Sponsored by:

TC ESC

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 10:55 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts
Default TC ESC

I noticed TC and ESC did not work today. I haven't restarted the car to see if they're still not working. I do remember them working (turn off) when I took delivery. Anyone else notice this happen, or, is there something I'm doing preventing turning off stability control and traction control?

Dan (typically will never turn these off but for some reason, felt compelled to try today)
Old 01-29-2015, 10:58 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

I may be wrong but I think you have to depress it twice as a safety feature
Old 01-29-2015, 11:03 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Could be having a RTFM moment....I thought I may have pushed a couple of times...I should go back and check it out, again, not that I plan to ever be driving with nannies off.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:10 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Or try holding them if that doesn't do it, I had to hold it on my C4S.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:13 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,526 Likes on 5,055 Posts

There is a "short delay" between depressing the button and when it is activated, or more precisely when TC and/or ESC is deactivated on the car (per the manual at pp. 139-140).
Old 01-30-2015, 12:26 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

I try again later, I was just surprised how there was no lights either on dash or buttons after pressing. I seem to remember the TC should be first depressed to get TC & ECS off. Just want to make sure something else isn't going on and that there is no malfunction.

Odd thing is, I remember reading someone asking how many of us drift like Chris Harris. Well, you know you can't do that with TC on and the thought occurred to me to push the button....with nothing happening. Anyways....

Dan (will try again and check manual if necessary, thanks all)
Old 01-30-2015, 01:31 AM
kaution321
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm
I try again later, I was just surprised how there was no lights either on dash or buttons after pressing. I seem to remember the TC should be first depressed to get TC & ECS off. Just want to make sure something else isn't going on and that there is no malfunction. Odd thing is, I remember reading someone asking how many of us drift like Chris Harris. Well, you know you can't do that with TC on and the thought occurred to me to push the button....with nothing happening. Anyways.... Dan (will try again and check manual if necessary, thanks all)
Dan,

Press and hold the button until it turns red.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:34 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,036 Likes on 534 Posts

We have buttons?
Old 01-30-2015, 07:52 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
We have buttons?

....and the more you pay, the more buttons you get.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:42 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,526 Likes on 5,055 Posts

Just tested it this morning.

Those who said you need to hold it down until it turns red are right.

Unlike the other buttons that activate with a simple push, the TC and TC+ESC buttons require you to hold down the button for about 2 seconds before they activate. Like Jimmy-D said, it probably is a safety feature of some sort.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:54 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Tried this morning, it works. Guess I was pressing and quick releasing instead of holding down.

Thanks guys.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:56 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

^It is. They do not want any law suits for some one accidentally touching it and putting thru a guard rail
Old 01-30-2015, 02:43 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Is there really any reason to touch that button unless you plan on drifting or doing burnouts? Even on the track, I don't find PSM even intervenes unless I made a big mistake.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:24 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Is there really any reason to touch that button unless you plan on drifting or doing burnouts? Even on the track, I don't find PSM even intervenes unless I made a big mistake.
I don't recall the reference but I recall reading from elsewhere on the forum that there is no reason to turn these off. Unless you're a professional race car driver, unlike some other cars where the traction control liberally engages and can slow you down, Porsches TC/ESC is conservative and, like you said, will only intervene when needed. So, you will not have significant gains in time by turning these setting off or loss of time by leaving them on because they don't engage too easily to cause slow downs.

Here's an example of ESC off.

Here's him playing with TC & ESC off and correcting his steering.

Here's an explanation of the two and a good demo

I think you only want to turn either of these off if you're at a race track doing timed events, you know what you're doing to correct steering and, are a pro driver.

Dan (wont ever be turning off TC or ESC)
Old 01-30-2015, 11:57 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

I think for street driving best to keep nannies on. Even if your a seasoned vet, it's best to keep it clean on the street. best to not endanger others by drifting. And will allow you to enjoy the car and keep things in control.. especially since street is ever changing while track is repetition of same turns.

For beginners on the track; I would suggest turing ESC off, but keeping TC on (if this is possible).. the reason being is the TC will help keep the rear in-line if you get on gas too early or too hard.. once you get comfortable, turn the TC off. With nannies off you can truly learn to control the car at the limits.

I miss the days of driving events at El Toro in SoCal (abandoned airport).. where you can push hard with no real consequence besides cone burn. Really dials in the car control. The worst is attempting to learn at a high-speed track where a mistake can be very costly.

Last edited by Laguna_Dude; 01-31-2015 at 12:20 AM.

Quick Reply: TC ESC