Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ENGINE CONTROL FAULT

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 11:28 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thats definitely the thermostat. I've had it twice stuck open like you (front blower fan stays on and wont turn off - car runs a bit lumpy at idle as water temps are low). Its better stuck open than closed (Ive had that too) where the engine will overheat...
Old 12-05-2016, 11:11 AM
71bmw02
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great, thanks. Will confirm once fixed.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:55 PM
71bmw02
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Simple fix from - all working now. Just replaced thermostat.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:04 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I've had it twice stuck open like you (front blower fan stays on and wont turn off
Do you know why is that? Doesn't make any sense. And finally, do you have a link to the system used by Porsche? I understand all mid-engine Porsches don't have a regular thermostat, but rather, an ECU-controlled one. In fact, regular coolant temp on 981s in normal mode is 230ºF, but 190º in sport/sport+ (coolant gauge always say 194 on those cars). Curious what kind of thermostat is in there. Thx.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:07 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by elp_jc
Do you know why is that? Doesn't make any sense. And finally, do you have a link to the system used by Porsche? I understand all mid-engine Porsches don't have a regular thermostat, but rather, an ECU-controlled one. In fact, regular coolant temp on 981s in normal mode is 230ºF, but 190º in sport/sport+ (coolant gauge always say 194 on those cars). Curious what kind of thermostat is in there. Thx.
It makes a lot of sense : the computer turns the fans full blast as a fail safe.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:51 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The thermostat is the same ECU controlled type for 981 & 991 and they fail in both cars regularly. We created a whole thread on the subject on this board years ago where we posted pictures of our failed units etc

The fans stay on as precautionary as previously stated.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:59 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
It makes a lot of sense : the computer turns the fans full blast as a fail safe.
It sure does after a spirited ride.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:58 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

I guess we don't have the same definitions of thermostat vs coolant temp sensor. A Thermostat is just a device (electronic or mechanical) that allows water to pass. A sensor is what transmit the temperature to the ECU. If the thermostat is stuck open, the fans would seldom need to turn on for obvious reasons. If the SENSOR goes bad, then you guys would be right. Which one is it??? Anyway, I'm going to look for that thread, to understand the system better. But the search function is crap on this site. If somebody has it handy, I'd appreciate it.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:25 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

I guess we don't have the same definitions of thermostat vs coolant temp sensor. A Thermostat is just a device (electronic or mechanical) that allows water to pass. A sensor is what transmit the temperature to the ECU. If the thermostat is stuck open, the fans would seldom need to turn on for obvious reasons. If the SENSOR goes bad, then you guys would be right. Which one is it??? Anyway, I'm going to look for that thread, to understand the system better. But the search function is crap on this site. If somebody has it handy, I'd appreciate it.
This system is a bit more complicated than the 2002 Toyota Corolla.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...explained.html
Old 12-17-2016, 10:31 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

This system is a bit more complicated than the 2002 Toyota Corolla.
Yep, I knew that much. Thanks for the link, but why did you delete the pictures on your first post? I'm almost as lost as I was before. But yes, it baffles the mind why in the world our cars don't have a simple 185ºF mechanical thermostat like the rest of automobiledom. Since nobody else uses it, it can't be saving that much fuel. Anyway, my next question for those of us who always drive in sport mode: Are we asking for trouble sooner, since DME is constantly keeping the thermostat energized? Or is that the opposite? Inquiring minds want to know.

Now, after reading that entire thread, my question still stands: Why the hell do fans operate all the time with a 'failure'? The thermostat is a 221ºF mechanical device, which can be heated by the DME to lower coolant temp to 185ºF (by opening sooner). Therefore, if there's a 'failure', the thermostat would start to open normally at 216ºF (and fully at 239), like if we had 'normal' mode on, so why run the fans at anything lower than that, if sensors are working correctly? Am I missing something? THAT is what still doesn't make any sense. Definitely another typical German over-engineered system for a problem that didn't exist.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:42 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Yep, I knew that much. Thanks for the link, but why did you delete the pictures on your first post? I'm almost as lost as I was before. But yes, it baffles the mind why in the world our cars don't have a simple 185ºF mechanical thermostat like the rest of automobiledom. Since nobody else uses it, it can't be saving that much fuel. Anyway, my next question for those of us who always drive in sport mode: Are we asking for trouble sooner, since DME is constantly keeping the thermostat energized? Or is that the opposite? Inquiring minds want to know.

Now, after reading that entire thread, my question still stands: Why the hell do fans operate all the time with a 'failure'? The thermostat is a 221ºF mechanical device, which can be heated by the DME to lower coolant temp to 185ºF (by opening sooner). Therefore, if there's a 'failure', the thermostat would start to open normally at 216ºF (and fully at 239), like if we had 'normal' mode on, so why run the fans at anything lower than that, if sensors are working correctly? Am I missing something? THAT is what still doesn't make any sense. Definitely another typical German over-engineered system for a problem that didn't exist.
Sorry,it's an old thread and some of my older pics got deleted. I agree that the thread doesn't bring as much value without the pics,but it's the one I could think of at the time because I've started it.
The computer knows there's a problem in the coolant system since it controls the thermostat and the engineers introduced a " fail safe " in its operation,it's my only explanation.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:55 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Sorry,it's an old thread and some of my older pics got deleted.
Thanks a lot anyway. I'll keep looking, and post them here if I find any. At any rate, Porsche must have changed something, since it's not a wide-spread problem. Hopefully my 2016 will be immune to that. And yes, will continue using sport mode to keep oil temp around 200, rather than 230.

Quick Reply: ENGINE CONTROL FAULT