Sponsored by:

Brake screech

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 12:31 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by spooky
Some good information can be found here http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...l-white-papers on bed-in and other braking topics. Personally I'd not go down to 0mph on the brakes when bedding in, or hot brakes, unless there was a necessity.
I still don't think the precise speed matters. I believe this is the bed in process I started with the same as you're citing:

http://stoptech.com/technical-suppor...-system-bed-in

Overtime, I've gone with the KISS process, and sure, you don't have to go to 0 but, it shouldn't make much difference whether you do or you don't. I suppose in theory, there is no abrupt stop if you don't go down to 0 and that might make a bit of difference on how the pads wear on the brakes but, in practice, it hasn't made any difference for me. But, I'm not going to argue with the experts.

Dan (has Stoptech 13" on his 350z)
Old 01-05-2015, 12:34 AM
dadams1598
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Good article Spooky, thanks for sharing. Interesting to read that brakes may need to be re-bedded if you are soft on your brakes after initial bedding.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:08 AM
AWW100
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you define hard stopping from 70 to 0 hard enough but not trigger ABS?
Old 01-05-2015, 02:31 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 535 Posts

Originally Posted by AWW100
How do you define hard stopping from 70 to 0 hard enough but not trigger ABS?
Threshold braking. Its what we did before ABS.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:09 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The part I don't understand is why do the brakes squeal in the first place? I've owned 2 other Pcars and neither one ever squealed and I never bed them. I've owned many cars and trucks over my 40 plus years of driving and never once had to bed the brakes and never had brakes that squealed. Can some one explain why sport cars in general can squeal and your every day low end car doesn't?
Old 01-05-2015, 09:13 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
The part I don't understand is why do the brakes squeal in the first place? I've owned 2 other Pcars and neither one ever squealed and I never bed them. I've owned many cars and trucks over my 40 plus years of driving and never once had to bed the brakes and never had brakes that squealed. Can some one explain why sport cars in general can squeal and your every day low end car doesn't?
Can't give a technical explanation but am sure that the pad material is a factor. Most track pads I've heard squeal. The pagids I've used are noisy. Also on 987s and 986s (not sure about other models) there are puck/shim things- called dampers that fit into the caliper pistons to reduce noise. When I went to track pads I left these out and that contributes to the noise. I don't know for sure if the GT3 uses similar (haven't had the pads out yet), but I don't think so. Looking at brake parts on Suncoast I don't see them. Of course the caliper design is different too. Bottom line I think Porsche prioritized brake performance over noise/comfort considerations.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:48 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
Can't give a technical explanation but am sure that the pad material is a factor. Most track pads I've heard squeal. The pagids I've used are noisy. Also on 987s and 986s (not sure about other models) there are puck/shim things- called dampers that fit into the caliper pistons to reduce noise. When I went to track pads I left these out and that contributes to the noise. I don't know for sure if the GT3 uses similar (haven't had the pads out yet), but I don't think so. Looking at brake parts on Suncoast I don't see them. Of course the caliper design is different too. Bottom line I think Porsche prioritized brake performance over noise/comfort considerations.
zedcat is on the right thought with the brake squeal. The squeal from most brake pads is caused by the vibration of the pad backing and the force from the piston. Street or highway brake pads use a less aggressive friction compound than track or race pads since their stopping requirements are not as demanding. These extremely aggressive track/race compounds tend to induce much more vibration than street or highway pads. The use of vibration damping (mechanical or chemical) helps but may not completely resolve the vibration ... i.e. squeal.

Bedding the brakes as discussed already helps too in that a proper bedding will tend to create a more uniform surface between the brake pad friction surface and the brake disk. This uniform surface helps to reduce the vibration and thus squeal. Unfortunately this is a temporary solution only. As the brakes are deployed over time, and especially in an aggressive or repetitive sequence (e.g. spirited or track driving) the surface between brake pad and brake disk changes from the smooth surface when freshly bedded to one with more variations (this applies to both surfaces -- pads and disks). The result is an increase in vibration and hence the potential for the brakes to squeal.

I have found using a combination of very good high temperature ceramic anti-squeal paste (ceramic won't cause a degradation in the rubber caliper boots and seals) and anti-vibration shims help. I always get squeal on the track, but I have significantly reduced the squeal around town. The occasional re-bedding helps too.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:35 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great explanation Stronbl. I figured there had to be reasons. Is the ceramic anti-squeal paste readily available at general automotive suppliers?
Old 01-05-2015, 10:39 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I washed my car today and the squeal came back. Maybe brake dust might have something to do with it. I think these brakes will continue to squeal for a long time.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:40 PM
need a 993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
GT3 brakes will squeal.
What he said. It says so right in the manual.

Frankly, I think it sounds cool!
Old 01-05-2015, 10:46 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 157 Posts

I just ignore it. Or laugh.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:35 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

I love my brakes when squealing

as you said happens when (too..) light pressure on brakes (and brakes are still cold...)

to avoid screeching just push higher or more convinced a bit on brakes
Old 01-06-2015, 02:11 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My brand new steel brakes had a loud squeal at stop signs and lights. It went away immediately after my first track day.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:11 PM
bhf_clt
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad this was posted today. The screech from my brakes the past few days has been insane. Have 1,400 miles on her. Will try to bed her within the next few days. I don't mind some screeching, but the noise lately has been a little over the top.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:37 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Great explanation Stronbl. I figured there had to be reasons. Is the ceramic anti-squeal paste readily available at general automotive suppliers?
I use this product ... pretty happy with it, especially temp range, on Porsche / Brembo brakes - pad backing and pistons only not as an anti-seize on bolts.

Permatex 24125 Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant, 8 oz.
Amazon.com: Permatex 24125 Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant, 8 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Permatex 24125 Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant, 8 oz.: Automotive

Quick Reply: Brake screech