Sponsored by:

New gt3, first track day, MSR Cresson Texas

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 11:41 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
If you want the timer on the car/chrono watch/pcm to count a lap, Yes. The app will mark your laps automatically on the phone, but the chrono timer will not. They are completely separate systems that do not interact. At all.
It's a shame, too because the on board chrono/pcm timer has a nice feature where the timer will turn green if you are faster than the last lap, yellow if you are on pace, and red if you are slower. Unfortunately, the need to pull the stupid stalk every lap makes the feature useless.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:43 PM
DucatiSPS
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 30 Posts

If you want the timer on the car/chrono watch/pcm to count a lap, Yes. The app will mark your laps automatically on the phone, but the chrono timer will not. They are completely separate systems that do not interact. At all.
Yeah this is the case. On the car I had to toggle the lower right stalk. The app, when it works does it automatically. Think I am just going to get a Solo and call it a day. on the bright side, I have a really cool $3000 clock in the center of my dash.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:06 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 626 Likes on 383 Posts

If you want the timer on the car/chrono watch/pcm to count a lap, Yes.

The app will mark your laps automatically on the phone, but the chrono timer will not. They are completely separate systems that do not interact. At all.
Ugh. One of the reasons I bought the 2015 SC was so that I didn't need a phone on the dash and could just use the PCM for lap time visualization automatically without the stalk.

Total fail, Porsche!!!
Old 02-01-2015, 12:11 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by DucatiSPS
Yeah this is the case. On the car I had to toggle the lower right stalk. The app, when it works does it automatically. Think I am just going to get a Solo and call it a day. on the bright side, I have a really cool $3000 clock in the center of my dash.
Yeah, Solo and call it a day is the way to go. It's too bad because the Porsche system had potential, but they did pretty much everything wrong....
Old 02-01-2015, 12:49 AM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was a pleasure to have you and at least 2 others in 991 GT3s on track today, not including Darth Vader from next door who decided to make a run later in the day. That's a pretty big number for such a rare car! And they appear not to melt in the wet, too. As for studmuffin who talks about how far OP has to go, perhaps he could post some laps to educate us. I have a Solo DL he can borrow and he can post all manner of helpful quantitative info to guide us in our quest for pace, like throttle position and of course pace in each corner. I'll post my data when I get my car, too.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:30 AM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Keith Verges - Dallas
It was a pleasure to have you and at least 2 others in 991 GT3s on track today,.
Sounds like a great time--glad you guys didn't let a little water stop the fun
Old 02-01-2015, 12:52 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Verges - Dallas
It was a pleasure to have you and at least 2 others in 991 GT3s on track today, not including Darth Vader from next door who decided to make a run later in the day. That's a pretty big number for such a rare car! And they appear not to melt in the wet, too. As for studmuffin who talks about how far OP has to go, perhaps he could post some laps to educate us. I have a Solo DL he can borrow and he can post all manner of helpful quantitative info to guide us in our quest for pace, like throttle position and of course pace in each corner. I'll post my data when I get my car, too.
Awesome to get the 991s out! Congrats!

Not to hit a hornet's nest - and granted I don't have a 991 - but I do agree that that there is more time out there. 996's can pull 1:22-21s (and maybe a high 1:20 even). 997.1 a second or so faster than that. 997.2 is a little faster still. 991 is even faster. Back of the envelop (1 second gaps per generation) using the 996 as the starting point, would put the 991 at around 1:18 or so.

Here's a video of a 997.1 GT3 from almost 5 years ago. No overlay, but it's right at 1:21. There's more time in the car, but the driver wasn't pushing it. Drove like this and you win the DE for sure.

-td
Old 02-01-2015, 02:16 PM
DucatiSPS
Racer

Yeah I know there is a bunch more time out there, need more track days (or fewer Raptor days..)

here is video from one of the sessions, don't think it was my fastest, but damn it sure sounds good:

Old 02-01-2015, 02:22 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 206 Posts

Himself has some pretty solid track notes for the 1.7CCW out there on another forum. I was going to post them, but I haven't found it yet. Funny he chimed in on this thread. Maybe he can find and share.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:38 PM
rookie1
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 5 Posts

It's a shame, too because the on board chrono/pcm timer has a nice feature where the timer will turn green if you are faster than the last lap, yellow if you are on pace, and red if you are slower. Unfortunately, the need to pull the stupid stalk every lap makes the feature useless.
Yeah I hoped the app could trigger the "new lap" signal to the Chrono/PCM timer
Old 02-01-2015, 02:40 PM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DucatiSPS
Yeah I know there is a bunch more time out there, need more track days (or fewer Raptor days..)

here is video from one of the sessions, don't think it was my fastest, but damn it sure sounds good:

Looks fun and your car sounds good. Is that stock exhaust or do u have sharkworks bypass?
Old 02-01-2015, 03:07 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger22
Himself has some pretty solid track notes for the 1.7CCW out there on another forum. I was going to post them, but I haven't found it yet. Funny he chimed in on this thread. Maybe he can find and share.
I think Keith is the man for track tips. He probably has 10x more laps than anyone that posts here! If I'm not mistaken, he has records in multiple classes as well.

I've been contemplating getting a 991.3 so I've been trolling you guys here

-td
Old 02-01-2015, 03:43 PM
DucatiSPS
Racer

One more video. think my best was set in this one. Also the R8 is my son, who just got moved to intermediate at the last track day. he had put on old rubber and his car was all over the place.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:08 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Great videos, thanks for sharing your first day on that track with your GT3 and you are doing great no doubt. So awesome you can do this with your son (I have a long wait as mine are single digits old). I agree with getting an AIM so you won't be distracted setting the stalk every lap, hoping you hit it at the same exact location.
BTW, I also brake a little before ricochet (although boomerang would have been a more fun, albeit scarier, name) because the car approaches it too fast.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:21 PM
DucatiSPS
Racer

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Great videos, thanks for sharing your first day on that track with your GT3 and you are doing great no doubt. So awesome you can do this with your son (I have a long wait as mine are single digits old). I agree with getting an AIM so you won't be distracted setting the stalk every lap, hoping you hit it at the same exact location. BTW, I also brake a little before ricochet (although boomerang would have been a more fun, albeit scarier, name) because the car approaches it too fast.
Thanks Sam, any videos you have would be great to see, I didn't have a chance to follow any other 911's around, so video learning would be great. Instructor was pretty specific on the lines he had me take, deep into rattlesnake before turning up, and not turning at little bend until I hit the fourth cone. I need a bunch of work on ricochet, big bend (mostly just having the guts to carry the speed) and horseshoe where I just go too wide and can't reel it in time. It is a blast of a track though.

Quick Reply: New gt3, first track day, MSR Cresson Texas