ESC and TC explanation

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 10:57 AM
Mr. Li
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by qbix
Damn, that was stupid what I wrote.
I can't believe you can swith ESC off and keep TC on in Porsche. I never paid too much attention to those two buttons as I only switch everything off.
I can bet my hand that it is the other way around in BMWs. I drove 335i and M3 for a while.
Sorry!
Actually PORSCHE and BMW are alike, in BMW there's only one bottom DSC, press this bottom once it enable DTC mode ( Dynamic Traction Control), it allow more wheel spin (activate much later) but stabile control is still working, Press DSC Bottom for longer period it switch off all the Dynamic Stabile Control and Traction Control, the dash will show DSC off light
It doesn't make any sense to leave ESC ON and TC off, ESC need 4 wheels in traction in order to stabile car, if 2 rear wheels are spinning (power sliding) for the rear brake to slow down the spinning is limited, because engine power is greater than brake force, so ESC must work with TC
Old 02-02-2016, 11:08 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by qbix
The only reason you can deactivate TC alone is to get the car out of snow, ice, mud, etc.
There is no advantage or reason to drive with TC off and ESC on. All on or all off except the above situation.
Even if you deactivate TC the ESC will work exactly in the same manner as with the TC ON.

PTV is always on. You cannot deactivate this system.
Now THAT makes sense to me. Someone highlight this post.

Edit: doh! NM, got it backwards

Last edited by orthojoe; 02-03-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:17 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Now THAT makes sense to me. Someone highlight this post.
Doesn't make sense to me. Car can disable ESC, or disable ESC+TC.

ESC off let's the car rotate / spin without intervention, but won't let you spin the rear wheels with excess power. Further disabling TC then let's you excessively break the rear wheels loose (for "drifting", as sn example).
Old 02-02-2016, 03:29 PM
RobertR1
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Interesting thread. Depending on the sophistication of the system, you'd ideally want ESC off and TC on.

That way you can still rotate the car on entry as you'd like without having to worry about the ESC catching the car and making it run wide.

With a sophisticated TC system, you can put the power down early and aggressively and the computer will limit the power output as it detects wheel spin in relation to steering angle, yaw etc. You can still overwhelm it and lose control but if you're smooth, it'll help that extra little drive and keep things tidy on corner exits. If the system isn't very sophisticated, you'd be faster with everything off but on a high end system, you'll want to run in the "race" setting that allows for TC without any ESC to produce fastest laps.

ESC will also wear through your brakes a lot faster esp if it's engaging often.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:41 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RobertR1
Interesting thread. Depending on the sophistication of the system, you'd ideally want ESC off and TC on. That way you can still rotate the car on entry as you'd like without having to worry about the ESC catching the car and making it run wide. With a sophisticated TC system, you can put the power down early and aggressively and the computer will limit the power output as it detects wheel spin in relation to steering angle, yaw etc. You can still overwhelm it and lose control but if you're smooth, it'll help that extra little drive and keep things tidy on corner exits. If the system isn't very sophisticated, you'd be faster with everything off but on a high end system, you'll want to run in the "race" setting that allows for TC without any ESC to produce fastest laps. ESC will also wear through your brakes a lot faster esp if it's engaging often.
+1, and I'd like to add:

How many race cars do you know have ESC? Non! (Except GT4 Clubsport, because it's a production system)

How many race cars do you know have TC? A lot!

For the reasons mentioned above, that's why Porsche has this 2 stage system. If you are not comfortable in the car. Leave all systems on. If you want to be fast, turn off ESC and leave TC on.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:52 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by RobertR1
Interesting thread. Depending on the sophistication of the system, you'd ideally want ESC off and TC on.

That way you can still rotate the car on entry as you'd like without having to worry about the ESC catching the car and making it run wide.

With a sophisticated TC system, you can put the power down early and aggressively and the computer will limit the power output as it detects wheel spin in relation to steering angle, yaw etc. You can still overwhelm it and lose control but if you're smooth, it'll help that extra little drive and keep things tidy on corner exits. If the system isn't very sophisticated, you'd be faster with everything off but on a high end system, you'll want to run in the "race" setting that allows for TC without any ESC to produce fastest laps.

ESC will also wear through your brakes a lot faster esp if it's engaging often.
ESC allows to rotate car on entry quite a bit (30 degrees or even more), beyond what's needed on a typical racetrack. Rotation on exit is more restricted but is also allowed if initiated slowly (abrupt throttle causes intervention earlier).

ESC off and TC on allows unlimited rotation on braking and a lot of rotation on throttle. In fact, it will allow laying rubber stripes and some tire smoke when powering out in 1st-2nd gear, but not a full-on burn-out. With ESC off, TC is noticeably less restrictive as well. For example, all-on mode causes TC intervention when going over rumble strips after T11 on Thunderhill (shen cutting the S) and with TC-only, it never happens.
The following users liked this post:
mgc666 (10-01-2022)
Old 02-03-2016, 10:20 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Tweed
Did you RTFM? Or pay attention to what has been posted in this thread? Or simply write "deactivate" instead of "activate?" What you state above-- "you can deactivate TC alone" is NOT possible in the GT3. The ESC can be deactivated alone, or both ESC and TC can be deactivated, but TC alone CANNOT be deactivated.

TT.
Whoops! You're right. Got it backwards.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:53 AM
Knolow
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
+1, and I'd like to add:

How many race cars do you know have ESC? Non! (Except GT4 Clubsport, because it's a production system)

How many race cars do you know have TC? A lot!

For the reasons mentioned above, that's why Porsche has this 2 stage system. If you are not comfortable in the car. Leave all systems on. If you want to be fast, turn off ESC and leave TC on.

Read this entire thread and this is the best point. Race Cars do not have ESC but do have TC.

I have driven with all on, ECS off and ECS+TC Off and all on does intervene but not as much as thought. It is actually a great paramter'd system. But I agree ECS only OFF is perfect.
The following users liked this post:
CX_GT3 (12-28-2022)

Quick Reply: ESC and TC explanation