Sponsored by:

Track App?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 02:26 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
The guy who received his GT4 on the GT4 section of this forum seems to be able to make it work.
He's also running a VBox side by side to verify and help with GPS receiver.
I have no doubt that people can get it to work. I have doubts about how reliable it will be. If it hasn't missed a session on them yet, it will. Then there's the issue of not being able to export overlaid video...
Old 05-17-2015, 07:50 PM
doba_s
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Solo DL seems to work very well. And connecting to ECU is a piece of cake too!
Old 05-17-2015, 07:58 PM
DucatiSPS
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 33 Posts

the not being able to export overlay video is just plain stupid. I can handle it not being a track tool (got a Solo), but for ease of use and quick posting up to boards/fb/youtube, it has the potential to be worth the money.

I railed at my dealer and the PCNA rep. None of them, not a single person in the dealership or PCNA that I could reach had ever even tested/been trained on it.

2800 and no training. They sure did push it when ordering as a "must have", I remember that conversation, because it wasn't on my sheet, then got added at the last minute.

I do like the clock, would've paid $500 for it.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:20 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 633 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by DucatiSPS
the not being able to export overlay video is just plain stupid. I can handle it not being a track tool (got a Solo), but for ease of use and quick posting up to boards/fb/youtube, it has the potential to be worth the money.

I railed at my dealer and the PCNA rep. None of them, not a single person in the dealership or PCNA that I could reach had ever even tested/been trained on it.

2800 and no training. They sure did push it when ordering as a "must have", I remember that conversation, because it wasn't on my sheet, then got added at the last minute.

I do like the clock, would've paid $500 for it.
The option was $1,850, to be fair...

I've been able to get it to work reasonably well on track. Manually exporting and recording the video via AirPlay to a Mac is a pain, but at least it is possible to extract the video when you want it. I'm hoping an update will resolve this.

I tried it with an external 10 Hz GPS at the last track day (thinking this might give me more accurate data than just the phone's GPS). While I was able to get it to work, the WiFi connection seemed to have a hard time connecting while the app was also connected to the Bluetooth external GPS. I did get a few good sessions with the 10 Hz GPS logger and the data looked slightly smoother.

But my guess is the 1 Hz phone GPS coupled with the interpolation of the inertial sensors / vehicle speed sensors / etc. is plenty accurate for basic lap timing.

Only real benefit I see of using an AiM Solo DL over the Porsche Track Precision app is the ability to more easily compare data across a larger body of users. Very few people are using the track app, and I'd guess an even smaller set of those are "hard core" track folks that want to compare data to extract every last bit of time...
Old 06-13-2015, 07:09 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

My Solo died and I need a quick fix for a laptimer by tomorrow. Which Harry's Laptimer shall I get for my iPhone 4S? Petrolhead or Grand Prix? What's the TLDR on their differences? Would I get reliable 0.1s precision on either by just using my phone's GPS?

Where's the best place for sourcing the latest Solo DL + SmartyCam set-up? How much does a shop typically charge for the install and hooking everything up (camera, OBD, etc.)? My (now dead) Solo is not a DL -- do I toss it and get a DL or is there a "recycle" program at Aim (I wish ).

Quick Reply: Track App?