Sponsored by:

Track the gt3

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 03:14 PM
Leon Garabet
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Track the gt3

So I have been thinking about tracking me the gt3 next year.and was wondering if you think it's smarter to get a 2008-9 cayman to learn on first. Do I want to take a chance with gt3 . I'll be doing pca education classes . I have bin on the track about 4-5 time in the last 2 years. I want to really get serious about it. And maybe getting a track day car is a better idea then to risk the gt3 on the track. Will it cost me more to have the GT3 on the track then the cayman ? I was also thinking about getting a trailer for the tires and towing the. To the track. Do should The street tires on the car to learn on. Looks like I'm getting my car in 30 day I can't wait .
Old 11-16-2014, 04:17 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,487 Posts

You can track the GT3, but if you can afford another car mainly for track use, I'd start with something which is a better learning platform than the GT3: street tires, less hp, etc. If you get anywhere near the limits of the GT3, you'll be going too fast for a beginner, and too fast for the comfort level of many instructors. Less aids, or better yet less intrusive aids, also have some desirability, but no Porsche from the last decade or so is ideal in that respect.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:06 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts

I was told by an instructor friend to go find a Cayman R and don't do anything to it.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:26 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm still waiting for my GT3, but I think it's the best Porsche learning platform.
- You have a track warranty, not available on another porsche
- You can drive it a 5/10ths and still be fine
- You can switch the MPSC to MPSS for not much money
- Add a roll bar/harness bar for not much money
- Better brakes than the Cayman
- Adding a Cayman will cost a lot in consumables, insurance, maintenance etc

Now if you want a good track learning car, buy a Spec Miata for not much and sell it for about what you buy it for. Can't drive to and from the track, but a fun car.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:01 PM
j09333
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Same situation here.
The question really is

"will someone can be a better driver if he or she starts learning tracking faster cars or lesser cars?"

I too looked into cayman, boxster, and some other FRs for track use.
I wanted to become better driver by learning how to handle cars on track and I still believe this is the right way since one can not reach limits on public road unless in case of some toubles.
I searched and found that GT3 is too much of a car for anyone if things go wrong. It is better to start with lesser cars to learn basics but once you pass the point, you either move up or modify heavily to get more out of it. Driving faster cars 7/10th is fine and fun but not so much more than driving 10/10th with lesser cars.
All these advices leads to lesser and slower cars with better platform of FR or MR.

So I choose GT3. LOL
What the heck. I have instructors on my side for 3 months, hopely everyweekends with him doing at least 20 track days. My goal is to learn to control the car so that I can do the same to my Fcars or Lcars latter.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:40 PM
provoke
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I could do it again.. I would probably lease a CPO 14' Cayman R... 24 month lease.. Whatever breaks send back to the dealer... Would cost me about a dime a month for 2 years which equals no worries and driving it every time like I stole it..... Instead I find myself spending a lot more money modifying my 08 Cayman which I will never get it back out of.. (I'm over $30k in plus about to drop another $17k not including what I paid for it) My 15' GT3 is definitely going on the track but going no where near the conditions of what I'm putting the Cayman thru... At least for now... lol
Old 11-16-2014, 09:49 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by provoke
If I could do it again.. I would probably lease a CPO 14' Cayman R... 24 month lease.. Whatever breaks send back to the dealer... Would cost me about a dime a month for 2 years which equals no worries and driving it every time like I stole it..... Instead I find myself spending a lot more money modifying my 08 Cayman which I will never get it back out of.. (I'm over $30k in plus about to drop another $17k not including what I paid for it) My 15' GT3 is definitely going on the track but going no where near the conditions of what I'm putting the Cayman thru... At least for now... lol

Whats CPO mean?
Old 11-16-2014, 09:51 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Just my $0.02, but if your goal is to improve your skills, I would run a lower HP spec car, like the spec Miata. The lower hp cars are generally safer to learn in, they magnify the effect of mistakes (ie you lose time that can't be overcome quickly by HP), and you have a relatively equal platform with many drivers to benchmark yourself against. If you learn to be fast, safe and competitive in such a car, it will translate to faster, higher HP cars when you are ready for them.

PS. The consumables are cheaper in a spec Miata, as is the cost of replacing it if you write it off.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:52 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Whats CPO mean?
Certified
Pre
Owned

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 11-16-2014, 09:56 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Certified
Pre
Owned

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist

Thanks
Old 11-16-2014, 11:45 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Rule of thumb:

The faster the car you start off with on track, the slower you will progress.

It's very true, but also very difficult for people who have never done it to believe in. Everyone who starts out thinks they need more HP and stickier tires. The people who get better learn that line of thought is a mistake. Those who don't learn that, tend to stay slow.

That being said, it's your money and your car. Do what makes you happy now. It could change later.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:43 AM
CALSE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I started with an E92 M3 and WRX STi a couple of years ago. I've driven my GT3 only twice on a track so far, and boy does it behave very differently. I have had to take different lines and change entry/exit speeds significantly due to rear engine platform, incredible agility, and power. It is the ultimate cheater car in stock form.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:48 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Great advice here. Best to learn in a momentum car. If you want to stick with Porsches, a Cayman is a great choice. Or a 944.

I'd also like to advocate for the PCA. A great club to start out and learn with.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:11 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Leon Garabet
So I have been thinking about tracking me the gt3 next year.and was wondering if you think it's smarter to get a 2008-9 cayman to learn on first. Do I want to take a chance with gt3 . I'll be doing pca education classes . I have bin on the track about 4-5 time in the last 2 years. I want to really get serious about it. And maybe getting a track day car is a better idea then to risk the gt3 on the track. Will it cost me more to have the GT3 on the track then the cayman ? I was also thinking about getting a trailer for the tires and towing the. To the track. Do should The street tires on the car to learn on. Looks like I'm getting my car in 30 day I can't wait .
I started out in a GT3. If I had it to do over again I definitely would've bought a 944 or a miata to learn in. Things happen fast in a GT3...and it's hard to drive it at just 50-60% once you know a little-read know enough to be dangerous. Depending on what tires you use and if you insure it to the max it's going to be in the neighborhood of $1000/day to run it(not including depreciation of tracking a street car).
Don't get me wrong, it's been great fun. And the car has been very, very reliable...which may be the one big argument in favor of starting out with it. You likely wouldn't have any mechanical issues for a long time whereas with an older car that may not be the case. But I would still give it a year in something that's fun, cheap, and disposable...then get the big gun out.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:18 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,487 Posts

I myself am looking at getting a Spec Miata, so that I can drive it 9.8 to 10.2 tenths without worrying about balling up an expensive car.

Quick Reply: Track the gt3