Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Save Chris Harris

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 01:05 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I met Chris at Road Atlanta while still working for Evo. Had him sign my Evo anniversary issue. He was most gracious and thanked me for being a hard copy subscriber. Nice chat. I will sign up.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:18 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by hughp3
I met Chris at Road Atlanta while still working for Evo. Had him sign my Evo anniversary issue. He was most gracious and thanked me for being a hard copy subscriber. Nice chat. I will sign up.
Maybe thats when I met him also. It was at a Chin event.

Couldn't be a nicer guy. We spoke at length about the GT3 and exchanged advice on Road Atlanta.....
Old 12-05-2014, 01:24 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
Lago is definately improving the other guys are hipsters.
Michael Spinelli is pretty good except i think better behind the camera.
The Brits are best tho.
Spinelli is a good writer and has great ideas, but his camera presence is HORRIBLE.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:34 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,738 Likes on 5,126 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Heres a question for teh American audience. For 20 years I have been subscribing to British motor magazines and enzimes. Mags like Performance car (later EVO), 911 Porsche World, Octane etc. My favourite joruno being guys who generally can drive like Jethro Bovington (an all out nice guy from what Ive been told), Suttcliff, Harris and also some intellectuals like the famous and now departed JK Sethright.

Could someone point me to world class US motor journalists and publications in the same vein as the above? I used to read Anderson many years ago. The last decade Ive really struggled to find something from Notrh Amercia to subscribe to even though the cost of annual subscriptions is ridiculously cheap in the USA. Id like to find some quality journalism I can subscribe to?
I like Jay Leno.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:02 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I like Jay Leno.
Yea, he is very likable, but again; his questions and comments are just so bland! Nothing really insightful, it's all about performance stats. not to mention the fact that he often gets his facts wrong!
Old 12-05-2014, 03:09 PM
CYKBC
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm a fan of The Smoking Tire and in one of their podcasts, Matt Farah mentioned that it was Chris Harris who prodded and pushed for Drive+ and not two months into the deal, Chris bails leaving a very sour taste in the mouths of the Drive team while creating a giant talent chasm in their line-up.

Bottom-line, Farah thinks Harris screwed them over big time.

I'm curious to know what really went down.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:14 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

I have not met Chris but couple of my bodies did and they say he is down to earth guy, but at times may appear a little cocky, but I really believe part of that is a culture difference. Over the years I have heard similar comments made against some of my ROW friends and, in most cases these comments are unfounded and just reflect some misunderstanding of their language, accent or culture. Hopefully One day I get to meet Chris then I would be able to give you my own opinion.

Regardless I enjoy the work and videos made by Chris and have been following him for many years, so I have went ahead and made a generous pledge. Hopefully we continue to see some of his good work for years to come. Mark
Old 12-05-2014, 03:31 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by CYKBC
I'm a fan of The Smoking Tire and in one of their podcasts, Matt Farah mentioned that it was Chris Harris who prodded and pushed for Drive+ and not two months into the deal, Chris bails leaving a very sour taste in the mouths of the Drive team while creating a giant talent chasm in their line-up.

Bottom-line, Farah thinks Harris screwed them over big time.

I'm curious to know what really went down.
Here is what is publicly known in the first two links of this link.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ng-solo-3.html

It sounds like Drive+ was created to fund videos after YouTube pulled funding for Drive Channel after having funded for 2 years. It also sounds like it was a collaborative effort but there was disagreement about leaving Drive with >3 minute videos with Harris suggesting that wouldn't work. I believe viewers rebelled about the >3 minute videos on the Drive channel feeling like they were being screwed out of content if they didn't subscribe to Drive+.

As for Farah and the Drive/Drive+/NBC team and their approach, I agree with Harris. Less than 3 minute videos are near worthless and to charge almost as much as Netflix for very little content on Drive+ is a business model destined to failure. I note that Spinelli seems to go with the Harris approach in that he still does long videos worth watching such as the "is the GT3 the greatest sports car ever?" video. I hope he continues to do well with Jalopnik and his endeavors.

Dan (throws in 2 cents of understanding)
Old 12-05-2014, 03:31 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by CYKBC
I'm a fan of The Smoking Tire and in one of their podcasts, Matt Farah mentioned that it was Chris Harris who prodded and pushed for Drive+ and not two months into the deal, Chris bails leaving a very sour taste in the mouths of the Drive team while creating a giant talent chasm in their line-up. Bottom-line, Farah thinks Harris screwed them over big time. I'm curious to know what really went down.
Really? So that's why that ended quickly.. I thought that is where the cash was supposed to go to.. Hmm. It is weird how many different magazines and companies he jumps between for seemingly short periods
Old 12-05-2014, 03:53 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Some interesting links for folks following.

http://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comment...leaving_drive/

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/10/chr...-drive-to.html

By the way, anyone have the podcast? I found this.

http://shoutengine.com/TheSmokingTir...nsistency-4355
Old 12-05-2014, 08:44 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Yea, he is very likable, but again; his questions and comments are just so bland! Nothing really insightful, it's all about performance stats. not to mention the fact that he often gets his facts wrong!
Just focusing on Chris Harris, I don't really watch nor Jay Leno for hard-hitting relevant reviews of sports cars.

Both for me are just entertainment.

Cuz let's face it, I don't buy a car to drift it about ... 90% of the time.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:48 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kon5t
Having met him on more than one occasion, when he was racing/track-daying at the Nuerburgring a few years back, and him coming away as a complete arrogant ****, it is not likely he will ever see a penny from me.

Someone should tell him that just because he is a jurno, he has no right to ask anyone to "move it", out of their pit lane, just because he is writing an article, or thinks he is some kind of god. in fact a quick reminder that manners cost nothing, and threatening people really doesn't work either in the public domain would go a long way. This type of entitlement pisses me off all day long, and he almost got a slap for it at the time, him and his two bit rent-a-friends. An opportunity I sadly missed, but will make sure to catch up on next time.

BTW, he also ran out of fuel two times that day, whilst on track, causing 30+ minute track closures for everyone concerned. Did he apologize when I pulled him over about it at Pistenklause that night? No, he told me to **** off. Apparently karma is a bitch that just keeps on giving.

I find it funny and laudable that he is not having money issues, and will make sure all the forums are aware of his previous behaviour.
Who cares?

More often than not the people you see on the Internet, the movies, TV, radio, etc. are not very nice people, and some of them are just bad people. But you wouldn't know it because you don't meet, engage with, or come in contact with most of them on a regular basis.

For people like Chris Harris -- or other pseudo celebrity Internet journalists -- watch them for the content they produce on camera, not for the type of person they are off camera.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:09 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Cuz let's face it, I don't buy a car to drift it about ... 90% of the time.
Yes, way too much drifting in CH videos to the point of making them useless (to me, at least). I guess he's doing it because that's what 'great driving' means to a great majority of his audience?
Old 12-05-2014, 09:30 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 159 Posts

Chris is in a league above Matt Farah and the rest of the /Drive crew. I subscribed to /Drive+ only for the Chris Harris videos. Honestly, the rest of the /Drive content doesn't really interest me and the videos have amateur-like dialogue.

I'll gladly support Chris.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:33 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ DITTO

Quick Reply: Save Chris Harris