Sponsored by:

Sport bucket seats and children

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 02:03 PM
focal
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
i have 2 kids, 2.5 yr and 4.5 yr olds. Nothing i would love more than to bring them in the car. Show me where it says i can with a booster please!!!! that would b e great
I would never go by the web to give me a definitive answer. I've asked my sales guy to give me a definitive answer from Porsche Canada that boosters in a LWB is okay or not.

Does a booster need to be locked into place if you put a kid in the front seat? My neighbor has a booster that locks into the LATCH hooks at the base of the seat but most boosters I have seen are loose and not locked into place.

Another tidbit while researching.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...ules/index.htm
Old 02-25-2015, 02:07 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by focal
I would never go by the web to give me a definitive answer. I've asked my sales guy to give me a definitive answer from Porsche Canada that boosters in a LWB is okay or not. Does a booster need to be locked into place if you put a kid in the front seat? My neighbor has a booster that locks into the ISOFIX hooks but most boosters I have seen are loose and not locked into place.
No. Boosters by definition are not locked into place. It's a booster seat like you used to sit at in a restaurant. It's boosts you higher. Nothing else.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:29 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
Correct but the issue here, I believe, remains that the Porsche tequipment seats (all three models) are really car seats and NOT booster seats.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/tequipment-childseats/

The biggest model, the Junior plus seat, can function as both a car seat and a booster but these seats are primarily "seats" and not the same as a booster which lifts the child up so that the belt properly crosses his/her chest and relies on the protection of the actual seat in the car and not the "car seat".
Porsche Junior Plus Seat looks exactly like a booster. How is that not a booster; age 4 and up; and using the cars seat belt as the restraint?
Old 02-25-2015, 04:34 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

I have the 18-way seats and there are no provisions for a latch system with those seats either. The only way to secure a car seat would be to use the GT3s seat belt and lock it.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:55 PM
991RDC
Instructor

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
Porsche Junior Plus Seat looks exactly like a booster. How is that not a booster; age 4 and up; and using the cars seat belt as the restraint?
The Porsche Junior Seat is what I am currently using for my soon to be 7 year old. This seat has a guide built in where the seat belt goes through the seat to lower the belt height. If I were to use the booster seat part only, the belt would sit too high across him. This is the seat I was mainly asking Adam Miller about or any other type of seat that would work for the Sport Buckets, and the answer was no to any child seats, no to any options. Hopefully I can get the final answer about booster seats.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:23 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Because like every other aspect of this question, the answer isn't that simple.

The Junior Plus seat can function as both a high back booster and a traditional car seat. Either of those are different than a traditional booster seat like this:

Regulations are different by country (and I think by state) but if your child is old enough, tall enough and heavy enough, then he/she can use a traditional booster.

The big difference between the high back booster and the traditional booster is that when you're using the Porsche Junior Seat as a high back booster your child is relying on the safety of the passenger seat shell complimented by the booster seat shell and the safety belt. When you use a traditional booster, the booster only serves to raise his/her shoulder point and the child is relying EXCLUSIVELY on the shell of the passenger seat and the safety belt for his her/safety.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:45 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The big difference between the high back booster and the traditional booster is that when you're using the Porsche Junior Seat as a high back booster your child is relying on the safety of the passenger seat shell complimented by the booster seat shell and the safety belt. When you use a traditional booster, the booster only serves to raise his/her shoulder point and the child is relying EXCLUSIVELY on the shell of the passenger seat and the safety belt for his her/safety.
I think we're on the same page with this. If a traditional booster is okay, then surely a high-back booster seat (if it fits within the seat cushion bolsters) should be even safer to use. I think there's a lot of CYA-ing by Porsche, to the detriment of useful information and guidelines.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:55 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

I appreciate the additional clarification regarding high back booster vs. traditional.

The Junior Plus Seat shown above still looks like just a high back booster to me, not a traditional car seat. How would you use this in lieu of a car seat?
Old 02-25-2015, 06:48 PM
991RDC
Instructor

With this Junior Plus Seat vs. the booster only, the integrated adjustable guide lowering the seat belt across the chest and the added side impact protection gives better support. There's not point with this seat using only the booster, the seat belt would sit too high for my child and I prefer the added side impact protection.

Last edited by 991RDC; 03-04-2015 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:16 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 991RDC
With this Junior Plus Seat vs. the booster only, the integrated adjustable guide lowering the seat belt across the chest and the added side impact protection gives better support. There wold be not point with this seat using only the booster, the seat belt would sit too high for my child and I prefer the added side impact protection.
What is the age and weight of the child you use this seat for? I would like to find a good alternative to a more traditional car seat for my 33lb 3 year old. A "booster plus" or high back booster with side support seems a decent compromise, but I still have some concern about the inability to manually shut off the passenger air bag.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:18 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Note it does say that "the use of a child seat is permitted only in conjunction with child seat preparation" before the "Child seat must not be used with Sports bucket seats".

The child seat preparation isn't available for the Sports bucket seats, so I think this is the main issue with the Porsche child seats.
Nate, what child seat preparation are we talking about? I am not aware of that being available for my 18 way seats either. There are no anchors for a latch/isofix system and no way to manually turn off the airbag.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:20 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Sorry, this is not correct with more modern seats designed in Europe for 9 moth olds to 4 year olds. The one I have has a 83% safety rating when used isofix plus seatbelt and 81% when just seatbelt.

The ratings with seatbelt only is higher than all but 1 other seat available today by the Swiss and German crash test authorities. Both cases it was the first seat ever to get 5 stars.
Nate, what seat exactly do you have? I am interested in this for my 3 year old, so he can ride in my 18 way seats in the GT3.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:42 PM
991RDC
Instructor

What is the age and weight of the child you use this seat for? I would like to find a good alternative to a more traditional car seat for my 33lb 3 year old. A "booster plus" or high back booster with side support seems a decent compromise, but I still have some concern about the inability to manually shut off the passenger air bag.
He will be 7 in April and is about 45 pounds, and my 4 year old is about 36 pounds and fits perfect in the seat as well. It's easy to adjust this child seat for both of them being different heights. I have had the older one in this seat for about 3 years. This Junior Seat sits in the 18 way really well.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:41 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Correct but the issue here, I believe, remains that the Porsche tequipment seats (all three models) are really car seats and NOT booster seats.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/tequipment-childseats/

The biggest model, the Junior plus seat, can function as both a car seat and a booster but these seats are primarily "seats" and not the same as a booster which lifts the child up so that the belt properly crosses his/her chest and relies on the protection of the actual seat in the car and not the "car seat".
that's exactly right. car seats and boosters, different thing. here is a booster. asked my college roommate who is an ER doc for his opinion on this. all a booster seat does is put someone at the right height for a seatbelt, his opinion was that if the airbag off light is illuminated, no issue...
Attached Images  
Old 02-25-2015, 11:42 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
i have 2 kids, 2.5 yr and 4.5 yr olds. Nothing i would love more than to bring them in the car. Show me where it says i can with a booster please!!!! that would b e great
your kids ages and weights aren't appropriate for boosters yet...only car seats, which don't work in LWB...

Quick Reply: Sport bucket seats and children