Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can xenon lights be swapped for LED later?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 02:26 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Mike. Not sure how the film could damage the headlight. Mine was covered by the dealer installer
Old 11-17-2014, 02:45 AM
///MMB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone in the DC area wants to meet up to compare headlight connectors, or if anyone wants to post up pix I will also. I have the standard xenon lights.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:04 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 633 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
Thanks Mike. Not sure how the film could damage the headlight. Mine was covered by the dealer installer
I believe the issue is the lights already have a UV film on them stock, so the process of adding / removing a second film can delaminate the first film.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:47 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

My dealer installer didn't apply any film the head lights. The goodness here if they're damaged the dealer has to replace due to it's the vendor. That's why allowed them to install my exhaust as it's covered also because they did the install.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:47 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

I would not worry about your headlights being damaged from having Xpel covering them. I have had my headlights covered on previous cars - never once an issue. I even saw them install them on (2) 918s. I heard on here one mention of them possibly delaminating but do not know who installed and what film was used ect. ect.. Bad installation of clear film any where on a car will reap problems.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:53 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I would not worry about your headlights being damaged from having Xpel covering them. I have had my headlights covered on previous cars - never once an issue. I even saw them install them on (2) 918s. I heard on here one mention of them possibly delaminating but do not know who installed and what film was used ect. ect.. Bad installation of clear film any where on a car will reap problems.
What about over time when the film yellows and you want to replace. You will delaminate the UV factory film then when you pull off the old film.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:06 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
I believe the issue is the lights already have a UV film on them stock, so the process of adding / removing a second film can delaminate the first film.
Yes the newer headlights are having the issue. There is a very hard ceramic type UV coating on the headlights. There have been noted instances of that coming up in pieces with the film upon removal. Has nothing to do with the install. You might get lucky and no issue possibly.

I've seen it person, and have read posts from some of the high end guys on the forums that they are not doing it anymore because of this liability risk.

All fun needs to come off at some point. Regardless of these crazy 10yr warranties. You should replace it within 5yrs regardless.

Suntek is the preferred film for clarity and no orange peel as well. Xpel isn't bad, but not as good of a film. I'd put them at number two.

3M, who makes the OEM stone guards isn't good. That stuff yellows almost overnight!
Old 11-17-2014, 01:16 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

^^ I do not think I will have this car long enough to worry about replacing any of the film. If I have this car for more than 4 years that would be a record for me. I also did apply Cquratz to the whole car after installing the clear film to the whole front end which will aid in preventing the film from yellowing. I have had Xpel on about 4 of my cars and have not had any yellowing issues.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:32 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Where did you get this information?

I've emailed one of the wrap installers here (I assume they've removed their fair share of 991 headlights) to see if they've seen first hand the wiring harnesses for both.
Just because the harnesses are similar doesn't mean it would be plug and play for the lights. There could potentially be some software related to the LED's. For example on my S6 with LED's you can change the brightness of the DRL through the VAGCOM and in addition every time you start the car the lights dip and rise back up (I'm guessing some kind of self leveling system). My guess would be that there is software that coordinates this. In addition there should be a need for different cooling on the LED headlights (not the lights themselves, but the processors for the lights) as I know that was talked about with regards to people swapping for the LED's on the A6/S6 platform. There are some folks who did it, but they were not plug and play and the cost was ridiculous.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:07 PM
GT3 Jockey
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Apparently the black LED's will make it to the configurator in February. I have a January production. Melissa is checking to see if they can "slip these in" for me. If I could get them should I also get the the headlight washer nozzles in black to match the lights? Right now I have them in GT silver.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:12 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Jockey
should I also get the the headlight washer nozzles in black to match the lights? Right now I have them in GT silver.
Match the bumper color.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 11-17-2014, 06:06 PM
GT TREE
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
^^ I do not think I will have this car long enough to worry about replacing any of the film. If I have this car for more than 4 years that would be a record for me. I also did apply Cquratz to the whole car after installing the clear film to the whole front end which will aid in preventing the film from yellowing. I have had Xpel on about 4 of my cars and have not had any yellowing issues.
Sounds like you have your GT3 already? If so, curious as to where a bouts you are in the Midwest, and who you used to apply clear bra and do your detail on the car…
T.I.A.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:26 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Jockey
Apparently the black LED's will make it to the configurator in February. I have a January production. Melissa is checking to see if they can "slip these in" for me. If I could get them should I also get the the headlight washer nozzles in black to match the lights? Right now I have them in GT silver.
Did Melissa give you any idea on the cost for the black LED's?
Old 11-17-2014, 08:47 PM
GT3 Jockey
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Did Melissa give you any idea on the cost for the black LED's?
No and after the 12 o'clock marker price I'm afraid even to ask
Old 11-18-2014, 11:08 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

The Service Information 2014 Technik Introduction 911 GT3 book has a couple pages on the headlights. With most of the information being about the LED's. From this information it does not look like a retro fit would be possible or cheap. I would doubt the harness is the same.

"The equipment variant LED headlights uses one central AFS (automatic driving light control) control unit, which uses a private CAN to activate two performance modules (LEIMO) for drum control (dynamic cornering light and variable light distribution). "

For the Bi-Xeon lights it says
"If the GT3 is fitted with Bi-Xeon headlights, headlight control units with the required ballasts are installed on the headlights. Each ballast is integrated using a separate LIN (Local Interconnect Network)."

So even if the connectors are the same, you would need to purchase a couple of modules in order to make everything work, plus program the car. Seems if you want LED's then add them to your order up front.

Quick Reply: Can xenon lights be swapped for LED later?