Sponsored by:

evo: Z06 v. GT3

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 01:18 AM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Gt3Fan
Do major magazines like EVO, always borrow cars they are testing?
No - the Vette was a factory tester, but the GT3 is kind of done being promoted by the factory/PCNA and they did not have a car for them. Rather than omit it entirely, they went to plan B - a real world car...
Old 02-03-2015, 01:47 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by JCBH
Eagerly awaiting the print copy - saw the iPad version - that is my GT3 in the article and love the photos they published. They are gonna send me the full res pics as well. Can't wait! Will make for some good desktop pics!
Jeff
Frame it!

I'm sure you had a blast- so what did you think of the Z?
Old 02-03-2015, 01:54 AM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by montoya
Frame it! I'm sure you had a blast- so what did you think of the Z?
For sure - They are sending me some copies. Will definitely be framed in the garage.
As for the Z, it is definitely not for me. Not my kind of automotive experience.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:59 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

....As for the Z, it is definitely not for me. Not my kind of automotive experience.
Tell us more ab that...
Old 02-03-2015, 02:06 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rand Pobst Willow

GT3 - 1:27.22
Z06 - 1:27.10

Pretty close.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:09 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Rand Pobst Willow GT3 - 1:27.22 Z06 - 1:27.10 Pretty close.
Yup. Much closer than many expected. The z06 is not making the power advertised.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:18 AM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Tell us more ab that...
Don't want to offend Corvette people, but it was just not for me - everything about it seemed to be trying too hard. It is a car that seems to be trying to compete with something else on the market as an answer (GT3?) whereas when you get back in the GT3 after spending time in the Corvette, it just feels....right. The throttle is so instinctual, the steering is so communicative and overall feeling is just "right." The Corvette is one of those stats cars - all numbers...whereas the GT3 is greater than the sum of its parts. As a package, as a tool, it is like a scalpel carving through turns. Up on Angeles Crest Highway, Jethro literally did not want to give my car back to me. He tried to get me to drive the Vette some more but I had no enthusiasm for it, to the point that I was bored and getting pissed. It did nothing for me.
I am sure people who are looking for that sledgehammer feeling will like it. The noise does nothing for me, the steering was numb, the suspension was crude, tons of grip and great brakes, but as always the interior was cheap and plasticky (better than previous iterations) but I think clearly made for a different, less picky customer, and most obviously, done on a budget.
A funny annoyance I shared with the guys was how the lights in the rear view mirror housing are red and blue - no **** - the Onstar and some other light - always on!! I constantly thought I was getting pulled over. Some stupid interior ergonomics team missed that one. So weird.
Like I said, just not for me. The Corvette has some amazing parts to it (brakes, engine...), but unlike the GT3, it is no better than what it's parts add up to.
Last note is the super-cheesy plaque in he center console outlining the horsepower and torque numbers (both 650). Not sure why someone would want that there...but not surprising given the bombast that that car is all about. We were all laughing at that plaque - it was even crooked!!!
Old 02-03-2015, 02:53 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Z06 has issues on track, the car is a fatty now and the heat soak is worse than anticipated. Someone will have to figure out the ECU to really extract the HP out of this car.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:46 AM
1pvr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, when I saw Jethro from a distance, with smoke coming from my tires after a few drifts at Willow, that was enough for me! Jethro was just warming up, but he knew he was gonna wreck my tires so he called it a day. Very respectful guy, and much appreciated. But a lot of temptation!
He knows the GT3 so well, having logged so many miles in different cars. My car was there as a reminder to him so there was a simple back to back. Tough part was getting him out of my car, while I had to drive the Vette. More fun for him, we both agreed.
Certainly very cool that your car now has that "history" of a cover shot on EVO and use for a comparison article (in which it won the comparo!).

Still, EVO should at least have ponied up for a couple of new rears for you, and better yet a full set of tires, as compensation for use of your car. Then there would have been no remorse for leaving some rubber on the road.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:22 AM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not surprised--GT3 is in another class.

I've seen some Z06's loaded to over $110k and one could get a stripper GT3 for $130's. No brainer for me.

