Sponsored by:

OT: Cayenne Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 10:34 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default OT: Cayenne Turbo S

Totally off topic but I know that many gt3 owners also have Cayenne's. Below is the press release. A 7:59 at the Ring is UNBELIEVABLE for a 5000lb SUV. I mean isnt that near the 996 GT3's time? Man. However it does cost nearly $160k....

The new Cayenne Turbo S

The top athlete among SUVs

At the 2015 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, Porsche is also introducing the new Cayenne Turbo S – the top model of the sporty SUV model series. Its re-engineered 4.8-liter V8 biturbo engine now develops 570 hp (419 kW) and 800 Nm (590 ft lb) of torque. A chassis that is tuned for maximum driving dynamics and packs a wide range of control systems also makes the Cayenne Turbo S a genuine top athlete.

It can turn a lap of the North Loop of the Nürburgring in 7:59.74 minutes. The Cayenne sets a new record for SUVs here, and it also proves that every Porsche is a genuine sports car – even in this vehicle segment.

The more spontaneous response of the biturbo engine is primarily a benefit of the integral turbochargers, which are now housed directly in the exhaust manifolds. This new approach also improves combustion. The high-performance engine offers 20 hp more power and 50 Nm (36.8 ft lb) more torque than the previous engine. The Cayenne Turbo S accelerates from zero to 100 km/h in 4.1 seconds – which is 0.4 seconds faster than the previous model (0 – 60 mph in 3.8 seconds). Its top speed is now 284 km/h (176 mph).

The Cayenne Turbo S also underscores its position as a top athlete in its chassis systems. Its standard Porsche Composite Ceramic Brakes (PCCB) include 420 mm front brake discs and, for the first time, ten-piston calipers. The rear brakes have 370 mm discs and four-piston calipers. The active roll stabilization system, Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) proactively reduces side tilt when driving through curves early on. Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV Plus) increases dynamic handling and stability by making specific brake interventions at the right or left rear wheel – this noticeably improves steering into curves and steering precision. The active hang-on all-wheel drive system Porsche Traction Management (PTM) permanently drives the rear wheels while offering fully variable power distribution to the front wheels. Some advantages of the interplay between all systems: excellent driving dynamics and traction as well as a high level of agility at any speed.

Standard features of the Cayenne Turbo S reflect the top level of this model. They include 21-inch wheels in distinctive 911 Turbo design with black painted edges, LED headlights including Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus), full-leather interior with Porsche logo embossed on all head restraints as well as interior carbon accents. Interior styling in a black/creme color combination is making its debut in the Cayenne Turbo S. Creating exterior visual accents are the air inlet surround at the front of the vehicle that is painted in high-gloss black, the undersides of the door mirrors in the same color and the roof spoiler and wheel arch moldings in car color. A sport exhaust system is available as an option in combination with a switchable sound symposer, which optimally transmits the V8 sound experience into the interior.

The Porsche Cayenne Turbo S will be launched in the United States in late-April 2015. The MSRP for the Cayenne Turbo S is $157,300. MSRP does not include a destination charge of $995.

Last edited by kosmo; 01-14-2015 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:36 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Agreed. Just insane to fathom how it achieved that time. And obliterated the RR Sport record.

And the 420mm PCCBs with 10 piston front calipers?!?!
Old 01-14-2015, 10:37 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 625 Likes on 299 Posts

X5m will likely be 755 is the rumor.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:51 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Impressive times, but wtf is Porsche doing with weight these days? Cayenne shouldn't be anywhere near 5,000 lbs. New Q7, which is a larger vehicle is only 4,400 lbs (down 700 lbs from the old model).
Old 01-14-2015, 10:58 AM
kosmo
Race Director

^^^ I think 8:49, but "some say" that its cut corners by driving thru the forest.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:59 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
X5m will likely be 755 is the rumor.
On slicks? I think its doable w/ an DCT.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:04 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Impressive times, but wtf is Porsche doing with weight these days? Cayenne shouldn't be anywhere near 5,000 lbs. New Q7, which is a larger vehicle is only 4,400 lbs (down 700 lbs from the old model).
huge turbos, plumbing, 21inchers, deviating stitching, etc.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:14 PM
NYC_AREA_GT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2013 Cayenne S with all of the chassis and suspension options (ordered it, MSRP ended up at $115k, figured I'd save vs.
the turbo engine spec which was coming out close to $140k) and am constantly amazed how much road and steering feel there is. I think it's an amazing feat of engineering. If I want to go faster than my Cayenne,
I will just take out my 2015 GT3
Old 01-14-2015, 01:25 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't believe this time. Something is missing. Perhaps it was a smaller circuit. Not the benchmark one that they normally use.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:35 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by aamersa
I can't believe this time. Something is missing. Perhaps it was a smaller circuit. Not the benchmark one that they normally use.
If you've driven a well optioned Cayenne you might think differently. My 2011 Cayenne S has all the suspension goodies; PASM, air suspension with lower ride height setting, dynamic roll stabilization, electronic diff, 20" wheels, and torque vectoring. It's amazing how a 4600lb vehicle can turn in, how responsive the steering is, and how flat it corners. With another 100 turbo HP, bigger and lighter brakes, and wider tires, I can believe a sub 8 minute Ring time.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:47 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 157 Posts

I have a '13 Cayenne GTS. Handles amazingly well for a vehicle its size.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:20 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by carcommander
I have a '13 Cayenne GTS. Handles amazingly well for a vehicle its size.
The bold words are key. My significant experience driving the porsche "big boys" was on track at the last porsche roadshow. I got to try out the panamera turbo S, cayenne turbo and S and macan turbo and S. All this back to back with the sports cars. I thought the big boys were dogs on the track compared to the various 911s and cayman gts. Of course I did not hold this against the big boys as it was inherently an unfair comparison.

Of the big boys I could envision the panny turbo s doing a sub 8 ring time (only barely). I thought the macans were crap on the track and the cayenne an excellent off road car with no place on a track.

That's why either this ring time is baloney or some thing else is going on. If this is true, then perhaps i shud sell the gt3 and get one of these. I am sure my family will be more understanding than if I hang on to my two impractical two seater non-family sport cars.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:30 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What's not to believe? Porsche has come a long way with the Cayenne suspension and power. I also have a '13 Cayenne GTS and handles incredibly well not only for a car its size, but for most road cars. It has minimal body roll, sits low enough. It feels quicker than our Subaru STI.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:35 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by doubleurx
What's not to believe? Porsche has come a long way with the Cayenne suspension and power. I also have a '13 Cayenne GTS and handles incredibly well not only for a car its size, but for most road cars. It has minimal body roll, sits low enough. It feels quicker than our Subaru STI.
Yes you are correct for road cars used on the road. But these track numbers seem unreal. If this cayenne time is true, then the macan turbo will probably manage the ring in 7.45 putting it pretty close to a 991 carrera S. What is this world coming too?
Old 01-14-2015, 02:57 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

I agree that it is scary how good these rhinos with mustard up their *** behaves on the road! My wife drives x5m and every time I've been driving we have to change brakes!😀😀

Quick Reply: OT: Cayenne Turbo S