Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior Noises in GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 11:12 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

I have a variety of little tricky tacky noises going on in the inside that are kind of annoying when driving around town. I've gotten use to them and since I drive with the windows down a fair amount I don't hear them!

I had the rear deck noise while driving over uneven pavement that was 90% eliminated by tightening something on the rear deck lid.

Another rattle in the rear that occurs at 3800 rpm in 5th or 6th gear is something my SA and GT3 tech throughly investigated. They happen to have 2 new GT3s and an additional one 4-5 months old in the shop and they test drove all of them. They reproduced the rattling in ALL of the them. So its a flywheel/engine resonance rattle that is just part of the car. Like everyone is saying, because its a race car.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:21 PM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My 997.2GT3 had a loose nut rolling around in the subframe that I fished out with a coathanger and an endoscope. It had the techs befuddled. I was a bit concerned about what it was supposed to be attached to, but it never became an issue. Quality control is very good at the factory, but never perfect. Human error is omnipresent.

Other than that my 7.2GT3 and 6.2GT3 were tight as drums. No odd creaks except the 7.2 had an occasional loud, metallic ping while cooling in the garage that seemed to be the springs expanding after compression during a run. I hope the 1.1GT3 is as tight. I like tight tolerances.

PS - for the speaker vibe guys - I love music too. You can upgrade to Focal speakers and put in some sound deadening material in the doors (it won't weigh much) and it will sound light years better.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:25 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,744 Likes on 5,127 Posts

Originally Posted by kencollinsjr

2. Sliding component inside front dash (center console). When I drive on backcountry roads with constant left-right turns, I hear a component that sounds like it's behind the center A/C vents that sounds like it's sliding 1-2 inches left and right with the G forces (not related to contents in my glove box or console).
I had this in my 991 C4S.

Apparently it was something lose in the Frunk area. Tech found it, and it was fixed.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:26 PM
mainly
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scb997
I've had none of those noises. The only unusual "noise" I hear is in the steering. When I turn the wheel, in parking situations, it "squeals" a little like the old hydraulic pumps.

Scott

this sounds like it might be what im getting. although i wouldnt describe it as a squeaking sound as much as a scratching/scraping sound.

is it when you have the wheel turned almost all the way like for pulling out of a parking spot or backing up into a parking spot?
Old 12-23-2014, 11:29 PM
mainly
Racer

i get some vibration from the drivers door, although i cant pinpoint what its from. also i get rattling that seems to be coming from the rear (bumper possibly) around the tail lights where the shims are supposed to be.

i think i lost one of my shims too.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:37 PM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

1100 miles, I haven't found any strange noise in mine, YET!
Old 12-24-2014, 12:43 AM
MAQ
Track Day

Default Bass -6

I noticed the vibrations from the stereo. I turned loudness off and lowered bass to -6, essentially non-existent. It helped significantly.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:48 AM
Engeljizzle
Pro

Received 125 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by kencollinsjr
So, I would rate my GT3 experience a 10 out of 10, but have had a number of interior noises that seem to be more than just typical GT3 resonance and vibration. The top 3 are still going on and I didn't know if others were experiencing or not - feedback appreciated. Not sure if I'm alone...it's hard to know what's related to missing noise insulation + resonance of engine + stiff suspension vs. me having some build quality issues.

The bottom ones have been resolved.

Still ongoing:
1. Constant vibration / rattling from cupholders above glovebox. This vibration and noise goes away if I press on it, but it's constantly rattling at most driving speeds and is a lot worse if the exhaust is resonating at ~4k rpms.

2. Sliding component inside front dash (center console). When I drive on backcountry roads with constant left-right turns, I hear a component that sounds like it's behind the center A/C vents that sounds like it's sliding 1-2 inches left and right with the G forces (not related to contents in my glove box or console).

3. Rattling of doors from stereo speakers (woofers). I have the sound package plus. I have to turn Bass to +0 and loudness off, but any bass-filled music makes the doors rattle.

Resolved:
4. Constant squeaking in front left of cabin from a mis-installed air duct that my dealer screwed up.
5. Constant rattling from rear engine cover tensioners that weren't adjusted properly
6. Rattling from loose speaker mount in driver's side door.

I know this isn't meant to be quiet like a Lexus, but I drive on really long trips to enjoy it, so the glovebox / cupholder rattle is driving me nuts. Others have these issues?

I am having the same problem with the door speakers. Just took it in this morning to get it looked at. It was driving me NUTS! I will let you know what happens.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:15 AM
UAEGT3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3_racer
Mine makes all kinds of funky GT car noises. My favorite is a weird vibration that sounds like some kind of winged insect stuck on the rear glass (maybe by high G forces?) when I rev the engine above 8,500 rpm. Kind of cool. I think it may be an extra feature?
I have the exact same sound, and happens in the stated situation.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:02 AM
1pvr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scb997
I've had none of those noises. The only unusual "noise" I hear is in the steering. When I turn the wheel, in parking situations, it "squeals" a little like the old hydraulic pumps. I've been assuming that's one of those deliberate noises - "because race car."

We passed 9,000 miles this week (I have the winter set of wheels/tire on her)...

Scott
You might want to look at this thread. Many of us have had a similar low speed steering noise.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:38 AM
scb997
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1pvr
You might want to look at this thread. Many of us have had a similar low speed steering noise.
Thanks - I'm not sure how I missed that thread. I'll head off in search of LPS2 today

Scott
Old 12-24-2014, 11:06 AM
Napoli
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by irish guitar
Agreed: bass is overrated anyway. Boost the mids so you can hear the guitars better and all will be well in the world.

Vivian.
Spoken like a true guitarist.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:25 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have a look at this car, still no rattles/noises after.....how many miles

Old 12-24-2014, 01:02 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

The dealer will fix a lot of the plastic buzzes with felt/foam/etc. Just ask - they're used to fixing these kinds of things. This is certainly not "part of the GT3 experience."
Old 12-24-2014, 09:05 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by neuroguru
My 997.2GT3 had a loose nut rolling around in the subframe that I fished out with a coathanger and an endoscope. .
reminds me of the urban legend floating around the past 5 decades of a Ferrari owner finally tracking down a rolling noise since new from rear of car and found a small bottle with an enclosed note placed inside a frame member by an assembly line worker that stated basically " you finally found it you rich 'B' " !

Quick Reply: Interior Noises in GT3?