value for money, is GT3 a better driver's car than RS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 08:25 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,268 Likes on 2,436 Posts

The question is too speculative right now, need to wait for reviews of the RS, preferably comparos with the regular GT3.

Also need to define what's meant by 'driver's car', since road and track are different worlds. Both cars are obviously overqualified for the road, unless one is among the few lucky enough to live around roads which are fun yet relatively free of safety hazards and law enforcement.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:29 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Depends on where you want to drive it.
Interesting. Which would you prefer to drive in which conditions?
Old 03-29-2015, 08:39 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Value of money excluded.
It does everything better.
Hard to argue against this point - I have a GT3 in the garage and RS order at V200 status. I really can't see myself keeping the GT3 as a garage mate for the RS as I just don't see when I would want to drive it.

I'd rather get something different like the new R8, 488 GTB etc to go with the RS than keep it's weaker sister.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:51 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Value of money excluded.
It does everything better.
Yeah, that was the question.

But, if value for money isn't considered how about Speciale v. GT3? The GT3 great because it can be compared to a Speciale that costs twice as much wouldn't you agree? If you asked, Speciale v. RS, value for money excluded, what answer?

I don't like a question that says value for money excluded because, that question only applies to people who have so much that it isn't relevant. And, that's not most people.

Dan (always considers value and always will)
Old 03-29-2015, 08:56 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tons of speculation considering we have not heard a single review at all. I'm sure it will be epic, but there is nothing to evaluate yet.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:59 PM
texas_maverick
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Define "driver". On the track, they are both great. As a daily driver - neither; but, the non-RS would be my preference.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:46 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,528 Likes on 5,055 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
The question is too speculative right now, need to wait for reviews of the RS, preferably comparos with the regular GT3.

Also need to define what's meant by 'driver's car', since road and track are different worlds. Both cars are obviously overqualified for the road, unless one is among the few lucky enough to live around roads which are fun yet relatively free of safety hazards and law enforcement.
This. ^
Old 03-29-2015, 09:54 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

the Non RS is the better car to have as a daily driver.

Less in your face styling
Less intake noise
Less aero
Less rubber

all the reasons why the RS is in fact the better drivers car.

But realistically they are both so well matched that you would have to get them on the track to feel any performance improvment.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:05 PM
snabbgt3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hfm
I agree with this. I don't much care for all the vents, especially over the front wheels. That just strikes me as too over the top and of questionable value. The turbo vents I wonder whether they are there simply because it was easier to leave them there from an original turbo body panel. And, 25 horse power, and the few changes don't justify the difference in price between the RS and the 3. The only reason I'd buy one of these is because they're rarer and would have a better chance to hold value or appreciate. And, that's not why I bought the 3 or a reason I'd buy a RS, even if I could find an allocation.

Dan (isn't brief)
The front fender vents are integral in the increased downforce, allowing larger rear wing, resulting in 350kg downforce at speed (plain vanilla GT3=170kg). The rear fender turbo-like vents, as you must have heard, provide a ram-air effect at speed (see multiple AP explanations on this) with resulting increase in hp relative to static dyno testing. The increased downforce from the new aero and the ram-air effect will create an RS that is faster both in straight line as well as upon corner entry and throughout high speed corners .... comparison reviews and multiple journalist driver reviews will need to address this.

If you simultaneously wind tunnel and dyno tested the RS the ram-air effect could be proven (?AP do this). The ram-air effect seems to make sense from our knowledge of turbo compression of intake air/fuel ... why would AP deceive us on this ... I'd trust him on this, although would like to see wind tunnel testing.

In any case, I think the RS will be a faster and more agile track animal than many of us expect. But, if you don't want to push the RS to/near its limits in performance, then why bother with the RS? The basic GT3 is plenty of excitement as many of us can attest, on the street and on the track ....
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 157 Posts

I have not seen the first test and no one I know has driven one. who knows. It the 50k is important then no.
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll let you know once both are in the garage. It will be first time I've had all the current generation gt cars assuming no snags with arrivals, GT3, RS, GT4....cant wait to have them all together at track. Just for sport the one that gets tossed around as a order cancel is the RS only because I've heard from a little birdie they are holding back big for act 2 and it will involve big technology enhancements.

i
Old 03-29-2015, 10:10 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its to be seen but current GT3 is dam good. If driven on the road it may be the better road car.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:11 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by snabbgt3
The front fender vents are integral in the increased downforce, allowing larger rear wing, resulting in 350kg downforce at speed (plain vanilla GT3=170kg). The rear fender turbo-like vents, as you must have heard, provide a ram-air effect at speed (see multiple AP explanations on this) with resulting increase in hp relative to static dyno testing. The increased downforce from the new aero and the ram-air effect will create an RS that is faster both in straight line as well as upon corner entry and throughout high speed corners .... comparison reviews and multiple journalist driver reviews will need to address this.

If you simultaneously wind tunnel and dyno tested the RS the ram-air effect could be proven (?AP do this). The ram-air effect seems to make sense from our knowledge of turbo compression of intake air/fuel ... why would AP deceive us on this ... I'd trust him on this, although would like to see wind tunnel testing.

In any case, I think the RS will be a faster and more agile track animal than many of us expect. But, if you don't want to push the RS to/near its limits in performance, then why bother with the RS? The basic GT3 is plenty of excitement as many of us can attest, on the street and on the track ....
Oh sure, throw in some facts.

Dan (mainly doesn't like the looks)
Old 03-29-2015, 10:16 PM
snabbgt3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ LOL.
... we're lucky to have these two great cars to compare!
Old 03-29-2015, 10:37 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sloopy
Its to be seen but current GT3 is dam good. If driven on the road it may be the better road car.
I will add that this current GT3 is a big thrust forward from a lap time stand point....it is hard to justify the RS if you only look at money but the factory is also not being truthful on what the RS is really capable of(?).......wait till the first articles get published!

Quick Reply: EXCLUDING value for money, is GT3 a better driver's car than RS?