Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake screech

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 05:47 PM
3point9liters
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Agreed. Most of my cars squeal. In fact the more expensive/high performance they are the more squeal. I just get to accept that and pretend I don't have any squeal when a Lexus pulls up next to me and looks at me funny.

The more important thing is that during high speed there is no squeals. For the gt3 you just need to be comfortable that at low speed our car does sound like a school bus.

Originally Posted by zedcat

Can't give a technical explanation but am sure that the pad material is a factor. Most track pads I've heard squeal. The pagids I've used are noisy. Also on 987s and 986s (not sure about other models) there are puck/shim things- called dampers that fit into the caliper pistons to reduce noise. When I went to track pads I left these out and that contributes to the noise. I don't know for sure if the GT3 uses similar (haven't had the pads out yet), but I don't think so. Looking at brake parts on Suncoast I don't see them. Of course the caliper design is different too. Bottom line I think Porsche prioritized brake performance over noise/comfort considerations.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:05 PM
mundman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All I know is that my car with PCCB's sounds like a MTA bus! I told my wife I paid extra for that. I wonder is bed-in the same for yellow brakes?
Old 02-02-2015, 11:33 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

mine squeal.. steel.. havent bedded yet.. and it's 20degrees here.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:37 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

My pccbs will squeal badly for weeks then make no noise at all. Hard stops make the squeal go away for a little while but not a solution. Doesn't matter
Old 03-08-2015, 03:43 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 261 Posts

I think there is a question around squealing vs Howling. I have a howling problem (which is what I think the OP is talking about). I have bedded and tried just about everything to make it go away. I would be happy with just squealing...have identified it to the driver rear only. Fortunately when I took it to the dealer it howled when I stopped and they even said that does not sound right. So they will be replacing and have a set of pads waiting for me. So you need to see if you can reproduce sound at dealer.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:57 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time
I washed my car today and the squeal came back. Maybe brake dust might have something to do with it. I think these brakes will continue to squeal for a long time.
I have the opposite issue. After I wash the wheels they stop squeaking!!
Old 03-09-2015, 05:36 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 82 Posts

Mine (iron) squeak until the car comes really close to 0mph then if I continue to ease the peddle, it will howl... ditto to a wash temporarily relieving any noises. Surprised the dealer would cover brakes since they are W&T... what was the specific issue?

Last edited by tqevo; 03-10-2015 at 06:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Brake screech