Sponsored by:

Putting her to bed for the Winter

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 06:01 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts
Default Putting her to bed for the Winter

Well, Winter has arrived early in Chicago. It is the coldest November in decades. She is at the Dealer getting an oil change and on Sunday will get detailed. By Thanksgiving weekend I will put her away. What a shame!!. Only approx. 1300 miles and will have to wait until Mar/April to enjoy her again. I can tell you that at temperatures below 40 degrees F that the tires are way to slippery. You have to be very careful on those summer tires.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:15 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you not going to try winter tires, when it's cold but not snowy?
Old 11-21-2014, 06:19 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

In the Chicago area, it's not so much the cold, than it is the S A L T!!!! We salt here like drunken cafeteria chefs.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 11-21-2014, 06:24 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Agree - The good thing is that when March Madness about starts the car itching really starts and I get anxious as hell to get her out on the road. Although the anticipation during the Winter can be painful it is like getting a new car every March/April
Old 11-21-2014, 07:13 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Jimmy I hear you! And I feel your pain. We set another record low high today. 3 in a row. The tires at 37 degrees are very strange. Can't do much enjoyable driving in these temps. I broke down today and ordered 4 Forgeline GA1R center locks in Graphite with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 N-specs. Just so I can drive in colder temps. We salt here too, but it usually rains and washes it away often.
I want to drive the car during the winter here and there. Just to hear it shift.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:25 PM
H82BL8
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Well, Winter has arrived early in Chicago. It is the coldest November in decades. She is at the Dealer getting an oil change and on Sunday will get detailed. By Thanksgiving weekend I will put her away. What a shame!!. Only approx. 1300 miles and will have to wait until Mar/April to enjoy her again. I can tell you that at temperatures below 40 degrees F that the tires are way to slippery. You have to be very careful on those summer tires.
For storage do you:
1 - use a fuel stabilizer?
2- full tank fuel?
3- put on jack stands to prevent tire flat spot?
Old 11-21-2014, 09:04 PM
MJM911
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I am expecting my TTS to be delivered to the dealer next week. I will drive it until the snow comes here or more specifically until a storm is coming that will require the use of road salt and/or sand. When I store it, I plan to do the following:

• Clean and thoroughly dry the exterior of the car.
  • Fill the fuel tank with quality gasoline.
  • Add PRI-G fuel treatment to preserve the gasoline. http://www.priproducts.com/consumer_products.cfm
  • Disconnect the negative battery cable to reduce electrical draw during storage (no ability to run a trickle charger)
  • Inflate tires to maximum tire pressure
  • Insert steel wool into tail pipes
  • Cover the car with a high quality indoor cover

Then pray for an early spring with lots of rain to wash all the salt and sand away.

Last edited by MJM911; 11-21-2014 at 10:43 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:45 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure counting on the rain "washing" away the salt is a good expectation. I would think that the rain dissolves the salt, along with natural melt down, which turns it into a salt solution, that dries and is still there. Then any wet conditions (rain, water run off, etc) will return the dried salt residue back into solution and that will be splashed up into the under side of your car.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:09 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

A day of heavy rain in late March will absolutely wash the salt and sand off of the roads in the northeast. I can't speak for the southwest.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:21 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

I broke down today and ordered 4 Forgeline GA1R center locks in Graphite with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 N-specs
I had a set of GA1R's on on my GT3 and the GT1's in graphite on my 10 GT3. Graphite will look great on your car.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:38 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I had a set of GA1R's on on my GT3 and the GT1's in graphite on my 10 GT3. Graphite will look great on your car.
I'm hoping so! I'm having the boys in Dayton mount and balance the Alpins on the wheels with sensors in them. I figure I'll have to go by the dealer after I swap out the OEM summer wheel/tires to have them reset the sensors and have the car recognize them.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:56 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rubbaman
I'm hoping so! I'm having the boys in Dayton mount and balance the Alpins on the wheels with sensors in them. I figure I'll have to go by the dealer after I swap out the OEM summer wheel/tires to have them reset the sensors and have the car recognize them.
I've had the tires changed on my C4S a few times now and after a couple of miles and a few minutes it detects the sensors again. I'd imagine the GT3 will be the same.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:31 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bigkraig
I've had the tires changed on my C4S a few times now and after a couple of miles and a few minutes it detects the sensors again. I'd imagine the GT3 will be the same.
That may be because you are using the same sensors. I have new wheels with new sensors. It may be an issue. It always is on my other cars.
Sorry Jimmy, didnt want to highjack your thread
Old 11-22-2014, 12:08 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

Rob,

Forgeline put new sensors on my wheels and tires. Took maybe a couple of minutes for the car to learn the new sensors. The wheels in my Avatar are coated in charcoal. I'll be at Forgeline tomorrow and I'll let Dave know you are looking forward to your new wheels. Post some pics when you get them.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:53 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by rubbaman
That may be because you are using the same sensors. I have new wheels with new sensors. It may be an issue. It always is on my other cars.
Sorry Jimmy, didnt want to highjack your thread
You can switch wheels and the car will learn the new sensors, just have to drive a bit. Also in the TMPS display you can change to the winter wheels.

1. Main menu “TPMS”
2. Confirm “TPMS”.
3. Select “Tire type” and confirm.
4. Select  “20” Summer” or “20” Winter”
and confirm.

Quick Reply: Putting her to bed for the Winter