I bought a '14 C7 (as a fourth car) when they first came out and sold it three weeks later. All plastic on the inside (audio integration was nice though), service at Chevy dealer was deplorable--get same treatment as Suburban owner, the 'vette stigma' that came along with ownership (but go spend 30 minutes in the Corvette forum and you'll know what I'm talking about) and at the end of the day it's a Chevy. For those owners here, I'm genuinely happy for you, as I know you appreciate all cars and it's another one in the stable to have fun with.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:28 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

I had a 2014 c7 z51 manual for 9 months but sold it to help fund my 991 gt3 139k MSRP. Tracked it two days and took a discounted 2 day level 2 corvette track session at ron fellows course outside of Vegas. Car was fun to drive but track prep was annoying with front rotor cooling rings on and off for track days. Could lead to corrosion if left on.
Although 2x as much the 991gt3 is my dd. The delta for the z06 would be about 30k and few would be able to tell the difference between the z06 and C7 imo. Unless you are a corvette fan of which I guess I am not.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:47 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't want to offend Corvette people, but it was just not for me - everything about it seemed to be trying too hard. It is a car that seems to be trying to compete with something else on the market as an answer (GT3?) whereas when you get back in the GT3 after spending time in the Corvette, it just feels....right. The throttle is so instinctual, the steering is so communicative and overall feeling is just "right." The Corvette is one of those stats cars - all numbers...whereas the GT3 is greater than the sum of its parts. As a package, as a tool, it is like a scalpel carving through turns. Up on Angeles Crest Highway, Jethro literally did not want to give my car back to me. He tried to get me to drive the Vette some more but I had no enthusiasm for it, to the point that I was bored and getting pissed. It did nothing for me.
I am sure people who are looking for that sledgehammer feeling will like it. The noise does nothing for me, the steering was numb, the suspension was crude, tons of grip and great brakes, but as always the interior was cheap and plasticky (better than previous iterations) but I think clearly made for a different, less picky customer, and most obviously, done on a budget.
A funny annoyance I shared with the guys was how the lights in the rear view mirror housing are red and blue - no **** - the Onstar and some other light - always on!! I constantly thought I was getting pulled over. Some stupid interior ergonomics team missed that one. So weird.
Like I said, just not for me. The Corvette has some amazing parts to it (brakes, engine...), but unlike the GT3, it is no better than what it's parts add up to.
Last note is the super-cheesy plaque in he center console outlining the horsepower and torque numbers (both 650). Not sure why someone would want that there...but not surprising given the bombast that that car is all about. We were all laughing at that plaque - it was even crooked!!!
Enjoyed reading your take. Thanks for posting. Sounds to me like a wolf in big bad wolf's Halloween costume: immense, threatening, yet immediately obvious and somewhat plastic, both figuratively and literally. And lacking nuance that you'd appreciate more with time. However, still an astounding bargain for the price IMO, and arguably a very worthy contender.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:49 AM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ATXGT3
Not surprised--GT3 is in another class.

I've seen some Z06's loaded to over $110k and one could get a stripper GT3 for $130's. No brainer for me.

I bought a '14 C7 (as a fourth car) when they first came out and sold it three weeks later. All plastic on the inside (audio integration was nice though), service at Chevy dealer was deplorable--get same treatment as Suburban owner, the 'vette stigma' that came along with ownership (but go spend 30 minutes in the Corvette forum and you'll know what I'm talking about) and at the end of the day it's a Chevy. For those owners here, I'm genuinely happy for you, as I know you appreciate all cars and it's another one in the stable to have fun with.
Since this thread, I've been heading over to the vett forum for entertainment lol. Not posting, just reading the absurdities.

There are some good guys over there no doubt, but for the most part I have never seen a forum so filled with jack ***'s, what a cluster F*3%&K. There is an air of desperation and ridiculousness over there, unmatched.

For example, someone posted that BS stat that the Zo6 had done the ring, just two seconds slower than the 918 LOL. You have to have part of your brain missing to believe that. No matter how much of a fan, get real. Yet many of them, were ecstatic, like it was perfectly possible. Of course GM had to come out with a statement saying the time was not real and just a hoax. But the willingness to believe any nonsense over there to justify their purchase is on another level.

Hell, I love my GT3, but I have no delusions of what it can and can't do.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:09 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

When the Z06 does post a ring time it may be in the 7:07-7:10 range. But it's driving on the edges and even the corvette test driver Jim Mero has had a off track incident at the 'Ring while testing. Our Gt3 is so well mannered by comparison you'll likely have a lesser chance of a "brown shorts" moment on the track unless you are overdriving your abilities and "running out of talent". IMO
Old 02-03-2015, 12:12 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by seapar
When the Z06 does post a ring time it may be in the 7:07-7:10 range. But it's driving on the edges and even the corvette test driver Jim Mero has had a off track incident at the 'Ring while testing. Our Gt3 is so well mannered by comparison you'll likely have a lesser chance of a "brown shorts" moment on the track unless you are overdriving your abilities and "running out of talent". IMO
So basically brown mist VS red mist.

Quick Reply: evo: Z06 v. GT3