Sponsored by:

Turbo 3.6 - $269k

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 09:04 PM
frankee4u
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo 3.6 - $269k

Is it me or prices going crazy!! This dealership (topgear NJ) has some ridiculous cars with prices that sound out of this world - is this car worth that much?

The parse error won't let me upload photo of Instagram - specs:

1994 turbo 3.6
25k miles
GR/cashmere sport seats
Old 01-29-2015, 09:05 PM
frankee4u
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://instagram.com/topgearporschenj/
Old 01-30-2015, 11:58 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 157 Posts

Old Porsche's and I am talking 70's and 80's are bringing huge money. They are cool and drive OK but I really don't get it. A really nice '73 RS is over a million.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:40 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
Old Porsche's and I am talking 70's and 80's are bringing huge money. They are cool and drive OK but I really don't get it. A really nice '73 RS is over a million.
I don't get it either. I've driven or owned most 356 and 911 models since they
were new. They were highly enjoyable compared with any other cars of their era, with better handling, braking and steering. I loved driving them among the sloppy, bulky and far less maneuverable barges on the road with them.

But having driven several of these old Porsches more recently, it was amazed at how poor their handling, braking, steering and acceleration now feel compared with the huge strides that not only Porsche but virtually every other contemporary car has made in the intervening decades of improvements.

Very hard for me to reconcile the nostalgia of those now-ancient chariots with the
numbers that are being paid for them. I expect that bubble to burst and prices to plummet when bank interest rates rise to more reasonable levels and old cars
are revealed as a less than perfect repository of cash. That is exactly what happened to Ferrari prices when they soared after the death of the Company's founder in the mid 1980s. In fact the "worst" Porsche model today is far better
by any objective measure than the "best" Porsche model made 10 or more years
ago.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:53 PM
blackbull
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
were new. They were highly enjoyable compared with any other cars of their era, with better handling, braking and steering. I loved driving them among the sloppy, bulky and far less maneuverable barges on the road with them.

But having driven several of these old Porsches more recently, it was amazed at how poor their handling, braking, steering and acceleration now feel compared with the huge strides that not only Porsche but virtually every other contemporary car has made in the intervening decades of improvements.

Very hard for me to reconcile the nostalgia of those now-ancient chariots with the
numbers that are being paid for them. I expect that bubble to burst and prices to plummet when bank interest rates rise to more reasonable levels and old cars
are revealed as a less than perfect repository of cash. That is exactly what happened to Ferrari prices when they soared after the death of the Company's founder in the mid 1980s. In fact the "worst" Porsche model today is far better
ago.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:01 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,036 Likes on 534 Posts

I had two 94 3.6 turbos, not at the same time. I guess I should have kept at least one of them.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:36 PM
RUF RS
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I had two 94 3.6 turbos, not at the same time. I guess I should have kept at least one of them.
Classic.....
Old 01-30-2015, 02:45 PM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Old school cars are bringing great money. Look at the Ford GT's. I don't think a new Ford GT (when it comes out) will be worth more in market value than the 12 year old previous generation one. I think car enthusiasts all realize that all cars in the future will be hybrid this-and-that, electric steering blah blah blah, green this green that. I think in 20 years, an Enzo will be worth more than a La Ferrari. By then, a Prius will outperform a 918 in some performance categories. As soon as I cannot buy cars without electric propulsion, I will just be buying used cars as my sports cars.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:04 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Same here, sold both of them a few years back when I was convinced it was top of market.....FAIL!!! I love these 964 turbos so I'll have to enjoy life with my look alike 3.3 liter now.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:17 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

Add me to the list of who did the same
Old 01-30-2015, 03:49 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

I convinced a friend of mine to pick one of these up eight years ago. We bought it and road tripped from Kentucky to California, hitting some of the great roads along the way. He's still got it... paid 54k if I'm not mistaken.

Objectively measure any older car it'll always come up short. Subjectively, on the other hand...
Old 01-30-2015, 05:40 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Prices reflect several factors starting with nostalgia among the 50+ age group for their automotive youth. Second this demographic has income available for either investment or discretionary purchasing. Third dealer hubris has worked overtime to generate a buzz that you can have your cake and eat it too despite the obvious reality that these cars were worth only a fraction of the current asking prices five years ago. Only the dealers and a few private sellers will make out in this market.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:42 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrence
Old school cars are bringing great money. Look at the Ford GT's. I don't think a new Ford GT (when it comes out) will be worth more in market value than the 12 year old previous generation one. I think car enthusiasts all realize that all cars in the future will be hybrid this-and-that, electric steering blah blah blah, green this green that. I think in 20 years, an Enzo will be worth more than a La Ferrari. By then, a Prius will outperform a 918 in some performance categories. As soon as I cannot buy cars without electric propulsion, I will just be buying used cars as my sports cars.
To this day I kick myself for not buying a GT and a 2008 Scud instead.....I just didn't think the GT was worth the money and it was cheaper than the Scud back then.....
Old 01-30-2015, 05:54 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 157 Posts

Every time I am tempted by nostalgia I go drive it and it goes away. 911's still look about the same as they always have. My GT3 would hide from any of them.

Enzo era Ferraris are the same they are cool to look at but drive like trucks.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:00 PM
anonymous918
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo

ago.

hey look, i agree with you 100% -- my Cayman grips and hugs the road like an overly attached girlfriend that wouldn't let go. my Cayman stops on the dime. my Cayman has bluetooth and XM and navigation and awesome exhaust note and it is such a fun daily driver...

but i gotta tell you -- i drove my 993 Turbo S yesterday and knowing that less then two hundred of these were made and seeing the car parked on the street brought me a different feeling of enjoyment... sure, it doesn't handle as good and doesn't stop as fast, but you have a different kind of connection to this world driving that car...

Quick Reply: Turbo 3.6 - $269k