Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 RS track build: delete everything deletable

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015 | 05:25 AM
anonymous918
Rennlist Member

Default GT3 RS track build: delete everything deletable

I am most likely going to get two cars, one for the street with lift, comfy seats, etc. and one for the pure track driving. For the track I want to build the most lightweight car possible (yeah, i am nowhere near a good enough driver to feel the difference, i know. i just prefer on principle to have the most lightweight RS car possible regardless...)

so the options i am thinking of going with are:

- Lightweight battery
- PCCB
- deletion of model designation
- fire extinguisher
- A/C delete
- Radio delete

a couple of questions that i thought i'd ask just in case somebody knows:

- which headlights weight less, LED or Bi-Xenon?
- how much weight does extended range fuel tank add?
- how much weight illuminated door sill guards add?

thanks...
Old 03-09-2015 | 06:43 AM
928cs
Race Car

I'm sure Porsche could sell you a car without carpet and glove box, à la 993 RS CS.
With a full cage, it would be fun.
Old 03-09-2015 | 08:42 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by anonymous918
I am most likely going to get two cars, one for the street with lift, comfy seats, etc. and one for the pure track driving. For the track I want to build the most lightweight car possible (yeah, i am nowhere near a good enough driver to feel the difference, i know. i just prefer on principle to have the most lightweight RS car possible regardless...)

- Lightweight battery
- PCCB
- fire extinguisher
- A/C delete
- Radio delete

thanks...
AC delete will make the car less desirable should you decide to sell. so does small fuel tank.
Old 03-09-2015 | 08:43 AM
Glen
Race Car

I am most likely going to get two cars, one for the street with lift, comfy seats, etc. and one for the pure track driving. For the track I want to build the most lightweight car possible (yeah, i am nowhere near a good enough driver to feel the difference, i know. i just prefer on principle to have the most lightweight RS car possible regardless...) so the options i am thinking of going with are: - Lightweight battery - PCCB - deletion of model designation - fire extinguisher - A/C delete - Radio delete a couple of questions that i thought i'd ask just in case somebody knows: - which headlights weight less, LED or Bi-Xenon? - how much weight does extended range fuel tank add? - how much weight illuminated door sill guards add? thanks...
Why not a cup for the track and rs for street?
Old 03-09-2015 | 08:51 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

thanks...
I think headlights are a wash, I believe led assemblies weight a fraction more but xenon ballast probably offset that small difference. Extended tank is same weight as standard tank. Extra fuel, if you decide to top off is only weight difference.
The illuminated door sills add very little as the led strip underneath to illuminate is very light but if your stripping car then strip car, save these for your "loaded" version you order.
Old 03-09-2015 | 09:19 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

I am most likely going to get two cars, one for the street with lift, comfy seats, etc. and one for the pure track driving. For the track I want to build the most lightweight car possible (yeah, i am nowhere near a good enough driver to feel the difference, i know. i just prefer on principle to have the most lightweight RS car possible regardless...) so the options i am thinking of going with are: - Lightweight battery - PCCB - deletion of model designation - fire extinguisher - A/C delete - Radio delete a couple of questions that i thought i'd ask just in case somebody knows: - which headlights weight less, LED or Bi-Xenon? - how much weight does extended range fuel tank add? - how much weight illuminated door sill guards add? thanks...
With the P cars you have I would guess they can custom make you a stripper!
I'm working on the same thing but for some reason I think you have a better chance than me!
Old 03-09-2015 | 09:49 AM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

2 rs? niceee
Old 03-09-2015 | 10:00 AM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

how much does a cup car cost?

if you are going to build a dedicated RS for the track a cup car might be a way better option
Old 03-09-2015 | 10:03 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

do it, and when you tire of it i'll be in line to pick it up used from you :-)
just like my spec of 997.1rs except i have ac.
extended fuel tank in other models added a couple lbs. i'd get it as it means more track miles per tank
pass on any cosmetic items
unsure on led vs. xenon. too bad they don't have a halogen option w/o the washers (like my 997). the lights you save a lb or 2, the washers delete save you about 5lbs

I think the fun thing to do would to also get the OEM clubsport parts installed somehow. plexi windows, clubsport cage, etc.
Old 03-09-2015 | 10:06 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

I considered doing the same on the RS. Ultimately I decided against it, most of my miles will be driving to the track and I just don't see the idea of getting in a car with AC after a full day in my track car appealing. I still might get 2 RSs, but only if the second is PTS and I will just store it.
Old 03-09-2015 | 03:35 PM
major dad
Racer

When I was specing my Gen 2 RS in 2010 I thought along these lines. Here's my decisions.

Aircon
Why delete it, you could accept it and have it removed and sell it.
Aircon is needed on misty wet days to clear front screen, blower alone will not do it.

Radio Delete
You gain by also deleting the wiring and speakers but loose as you have no phone conectivity, you know when you get that phone call as you drive a few hours to the track day, " don t bother Dave, it's cancelled ! "

It would severly decrease the number of potential buyers when you sell. I did not get lift on mine but I'd say half of the inquiries when I was selling lost interest when I said no lift. Silly really, add a ton of weight and something to go wrong but seems other people suffer from their drive inclination and or speed humps.
Old 03-09-2015 | 04:33 PM
Dan39
Racer

- Lightweight battery
- PCCB
- fire extinguisher
- A/C delete
- Radio delete

thanks...
GT3 RS is a great street/track option, i.e., you drive to the track, play with it, drive home, do the occasional weekend trip.

GT3 RS is a terrible track-only/race car option from both a value perspective and from a performance perspective.

The only way I could see it making any sense is if for some strange reason you cannot have your race car stored or transported to the track and crewed for you. And even then I still don't see how it benefits you to have a option-delete version of the same car where you're not going to feel the difference.
Old 03-09-2015 | 04:42 PM
kosmo
Race Director

forget the Factory "light weight" and get a lighter braille instead.
Old 03-09-2015 | 05:04 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Glen
Why not a cup for the track and rs for street?
I agree.

Or just a base GT3 for street and Cup for track
Old 03-09-2015 | 05:54 PM
IvanBurns
Instructor

- Lightweight battery
- PCCB
- fire extinguisher
- A/C delete
- Radio delete

thanks...
I am thinking along similar lines as you since I will be tracking the RS heavily and care a lot about weight. Here is what I am currently thinking:

Lightweight battery - Will definitely get a LWB, but am still investigating whether 3rd party options are better and/or cheaper.

PCCBs - Will stay with the steel rotors. I track a lot and don't want to go through 3-4 sets of PCCBs every season.

Fire extinguisher - Yes, although 3rd party would also be fine.

Radio delete - Yes, because it's not just the radio but also the speakers. In total, it adds up to as much as 20 lbs.

A/C delete - Will probably include the A/C but have the compressor removed by my track mechanic. I could then have it reinstalled later if I change my mind or some future buyer wants it. The compressor accounts for almost all of the weight of the system. Another factor here is that I trailer my cars to the track, so A/C is less important to me.

Note that if you are going to track this car, you really need to get a roll bar and six point harnesses installed. This car is just too fast to be driven without that basic safety setup. You have to go to third parties to get the roll bar and harnesses in the US.

Enjoy your cars!

Last edited by IvanBurns; 03-09-2015 at 05:57 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: GT3 RS track build: delete everything deletable