Sponsored by:

Trade IN Value

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 12:28 PM
blinsc
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vic55
Based on a 5-9k valuation, once can assume its an older car with higher miles... but if its clean Carmax is a good start for a decent offer in most cases... The dealer will low ball the trade because its not a keeper on their lot (Porsche dealer for sure wont house 5-9k used cars) and they will have to wholesale it out.
It's not a 5-9k car, the value he's being offered is 5-9k lower than the asking prices he's seeing on AutoTrader.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:32 PM
vic55
Racer

Received 759 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by blinsc
It's not a 5-9k car, the value he's being offered is 5-9k lower than the asking prices he's seeing on AutoTrader.
thanks, sunday speed reading has me all messed up..
Old 03-01-2015, 02:34 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by vic55
Based on a 5-9k valuation, once can assume its an older car with higher miles... but if its clean Carmax is a good start for a decent offer in most cases... The dealer will low ball the trade because its not a keeper on their lot (Porsche dealer for sure wont house 5-9k used cars) and they will have to wholesale it out.
Not an actual value of 5-9K but that's amount below what they are offered for on autotrader.....and that sounds about right for a trade.....dealer is gonna want to make some money and if the OP doesn't like the offer he can private sale it.....from my perspective I would take the low offer, make up some tax savings, and be done with the car.....
Old 03-01-2015, 03:49 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
But then you're stuck living in Texas.
Lived in both. Cant deny CA's weather and natural beauty.

Still perfer The Lone Star State.
Btw wanna move this to OT?
Old 03-01-2015, 03:59 PM
blinsc
Advanced

Originally Posted by kosmo

Don't know about you kosmo but here in north Houston (Willowbrook/Champions area), that image just about exactly sums up how I feel, particularly the last few weeks.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:55 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
Not an actual value of 5-9K but that's amount below what they are offered for on autotrader.....and that sounds about right for a trade.....dealer is gonna want to make some money and if the OP doesn't like the offer he can private sale it.....from my perspective I would take the low offer, make up some tax savings, and be done with the car.....
what car do you have?
I am planning to trade my 08 M5 38000 miles.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:59 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
Thats what I would be taking. I think in about 2 years, I have bought 3 cars and I was ahead on all of them. You cannot win them all.

For me if they could adjust their offer by about 3k I would be happier with my trade. Not too much really.

I told them to let me know as soon as the car is on route to the dealership and lets get over this.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:00 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by thxbuff2001
Yeah, hmmmm...not a surprise statement, but the M cars not so great on the resale. Hope it works out.

GREAT NEWS--GT3 is in bound!!
Old 03-01-2015, 08:01 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

I have lived in Los Angeles and now I am in texas. Opportunity brought me here.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:09 PM
arena-RTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what would be the best way to estimate trade in value? How much difference would you allow if the dealer is not exactly giving you your expected value?

I have my numbers already and ready to trade my car but I would like to see how much I have been suckered by my stealer.
Do it (basically) the same way a dealer does it:

1. Go to cars.com and search for all used cars in with the same year, make, and model, and sort the list by mileage
2. Find the least expensive 3-4 cars available with similar mileage, and average their asking prices together.
3. Deduct 10%, and anything the car will need in service in the next year (tires, brakes, etc)

Basic wholesale value. Viola.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:12 PM
arena-RTR
Rennlist Member

Sorry for the confusion. My GT3 is in SD waiting for transport.
I have a car to trade. Seems like they are quoting me about 5-9k below asking price in Autotrader for my tradein.

I am ready to trade it in because I have other things in my life that I made a killing. I just want to know how much I a losing on a trade.

Of course they are... The cars you see on Autotrader have no buyers at those prices: If they did, they would already be sold. Even then, how many buyers do you think expect to pay the asking price they saw listed when they go to buy used car? I've been selling cars for a long time, and let me answer that one for you: Zero.

So why would a dealership buy a car from you, go through the hassle of transferring title, list the car online, pay for a location that is easy for buyers to go see the car and someone to answer phone calls and do test drives, only to lose a few thousand dollars when they sell it?

Personally, if I got a trade-in value that was only $5k less than what I saw on autotrader, I would give them the keys and run for the hills.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:29 PM
arena-RTR
Rennlist Member

Your car is worth between $20k and $24,000. If your car is loaded, has never been in an accident or had anything repainted, has 1 owner, has new tires, has new brakes, has the most recent service completed, and is in a desirable color, then you may be able to get as much as $25k.

Do NOT accept anything less than $20k, unless your car has bald tires, has been in a major accident, and needs a major service in the next 6 months. In that case, I would list it on cars.com for $25k, and see if you get lucky and find a buyer willing to overlook the issues to get the best deal available. (still a massive pain, because he will probably be pissed when he finds out he has to spend $1000's just a few months after buying it.)
Old 03-01-2015, 09:07 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Id also get a estimate from carmax as a comp vs trade in.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:11 PM
Gef3rd
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 13 Posts

Try placing the car on consignment with your dealer. You will get a higher price and the car will be out of the garage. My friend had an '04 turbo cab that two dealers offered him 35k for. He knew he was being low balled but his wife wanted the car out of the garage. Dealer listed it for 54K and my friend netted 45K after 3-4 months.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:22 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by Gef3rd
Try placing the car on consignment with your dealer. You will get a higher price and the car will be out of the garage. My friend had an '04 turbo cab that two dealers offered him 35k for. He knew he was being low balled but his wife wanted the car out of the garage. Dealer listed it for 54K and my friend netted 45K after 3-4 months.
Doing this he will not be able to get the tax credit if not sold before new car paperwork is complete.

Problem is most dealers will not want to keep a 35k mile M car on their lot--it's a wholesale unit to them.

Just dump it for the highest price you can get and move on...that car is not worth screwing around too much.

Quick Reply: Trade IN Value