Sponsored by:

Last dance for Mary Jane - Last GT3 Cup Experience at Barber

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 09:34 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by rubbaman
You do! But you have track insurance that you can buy down to $2000 deductible which is provided by PSDS.
So was $2k deductible insurance included in the price of the event or is the insurance extra (how much?)?
Old 10-23-2014, 10:48 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
So was $2k deductible insurance included in the price of the event or is the insurance extra (how much?)?
There is some insurance included in the price and I think it cost me another $500 + to buy it down. But it's moot because that class is no longer available. For the masters and masters plus courses it cost less to buy it down from what is included. But I can't remember the exact amount. It is listed on their web site however.
Hope that helps.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:50 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 3GO1GO
Rob, great review and with the awesome driving I can tell you didn't hit the "Blue Monkey" the night before! Brother, in two 2 weeks our GT3s will be home at last! Thank you so much for sharing these videos.
No problem my brother! This last two days did scratch an itch for me, but now I really want our cars! I bet they put both ours on the same carrier and drop yours off on the way to my dealer!
Old 10-23-2014, 11:50 PM
XBrit
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rob: Excellent description of the course (and some damn fine driving). You could catch me into Turn 1 (I've never had the "gentleman's attachments" to go through there at real high speed) but the extra 75HP of the turbo pays off on the straights.

As the "senior member" of the class I felt OK with my 1:43 (especially after Hurley's "Come to Jesus" comments on Wednesday morning). Definitely did not want to bend the machinery (and I think the insurance deductible was $10k for the Cup cars, not $2k).

Not sure how you can access the data videos if you are Mac based, but on a PC you can export a video clip from the Race Keeper software.

If anyone has not been to the PSDS at Barber, they should immediately move it to the top of their bucket list - it's an incredible experience.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:16 AM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

^ John, you crack me up! Yes turn 1 does require some extra bovine hormonal supplement to hit the go go button as you are going down the hill.
I'm glad you told me it was 10k deductible now and not before! Hurley's speech was sobering enough.
I know I did spend some extra $ over the standard cost to buy it down, but quite frankly I can't remember now. Ha!
Thanks for the export tip in the software!
Old 10-24-2014, 12:27 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the videos and detailed write up. Looks as if you guys had a blast. I've only been to Barber twice, and only once when it wasn't pouring, but that was enough to make it one of my favorite tracks. No events here in NOLA in Dec, so I'll either head back up to Barber or west to Texas World Speedway.

Did any of the Porsche School instructors state their personal lap times in the new GT3?
Old 10-24-2014, 12:32 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

I only ever would let myself spend money on the basic driving academy, got "fastest man alive" award there and decided I would hang my racing hat up because I had nothing else to prove.

Unfortunately I found out later that I was not the fastest man alive, just the fastest of the motley crew which attended that week but at that point the picture and award was on Facebook so in my own mind.. It's real.

The cup class was truly too expensive for me to contemplate... But watching these videos you posted makes me wonder if some things have no price. Amazing, thanks for providing these
Old 10-24-2014, 12:33 AM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

No, but I would guess 1:35 to 1:38. I would think the cup car would be about 10 secs. faster.
But this is just a guess. I will email Sean and ask him.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:33 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 954 Posts

Trakcar: Some 1:30 laps for your enjoyment...

Old 10-24-2014, 12:35 AM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

holy smokes! That's a great video!

I know the cup cars do 1:27- 1:30, but I think he was asking what the instructors could do in the street GT3.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:51 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rubbaman
holy smokes! That's a great video!

I know the cup cars do 1:27- 1:30, but I think he was asking what the instructors could do in the street GT3.
Correct, I'm interested in knowing what the new street GT3 can do at Barber on stock MPSC2 tires with a pro at the wheel. The Cup cars in that last video are on slicks, so there is a big difference in grip between the street car and the Cup just due to tires alone, not to mention all the other track worthy goodness of a Cup car.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:54 AM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by fbirch
Correct, I'm interested in knowing what the new street GT3 can do at Barber on stock MPSC2 tires with a pro at the wheel. The Cup cars in that last video are on slicks, so there is a big difference in grip between the street car and the Cup just due to tires alone, not to mention all the other track worthy goodness of a Cup car.
i asked some people that work there. They think 1:35 stock.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:04 AM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by paver
That sounds right. About 10 secs or less slower than Cup. Which is really fast! Amazing when you think about it.
And before you answered I was thinking that Paver would know the answer to that question
Old 10-24-2014, 01:09 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
New car, new track and all but it looks like a 991GT3 is a mid 1:30 car!
Best I ever did was a 1.38 in 3.8RS and the track surface got a little faster after it was redone..
The video is somewhere on TCN
That's a great lap time! What tires were you running? I think Barber is a track where sticky tires are especially beneficial. At tracks with super long straights and many high speed esses, a modern car with lots of horsepower and good aero can sometimes get a good lap time in spite of modest tire grip. But Barber doesn't have many of those elements and has quite a few relatively tight, low to mid speed turns where huge mechanical grip will pay big dividends.

I've only ever driven it on street tires, the same ones I used to make the 4.5 hour freeway drive up from NOLA. It would be great to feel this track on really sticky tires.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:10 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by paver
Thanks. That's pretty fast for a car with MPSC's.

Quick Reply: Last dance for Mary Jane - Last GT3 Cup Experience at Barber