Sponsored by:

OT: Cayenne Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 03:42 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
I have a '13 Cayenne GTS. Handles amazingly well for a vehicle its size.
+1 Too bad they went turbo for the next GTS...
Old 01-14-2015, 03:59 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the panny Turbo S did a 7:52.
imagine what a what a PDK-S equipped Cayenne could achieve. Just wow.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:01 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by aamersa
Yes you are correct for road cars used on the road. But these track numbers seem unreal. If this cayenne time is true, then the macan turbo will probably manage the ring in 7.45 putting it pretty close to a 991 carrera S. What is this world coming too?
doubtful. maybe a Macan Turbo S would?
Old 01-14-2015, 04:02 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

All I want to know for a car in its class is if it comes with massage seats,DVDs in the back for the kids,adaptive everything,privacy shades,auto pilot,latte machine,fridge,wine cooler,noise cancelation and hot towel machine.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:11 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
All I want to know for a car in its class is if it comes with massage seats,DVDs in the back for the kids,adaptive everything,privacy shades,auto pilot,latte machine,fridge,wine cooler,noise cancelation and hot towel machine.
Agree. Well put. But this class of cars giving true sports cars a run for their money! That is just not on. Porsche shud then stop dribbling in the power jumps on their sports cars and give them something that wud humiliate the 650s in a straight line and overall. Also kill the 458t (TBA).
Old 01-14-2015, 04:11 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 159 Posts

Mine was 99K. Supposedly the GTS is the best handling. Anyway it has plenty of motor. I wouldn't and didn't pay the upcharge for a turbo.

It's not my GT3 or TT but It still fun to drive and is useful for more purposes.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:20 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
Mine was 99K. Supposedly the GTS is the best handling. Anyway it has plenty of motor. I wouldn't and didn't pay the upcharge for a turbo.

It's not my GT3 or TT but It still fun to drive and is useful for more purposes.
Yes, what u say makes complete sense. Are u keeping the 458 getting a speciale or a 458T?

I could easily get a RS allocation here but won't even consider it I think.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:11 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by aamersa
The bold words are key. My significant experience driving the porsche "big boys" was on track at the last porsche roadshow. I got to try out the panamera turbo S, cayenne turbo and S and macan turbo and S. All this back to back with the sports cars. I thought the big boys were dogs on the track compared to the various 911s and cayman gts. Of course I did not hold this against the big boys as it was inherently an unfair comparison.

Of the big boys I could envision the panny turbo s doing a sub 8 ring time (only barely). I thought the macans were crap on the track and the cayenne an excellent off road car with no place on a track.

That's why either this ring time is baloney or some thing else is going on. If this is true, then perhaps i shud sell the gt3 and get one of these. I am sure my family will be more understanding than if I hang on to my two impractical two seater non-family sport cars.
Few things you should not forget - PTV and PDCC make world of difference on Cayenne, much more than on smaller and sportier cars. If you have driven one without those, that could explain the perception. Another thing is that in Cayenne you sit 5 ft from the ground, which makes it seem that you are going to crash, when you are really going 5/10. Takes a lot to get used to. Finally, N-ring is more about power and brakes than finesse, compared to most other tracks, so Cayenne's performance on the ring is better than it would be on tighter tracks.

For what it's worth, there is a twisty road in the hills where I live, and I can drive it in Cayenne Turbo (with all the good stuff) faster than in GT3. It's mostly because the road is pretty bad and GT3 loses traction and gets airborne too much, but it's a real-life example where on-pavement performance of Cayenne Turbo is better than that of 991 GT3. Put's things in a different perspective, I guess.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:57 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Porsche stopped building the fastest street sports cars it can a long time ago.

The 550 Spyder was perhaps about as fast a car as they could practically make for the street given what they had back in 55, or the 904 ten years later. By the time of the '73 RS lightweight, comfort and usability were already bigger factors, and the original '76 or '78 turbos were clearly de-tuned to make them as fast as drivers could handle.

Since this time you've seen measured performance increases, with driveability, emissions, mileage, comfort, etc getting ever increasing emphasis over speed. The fastest cars, things like 800 hp turbos with stripped interiors, are left to the aftermarket to build, in part because if Porsche really cut lose the cars would be too fast for Porsche's customers to handle. The CGT was clearly beyond what most customers can exploit, and it would be relatively inexpensive to exceed that performance today- drop the GT3 RS's engine into the Cayman and you're essentially there for sub 100k.

Porsche has little interest in handing the bulk of their customers cars that fast, so instead they focus their engineering effort elsewhere and downsize those engines artificially, slowing the cars and improving mileage, etc. The SUVs, however, don't suffer from the same issue. They are still big, heavy cars, so they can still take more of the power and tech Porsche can throw at them and not be "too fast". Hence with the sports cars slowed and the SUVs less so the gap between them is shrinking.

Assuming people are driving cars can't continue to get faster forever. Just as world rally cars and F1 cars have not gotten significantly faster over the last couple decades due to rules limits, street cars will eventually hit a wall. Not because engineers can't make the cars faster, but because drivers can't handle or use it. When that happens one can argue that SUVs and sports cars will eventually become identically fast... We'll see. Far before then, however, all of them will be far to fast to comfortably use all of on a public road. One can argue we've reach that point already.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:01 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Petevb
Far before then, however, all of them will be far to fast to comfortably use all of on a public road. One can argue we've reach that point already.
Long time ago...

The speed limit is 25MPH in NYC.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:21 PM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Long time ago... The speed limit is 25MPH in NYC.
I would argue that it makes no sense to reduce speed limits. Cars are getting far more capable than before, yet speed limits are getting stricter and stricter.

That 25MPH thing in NYC is just an act to raise more revenue. The traffic cases that the government cited had nothing to do with speeding. It's about people jumping out of the road, JWalking and getting hit. It doesn't matter what speed we are going at, if people jump onto the road, they will be hit.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:32 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Fowwiee
That 25MPH thing in NYC is just an act to raise more revenue.
Couldn't agree more!
Old 01-14-2015, 09:06 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a 2012 Turbo with 21" wheels, air suspension and PDCC, etc.
It's an incredibly capable vehicle. I've even been tempted to track mine.
I can believe the number. Those that think it far fetched probably haven't driven one.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:30 PM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couldn't agree more!
I understand that it's not cheap to maintain roads and etc, if the government need more $$, just ask us nicely. If it's going to be used properly towards fixing roads, bridges and etc, I am sure many will be more than happy to support them. But stop coming up with bogus ways to steal from us!

Quick Reply: OT: Cayenne Turbo S