Sponsored by:

BBi side muffler delete

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 04:49 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default BBi side muffler delete

Since there has been a few people on the forum asking about it and since the website is currently lacking a lot (all?) of the products that they offer for our 991 GT3s, I asked the guys at BBi if there was some information on the side muffler delete exhaust that I could share on the forum.

I was lucky enough to buy my car with one already installed (Thanks Flying L!) but it turns out its even cheaper than most of the center muffler deletes out there. If you don't need the quiet exhaust button its the way to go.

Some of you guys got to hear it at Dans second SoCal meetup but I didn't know much of the details of it. Well, I have got those details here!

First, some obligatory shots of my car with the exhaust and some SW RS tips!

And some product info from BBi about the exhaust:

BBi 991 GT3 Street Cup Exhaust Bypass

Product Description

Shedding weight is one of simplest ways to add performance to your Porsche. Unfortunately, reducing weight on the already slim GT3 is rarely an inexpensive task and the factory exhaust system is already very well designed for optimum power delivery. The only drawbacks to the factory system is a muted exhaust note that was designed to comply with the local laws and appeal to a wide customer base, and the excess weight from the muffler packing material.

We addressed those flaws when we designed our exhaust system for the 991 GT3. Most other aftermarket exhaust systems on the market replaces the secondary center muffler and the performance gains and weight savings are minimal. The factory secondary exhaust weights approximately 20 pounds and the average secondary muffler bypass weighs approximately 7 pounds, which equates to only 13 pounds of weight savings.

We took a more unorthodox approach and bypassed the much heavier primary side mufflers. The primary mufflers are weigh approximately 44 pounds total while our bypass pipes are 4 pounds in comparison. The result is a substantial reduction in weight behind the rear axle which significantly improves handling and less restriction to produce a much more aggressive exhaust note.

Key Features

- Produces deep aggressive, exhaust notes at lowers revs & exotic high pitched exhaust notes at higher revs
- T304 stainless tubing
- Meticulously TIG welded
- Brushed stainless finish
- Stainless hardware and clamps
- 100% emissions legal - will not void warranty
- Factory secondary mufflers and catalytic converters are all retained
- Direct bolt on replacement, no removal of bumper required
- Hand built to Order

OEM Mufflers (44lb) vs BBI Side Muffler Bypass (4lb) Comparison

Old 03-27-2015, 05:06 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

i think if you ran both you'd effectively have straight pipes. might be a little loud!
Old 03-27-2015, 05:14 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

Agree. I think you either delete the rear or delete the sides. What Money is testing is that those of us that already have a rear bypass - he is looking at replacing the OEM sides with the FVD side mufflers which are lighter and more aggressive and seeing if the exhaust will be more aggressive and will also deem the PE button useless
Old 03-27-2015, 05:21 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

It will be interesting to see if the 991 GT3 center muffler can handle this long term. It's my understand that with 997 GT3s the increased resonance of the side muffler delete could cause cracking of the stock center section. Something to look for.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:33 PM
GT TREE
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My buddy (on this forum) just had the BBi installed. Said he loves it, and that it reminds him of his Scud.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:35 PM
GT TREE
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bigkraig
i think if you ran both you'd effectively have straight pipes. might be a little loud!
Can't see the RS tips…. what size are they??
Old 03-27-2015, 05:40 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Originally Posted by Petevb
It will be interesting to see if the 991 GT3 center muffler can handle this long term. It's my understand that with 997 GT3s the increased resonance of the side muffler delete could cause cracking of the stock center section. Something to look for.
I have to believe that heat will also be elevated with the side deletes. Just hope that the OEM rear muffler can handle it. But, you bring up a very important point that needs to be considered
Old 03-27-2015, 05:40 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,265 Likes on 2,434 Posts

I don't see it on their website, but I heard today that TPC Racing also has a side muffler delete, which supposedly adds noticeable power, works with the sport exhaust button, and gets the sound closer to a cup car. I don't have any firsthand experience to verify any of this.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:46 PM
Superman32
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No need to remove bumper to install this?
Old 03-27-2015, 05:50 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

I think to remove OEM sides the rear bumper may have to come off but not if removing OEM rear bumper only
Old 03-27-2015, 05:50 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

I think you need to remove the bumper to get the old mufflers out of there. They are pretty big
Old 04-03-2015, 03:28 PM
rollsroy
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you using the stock tips or are you running something else? Thanks!
Old 04-03-2015, 03:52 PM
vf430
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Op , Thanks for posting. I was meaning to make a post myself about the install and sharing my experience. I love the exhaust so far , it's defintely loud and aggressive. I was able to compare shark and Bbi (op's car ) side by side and by following them on Dan's drive. I like both Shark and Bbi. I had shark on my 997.2 gt3 , loved it but wanted little bit more aggressive.

Pics of install are here ..
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bbiautosport/sets/72157651083032947/

I keep getting pm about how loud and is it tolerable without valves , does it drone etc ..this is very subjective and depends on your usage. I think it's quite loud between 3 to 4 k normal cruise , but I have gotten used to it. There are times I wish it had a valve but not a deal killer. I can still listen to audio , take phone calls etc. My usage is only weekends and track.

Basically the stock gt3 exhaust was too underwhelming for me. This makes my car sound like Scuderia with valves open all the time ( capristo remote ). Downshifts sound amazing!

Bbi provided excellent service and support. If someone local is interested I am open to showing my car.

Contact info :
Jerry Truong | Sales & Marketing Manager

17141 Palmdale Street, Huntington Beach CA 92647

Office 1.714.843.0200
Mobile 1.714.724.1740
Fax 1.714.843.0202

Email jerry@bbiautosport.com
Web www.bbiautosport.com
Old 04-03-2015, 03:56 PM
rollsroy
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by vf430
Op , Thanks for posting. I was meaning to make a post myself about the install and sharing my experience. I love the exhaust so far , it's defintely loud and aggressive. I was able to compare shark and Bbi (op's car ) side by side and by following them on Dan's drive. I like both Shark and Bbi. I had shark on my 997.2 gt3 , loved it but wanted little bit more aggressive.

Pics of install are here ..
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bbiaut...7651083032947/

I keep getting pm about how loud and is it tolerable without valves , does it drone etc ..this is very subjective and depends on your usage. I think it's quite loud between 3 to 4 k normal cruise , but I have gotten used to it. There are times I wish it had a valve but not a deal killer. I can still listen to audio , take phone calls etc. My usage is only weekends and track.

Basically the stock gt3 exhaust was too underwhelming for me. This makes my car sound like Scuderia with valves open all the time ( capristo remote ).

Bbi provided excellent service and support. If someone local is interested I am open to showing my car.

Contact info :
Jerry Truong | Sales & Marketing Manager

17141 Palmdale Street, Huntington Beach CA 92647

Office 1.714.843.0200
Mobile 1.714.724.1740
Fax 1.714.843.0202

Email jerry@bbiautosport.com
Web www.bbiautosport.com
Where in the Los Angeles area are you? I'd love to hear it!
Old 04-03-2015, 04:05 PM
vf430
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rollsroy
Where in the Los Angeles area are you? I'd love to hear it!
Irvine. Bumper came off for my install. I am using stock tips.

Quick Reply: BBi side muffler delete