Sponsored by:

Brunnhoelzl Jacks

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 11:26 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I use a 6:1 torque multiplier and a 1/2" reversible digital torque wrench. Piece of cake.
Is the multiplier necessary if you go with a digital wrench like this ?
1/2" drive, 300-3000 lb/ft.
http://www.protorquetools.com/cat-32...e-wrenches.htm
Old 11-06-2014, 11:35 PM
Jaypod
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
Is the multiplier necessary if you go with a digital wrench like this ? 1/2" drive, 300-3000 lb/ft. http://www.protorquetools.com/cat-32...e-wrenches.htm
That's inch pounds not foot pounds. It is possible to get a wrench that does not require a multiplier however. Snap on and precision both have them. (Up to 600 ft lb I believe)
Old 11-06-2014, 11:39 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jaypod
That's inch pounds not foot pounds. It is possible to get a wrench that does not require a multiplier however. Snap on and precision both have them. (Up to 600 ft lb I believe)
I see that now, so yes, need a multiplier. Is the CL removal tool/chuck 1/2" socket ? I can't tell on Suncoast's site.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:57 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

The multiplier seems to be a good tool, but it multiplies the inaccuracy of your torque wrench by 6 and adds its own inaccuracy. If you value convenience and aren't fanatical about safety, then the multiple is a good choice.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:03 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by alpine-al
The multiplier seems to be a good tool, but it multiplies the inaccuracy of your torque wrench by 6 and adds its own inaccuracy. If you value convenience and aren't fanatical about safety, then the multiple is a good choice.
I'm not crazy about multipliers. Before I can figure out which wrench to go with I need to find out what size drive the CL removal tool needs...ie: 1/2" or 3/4". I am hoping for 3/4" as most wrenches that go to 600 ft. Lbs. seem to have 3/4" drivers. Anyone know ?
Old 11-07-2014, 12:06 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by GTEE3
^^
my point I am trying to make to those reading this tread that may be in the market for a new jack/jack stand is-PLEASE do not scrimp on any safety tool/product both inside and outside your car. Buy the best quality/safety product...you only have your health.
BTW, I use an AC 4400lb jack w/ two other back-up units (emergency), and Esco 6,000lb stands.

^
Mike, good info on the 991, and again thanks for your great DIY oil/filt change!
Excellent point Phil, and well made! I thought you had probably seen the pic of the GT3 up on the JP stands in the oil change thread but also thought it would be useful for others here who may have missed it. Anyway, thanks!
Old 11-09-2014, 03:27 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,688 Likes on 2,337 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Nope, Brunnhoelzl made the saddle for me at the same time they made the jack. I sent them a CAD file of my design. I even got my jack painted purple to match the car!
ah... perhaps you need to repaint it red? it's cheaper to paint the jack than the car to purple

Originally Posted by neanicu
Just curious,is there a cheaper version or only the 1200$ one?

P.S. Never mind,I see that you can use any jack with the 300$ jackstands...
the 1200 jack is the cheapest one they make. it's a very nice jack. and i haven't seen any jack that compares to it. i am cheap so i use the $700 AC hydrailic jack, of which i have three. i prefer AC jack stand of JP so various reasons. although JP stands are of top quality.

imo AC jacks are better and more stable than the brunhoezel (sp) but one is 100 lbs the other i can lift with one hand.

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Since it was mentioned, is there a power tool that can replace the giant breaker bar and torque wrench?
you can use impact too to remove the nut and put it on (then torque it with precision TQ wrench). HOWEVER, the nut is alum, it will be destroyed. u can always use new CL nuts every time you change wheels. it's just money.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:53 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

I need to find out what size drive the CL removal tool needs...ie: 1/2" or 3/4". I am hoping for 3/4" as most wrenches that go to 600 ft. Lbs. seem to have 3/4" drivers. Anyone know ?
The input on the center lock tool is 3/4"
You need to check the accuracy of your torque multiplier along with your torque wrench on a regular basis. I know people with torque wrenches that have used them for breaker bars and torque applications without ever checking their accuracy.

The next time I send mine out for calibration I'll check to see if they can set my torque wrench for 74 lb. and tell me what the output is on the torque multiplier. Repeat 5 times and see what it looks like. Do the stacked errors stay consistent in that range?
Old 11-13-2014, 09:40 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

What's the manual say for torque settings on the center locks when tightening?
440 nm? Or 440 ft. Lbs?
I know once you tighten, you need to back off 60 degrees and re torque.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:45 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

FT/LBS
Old 11-13-2014, 10:03 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
FT/LBS
Thanks!
Old 11-25-2014, 02:37 AM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 356 Likes on 218 Posts

At the risk of hijacking back the thread - I ordered some Brunnhoelzl jacks. I guess I need to make some room on the shelf and unload a few old aluminum jacks. It's a funny thing to get excited about - but the nice thing about good tools is they don't become junk in 2 years. I've got thousands of dollars in not so old computers and phones sitting around that need to be tossed. Unless you really beat on your electronics - they're really useless long before they're worn out. You line up to get an iphone and by the time you get to the front of the line - they've updated it. I still have the first Craftsman jack I bought when I started wrenching my first car in 1976. It still works great but I had to save up to buy it as a broke grad student. It costs me 2 weeks' pay.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:24 AM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Phil, they work great for oil changes in the GT3. Plenty of clearance for catch pans and to access drain plugs and filter.
Do you use the jp stands with the standard pad or low profile?
Old 12-09-2014, 11:34 AM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Clearance

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Phil, they work great for oil changes in the GT3. Plenty of clearance for catch pans and to access drain plugs and filter.
Mike,

Looks great. Quick question regarding clearance: I don't have clearance with the Jackpoint jack stand hat on top of my Pittsburgh 1.5 racing jack. Do you first lift the car up and place a race ramp, drop the car down then place the jack stand hat, then lift?
Attached Images  
Old 12-09-2014, 01:50 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
Mike,

Looks great. Quick question regarding clearance: I don't have clearance with the Jackpoint jack stand hat on top of my Pittsburgh 1.5 racing jack. Do you first lift the car up and place a race ramp, drop the car down then place the jack stand hat, then lift?

You will either need a jack with a lower pick up point, or see if JP can customize the pad, or more likely, drive the wheels onto a couple pieces of wood, to get the clearance you need.
JP stands are designed to lift the car, just like you attempted, with the JP hat on the jack, then position the base, and lower the hat into the stand.

Quick Reply: Brunnhoelzl Jacks