Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What would you choose. Stop the
Drop the 4 options for the lift.
76.32%
Keep your options, lift not so important.
7.89%
Get em all and stop being a cheap @$$!
15.79%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Last day before freeze date... help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014 | 05:02 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Originally Posted by Jon70
Most will say to get the lift. However, I have yet to hear that the few who passed on the lift regret passing on it.
I spoke with two local owners, both of whom said they used the lift daily. And Scottsdale has great roads. One former owner said he may have kept the car if it had the lift.

But hey, there is a reason they are called 'options' - get the car the way YOU want it. As long as it has the proper seats of course.
Old 11-14-2014 | 05:26 PM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Mine was delivered with the clear lenses. I preferred the red and changed them right away.
I have the clears in the boxes my red ones came in from
Suncoast. You can have them for $400. plus freight.
Old 11-14-2014 | 05:27 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

If using as DD you may get "surprised " coming out of a shopping center or place you are not familiar with. One can always opt to do the angled approach and only right turns.
Your choice.
Old 11-14-2014 | 05:37 PM
GT TREE
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by seapar
If using as DD you may get "surprised " coming out of a shopping center or place you are not familiar with. One can always opt to do the angled approach and only right turns.
Your choice.
Car is definitely not a DD. I wouldn't hesitate on getting this option if that were the case.

I really don't even know why I start threads like these...

Now I'm considering leaving all of these out, and just going with what I wanted ALL ALONG, PCCB's!!!!
Old 11-14-2014 | 07:58 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
I spoke with two local owners, both of whom said they used the lift daily. And Scottsdale has great roads. One former owner said he may have kept the car if it had the lift.

But hey, there is a reason they are called 'options' - get the car the way YOU want it. As long as it has the proper seats of course.
I have a house in Scottsdale also and the roads are nice but I have ripped the front chin spoiler off my 512Tr about 5 times regardless of how careful I am. Its all a matter of driveway and parking lot entry. Someone also mentioned earlier that you are paying $3k for ONLY 1.18 of additional clearance.....in car terms that is a football field worth of distance and a complete game changer for reducing damage!!!
Old 11-14-2014 | 08:22 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

One of the biggest areas I've found I scrape cars in the past is in and out of gas stations when I'm off driving and getting low.

I got the lift and would have still gotten it in a stripper build (lift + buckets). Gas stations are unpredictable and you need gas...
Old 11-14-2014 | 08:31 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Lift equals piece of mind. You can go most anywhere. I'm sure you can make it without the lift by being careful, but knowing you can clear steep drives, speed bumps and other obstacles makes daily life much easier. I have had my car two days and use it on every drive. I would be nervous without it.
Old 11-14-2014 | 09:33 PM
KenU
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Whatever you do, drop the $690 extended leather package. It consists of three small leather pieces that are hidden with the door closed. Waste of money, IMHO.

The other stuff can be added later piece by piece at the same price (or less) if you decide you really must have clear taillights, aluminum pedals, or carbon door sills. Not so with the lift.

The experiences of those with the lift on the 997 GT3 aren't directly relatable to the 991 GT3 as the lip attachment to the bumper is different and the potential for expensive damage is a lot greater. As for those who have a 991 GT3 and have no regrets about skipping the lift in the few months they've owned their cars, I'll respectfully suggest that they are whistling past the graveyard; the day will come when they'll wish they had it.

My $.02, drop the other stuff and get the lift....
All great posts, but I couldn't have written a better one than this.

Very good, Mike
Old 11-14-2014 | 09:40 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

I ordered mine with the lift. I have a 997.1 with factory installed aero package. No lift available then. The thing scrapes everywhere! And I believe it has more clearance than the 991. In any event it will be your car so option it the way u want.
Old 11-14-2014 | 09:55 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

I had a 997 GT3 w/o lift

You scrape the front lip with the lift or without .

When it happens you cringe because of the sound. but it only costs 250 for a new one ,and you only replace it when it is completely destroyed which is almost never.

I did not order those cosmetic options and lift. I the put the $$ towards PCCBs which were on my 997 . They are like having the hand of God stopping you. ! To me that is the essence of GT3 .

my 02s

BTW my dealer just got my car and I pick it up next week . I am excited !!!!
Good luck on your new order.
Elliot
Old 11-14-2014 | 10:12 PM
KenU
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sccchiii
I have a house in Scottsdale also and the roads are nice but I have ripped the front chin spoiler off my 512Tr about 5 times regardless of how careful I am. Its all a matter of driveway and parking lot entry. Someone also mentioned earlier that you are paying $3k for ONLY 1.18 of additional clearance.....in car terms that is a football field worth of distance and a complete game changer for reducing damage!!!
If memory serves me correctly, from 8-9 years ago, Scottsdale Rd has plenty of dips (at least going from The Boulders into Scottsdale) and remember having lots of fun on this stretch of road. Perhaps now the area is more fully developed and more closely "monitored". Not sure if this would have any effect on the GT3's nose coming down one of those dips aggressively on the uphill. Again, I don't remember 100% if this would be an issue or not now on this car. One thing I DO remember, it's one of the most beautiful areas of the country that my wife and family enjoyed going to many, many times back in the 80's (backed out of a contract then to buy a lot at Desert Mountain - I know, I was young and stupid!), and the 90's up until pre-recession. Took a break to pay for my 2 kids NYU college tuitions.

Sorry for the ramble, love this area of Arizona. OP get the lift!!
Old 11-14-2014 | 10:25 PM
FORENN
Banned

I don't get it. At this cost, why is there a need to skimp on a few relatively inexpensive options? Just add the lift and get the car the way you want it. Seems like a crazy discussion to me.
Old 11-14-2014 | 10:42 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Bingo^^^^
Old 11-15-2014 | 09:04 PM
GT TREE
Rennlist Member

Well F.W.I.W., I kept the carbon fiber sills, (mostly because I had just had them confirm by build change, and forgot to take them out) dropped the 3 other options, skipped going with the lift, BUT…… added what I personally always wanted all along, PCCB's.

After my last 3 cars having them, (although cars were bought used) I couldn't stand the thought of going back to anything else.

For me it was based solely on the looks of them, (including the Yellow calipers) and the fact that I love how the wheels barely collect any dust.

Thanks for your input regardless!

Quick Reply: Last day before freeze date... help!