Sponsored by:

gt3 radiators still leak!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 12:48 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts
Default gt3 radiators still leak!

i had an on track episode in my 997gt3 in 09 where the coolant came out of a loose/broken fitting, caused me to spin, and need tow to dealer for repair. luckily, spin didnt result in hitting anything and repair was on warranty.

now fast forward to last week and im at same track with another car and i see a 991gt3. its gorgeous and sounds beyond amazing. im about to ask if i could be his instructor when he pits out with someone else. oh well.

unfortunately, he only makes it out for a lap when guess what? he has exact same leak i had 5 yrs ago. wouldnt you think factory would fix these by now? and turns out, he just got the car back from having engine replacement. really sucks

thought id pass this on since i havent heard of any other such issues with 991gt3. be careful doesnt happen to you
Old 10-23-2014, 01:19 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

I am confused by your post. The title says radiators and your post says coolant fittings. The Mezger was infamous for coolant pipes at the engine coming loose. Is that what you're referring to?
Old 10-23-2014, 01:19 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

It's just a bit of Mezger nostalgia the factory put in for free.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:21 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

The Mezger was infamous for coolant pipes at the engine coming loose. Is that what you're referring to?
The 9A1 doesn't have those pipes. I'm pretty sure he is referring to a pipe attached to one of the radiators.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:50 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
i had an on track episode in my 997gt3 in 09 where the coolant came out of a loose/broken fitting, caused me to spin, and need tow to dealer for repair. luckily, spin didnt result in hitting anything and repair was on warranty.

now fast forward to last week and im at same track with another car and i see a 991gt3. its gorgeous and sounds beyond amazing. im about to ask if i could be his instructor when he pits out with someone else. oh well.

unfortunately, he only makes it out for a lap when guess what? he has exact same leak i had 5 yrs ago. wouldnt you think factory would fix these by now? and turns out, he just got the car back from having engine replacement. really sucks

thought id pass this on since i havent heard of any other such issues with 991gt3. be careful doesnt happen to you
The leaks for old GT3 with Mezger engines and the leaks on the new 991 GT3 are for different reasons. Indeed the old Mezger engine had some issues with fittings coming loose which was responsible for most of the leaks, but the new GT3 leaks are mainly due to punctured radiators. The new GT3 did not come with a wheel mesh to protect the opening to the fan/ radiator cavity in the front of the car, which resulted in rocks and stones to make their way into the cavity and the fan flung them into the radiator. A recall has been issued to add wheel mesh to all the cars to fix this problem. The new GT3 you are referencing may or may not have this fix yet. Even if it did, like in my case, I still ended up with a punctured radiator, and the problem was that when the wheel mesh were retrofitted to my car, the Porsche dealer who installed them, did not clean or remove the existing rocks from radiator/fan cavity before installing the wheel mesh, and eventually one of these pre-existing rocks came in contact with the fan and was flung into the radiator. A new radiator was installed under warranty and the dealer removed 38 varying size rocks that was still trapped in the radiator cavity and prior to them installing the wheel mesh. After the installation of the new radiator and cleaning the cavity from the rocks, I did almost 2000 miles and I did not have any further issues and I really don't expect any further problems. Mark
Old 10-23-2014, 03:01 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 626 Likes on 383 Posts

How can one tell if this fix has been installed?
Old 10-23-2014, 03:05 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

dont remember exactly what problem was but for sure it was not from a rock puncture in either case. one this week seemed like one i had 5 yrs ago but dont have specifics
Old 10-23-2014, 03:11 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

How can one tell if this fix has been installed?
Crank the steering wheel hard to the right and look into the front of the left front wheel well opening. There is a hole in the liner. If that hole does not have mesh in it the mod has not been done. You could reverse the wheel and look in the right side as well.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:08 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Crank the steering wheel hard to the right and look into the front of the left front wheel well opening. There is a hole in the liner. If that hole does not have mesh in it the mod has not been done. You could reverse the wheel and look in the right side as well.
Don't even need to crank the steering wheel. It was very easy to notice on the GT3's at Barber for the driving school. Wheels were straight and I could tell the mesh wasn't installed.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:11 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Porsche appears to be following up on the mesh issue with owners. Just yesterday I got a phone message from Ian, my GT3 concierge, saying that the new mesh liners were available and that I should contact my dealer if the upgrade hasn't been done. (It has).
Old 10-23-2014, 05:53 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
dont remember exactly what problem was but for sure it was not from a rock puncture in either case. one this week seemed like one i had 5 yrs ago but dont have specifics
How can you tell the problem of the new GT3 is not a result from a puncture. The front radiator and also the various coolant fittings are so hidden from naked eye, that someone has to start taking car parts apart before you can really tell what is going on. When the leak happens, it sprays everywhere and is really hard to tell until you dig into the problem.

I am just curious and at the same time very surprised that we have not heard about another radiator mode of failure from any 991 GT3 owners in this fourm yet.

If there are other coolant leaks or radiator/ fittings failures aside from wheel mesh issue and that we are not aware of, I would encourage these GT3 owners to report them to us ASAP. Mark
Old 10-23-2014, 07:05 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Mezger coolant fittings would leak in the rear and heard a few from the front radiator but the majority was the pos glued in press fittings in the rear. If 991 gt3 leaking from radiator ie front that's totally different from what mezger suffers from. Mike

Quick Reply: gt3 radiators still leak!