Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential negative factor with third muffler bypass systems

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 10:08 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,036 Likes on 534 Posts

Porsche states in their literature that the center muffler is part of the aero.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:28 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,526 Likes on 5,055 Posts

This may very well be true, and as a complete neophyte to these things I have no idea if it is or not, but assuming it's true, I'm not nearly a good enough driver to notice.

As a sidenote, aside from the change in aero from swapping out a bypass, wouldn't aftermarket wheels also affect aero vis-a-vis OEM 991 GT3 wheels?

As I understand it, wheels have been shown to have a large influence on the global overall aerodynamic properties of a vehicle. Specifically, wind-tunnel testing has shown that the local flow field around the wheels and wheel housings is highly dependent of the rim design. And that the flow around the rear wheel is highly dependent on the front wheel geometry.

So lets say you add an aftermarket bypass like SW or GMG, and then swap out the wheels for something by BBS or Superleggra, then what?

Maybe we'll be have way to a true flying car?

Old 03-19-2015, 10:33 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
shortly as in October? cause i have not heard of any deliveries in the US prior
No, shortly as in here's the picture of the bypass cover on a 991 GT3. Looks great IMO.
Attached Images  
Old 03-19-2015, 10:59 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
I am not an aerodynamics expert but at 150+ mph my a** says that the car feels very planted. I'm certain that removing the center exhaust probably makes a small change in aero, but I believe it's very minimal. We aren't talking about a full blown ground effect system in place with large venturi tunnel on bottom of car exiting rear skirt? Maybe at 195mph my car will shoot off straightaway like a F-18 Hornet but I won't ever see that speed in real world track stints so to me it's a non issue.

I'll take the minimal weight savings and the associated aero risk of the bypass.
Agree - I think every one should sell their bypasses - I am not
Old 03-19-2015, 11:24 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,036 Likes on 534 Posts

Hoopumpers, Nice looking part.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:29 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 78 Posts

Has it been wind tunnel tested? I need to be sure that I don't have a void in aerodynamics when I head to grocery store to get some milk.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:41 AM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
No, shortly as in here's the picture of the bypass cover on a 991 GT3. Looks great IMO.
Looks good, any more info? I'm not worried about the aero, but it looks more finished.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:45 AM
aznkuja328
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
This may very well be true, and as a complete neophyte to these things I have no idea if it is or not, but assuming it's true, I'm not nearly a good enough driver to notice. As a sidenote, aside from the change in aero from swapping out a bypass, wouldn't aftermarket wheels also affect aero vis-a-vis OEM 991 GT3 wheels? As I understand it, wheels have been shown to have a large influence on the global overall aerodynamic properties of a vehicle. Specifically, wind-tunnel testing has shown that the local flow field around the wheels and wheel housings is highly dependent of the rim design. And that the flow around the rear wheel is highly dependent on the front wheel geometry. So lets say you add an aftermarket bypass like SW or GMG, and then swap out the wheels for something by BBS or Superleggra, then what? Maybe we'll be have way to a true flying car?
due to the fact that aftermarket wheels will rotate under driving and with the size and offsets that are similar to the oem wheels, I don't think aftermarket wheels can affect the aerodynamics. in fact, wheels can't generate downforce. moreover, you can install jet engines and extensive side wings on the car to make it a true short distance random flying object.

Why ruin something that has been designed aerodynamically by comparing it to the aesthetic changes that may allow thicker sidewall, better tire selections, and reduction in unsprung weight?
Old 03-20-2015, 12:53 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,526 Likes on 5,055 Posts

Originally Posted by aznkuja328
due to the fact that aftermarket wheels will rotate under driving and with the size and offsets that are similar to the oem wheels, I don't think aftermarket wheels can affect the aerodynamics. in fact, wheels can't generate downforce. moreover, you can install jet engines and extensive side wings on the car to make it a true short distance random flying object.

Why ruin something that has been designed aerodynamically by comparing it to the aesthetic changes that may allow thicker sidewall, better tire selections, and reduction in unsprung weight?
A bypass also reduces weight, not unsprung though.

And, really, I wasn't making a comparison, just noting that a change in wheel face geometry may have an affect on aerodynamics of the car.

Old 03-20-2015, 02:05 AM
aznkuja328
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Great observation, and I would venture to guess that you are correct. I'm not a fan of aftermarket exhaust parts (I feel they're a bit hacky), BUT an easy fix for this issue would seem to be just making a diffuser plate that bolts to the bypass and hangs down to match the bottom shape of the 3rd muffler.
Looks like there's a solution now.

Originally Posted by CPederse
I agree that this will have downforce effect. Most downfoece come from the underbody design versus from wing etc. Disturbing the airflow right where it matters the most (as it exits the underbody) will definitely have impact....

I suggested this as opportunity for a new part to sell along with bypass to SW .... Would love to get one!
I would be down for the new part!

Originally Posted by fastmd
Looks good, any more info? I'm not worried about the aero, but it looks more finished.
I have contacted hoopumpers and will get in contact with vision for more info. there is a possibility that i will visit them tomorrow and report back here.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:51 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

i think you worry too much and too academic
1. if you want over all performance, reliability, durability, liveability, stay oem. it's the best. this is porsche, they have a few engineers there. not all smart, but some are.

2. if you want sound, get a bypass. pick the one that sounds to your liking

3. if racing, then yes aftermkt is better, you can bias it and do ecu mods to get the power and tq curve to your liking.

anything more than the above 3 point, is just some cerebral exercise
Old 03-20-2015, 09:05 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess Mooty summed it up.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:26 AM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Could the side muffler delete by BBI be a better option?
The weight off the side locations should better the center of mass. A bit more difficult to install the by-pass.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:16 PM
CP_DXB
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
Pls let us know if/when this will be available for sale, I would like to pick one up.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:44 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

In this months Excellence, TPC has an ad for a side muffler delete with valves they claim reduces weight by 40 lbs, increases hp & tq, with no drone for $1750.

Quick Reply: Potential negative factor with third muffler bypass systems