Sponsored by:

GP Clear Bra Group Buy

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 09:26 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Moe,

What's the tarp for under the car when washing it? Looks like it catching runoff or something? Interesting.

I was surprised to see the car washed outside. I'm sure your shop was full with other cars getting work done!
Old 12-05-2014, 09:46 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 734 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Nice work again Moe!! Wow. I'll chime in from my knowledge of detailing. The coating is never applied before the film is installed. It adds some nice additional benefits/protection by applying it on top of the film after install.
I couldn't have said it better!
Old 12-05-2014, 09:51 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Moe, What's the tarp for under the car when washing it? Looks like it catching runoff or something? Interesting. I was surprised to see the car washed outside. I'm sure your shop was full with other cars getting work done!
Correct on the blue mat. Our studio is actually pretty small...1200 sq/ft. We wash all the cars outside and the mat traps the dirty water and keeps it out of storm drain that would run off into the ocean. We try to only do 2-3 projects at a time in the studio. Sometimes we take in more patients, but we manage to still work without too much trouble.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:30 AM
STG
Race Director

Any of you guys lucky enough to be within a reasonable driving distance of Moe, consider yourselves lucky.

The kind of PPF work he's doing is something you don't find in most parts of the country. I'd say he's a true one per center in the PPF business!
Old 12-05-2014, 11:44 AM
bondguy
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Correct on the blue mat. Our studio is actually pretty small...1200 sq/ft. We wash all the cars outside and the mat traps the dirty water and keeps it out of storm drain that would run off into the ocean. We try to only do 2-3 projects at a time in the studio. Sometimes we take in more patients, but we manage to still work without too much trouble.
Moe-can you PM me on price for full wrap / huper optik tint for all windows except windshield? thanks.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:45 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 110 Posts

All of you guys who are within reasonable distance or in the same city as Moe consider yourselves lucky. Worrying about a few dollars is nonsense. NOBODY is doing this quality of work in the USA. I wish I didn't live half way across the country and wish it wouldn't take 2K to have my car shipped that far or else I'd be there.

Maybe a group shipment of cars from the Midwest to Moe for a transport discount during the down winter months???
+1
Old 12-06-2014, 12:55 AM
SECRET
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If Xpel Ultimate has a self-healing urethane layer, what happens if there is a scratch with dirt involved?

Not all scratches to your car are done with a piece of steel wool or a sharp clean knife on a clean car, right?

So if my car has a layer of dust/dirt on it, and someone rubs against the car and drags said dust/dirt across the film so as to scratch it, would the dirt be 'healed' into the film?

Reason I ask is I found out my current car actually has Xpel, and after 3 years, it's looking really dull. The same uncovered areas of the car with the same treatment over the past 3 years looks much better.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:03 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 384 Likes on 215 Posts

Part of the issue probably is that you didn't know you had the film, or the previous owner didn't take care of it (not sure how long you have had the car). The film needs to be cared for and will dull if not taken car of. Mine after three years is fine. There are some "chips" and scratches from road debris but it is still glossy.

And those chips and scratches are not in the paint😄
Old 12-06-2014, 04:35 PM
GT Venum
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SECRET M
If Xpel Ultimate has a self-healing urethane layer, what happens if there is a scratch with dirt involved?

Not all scratches to your car are done with a piece of steel wool or a sharp clean knife on a clean car, right?

So if my car has a layer of dust/dirt on it, and someone rubs against the car and drags said dust/dirt across the film so as to scratch it, would the dirt be 'healed' into the film?

Reason I ask is I found out my current car actually has Xpel, and after 3 years, it's looking really dull. The same uncovered areas of the car with the same treatment over the past 3 years looks much better.
I would guess that it is the standard Xpel film and not the Xpel Ultimate. The Ultimate is the self healing film.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:33 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Update

I'm at GP as I write this and there is another GT3 here that unfortunately already has a rock chip on his right headlight. I talked with Moe about this and we're going to wrap my headlights as I know the same thing will happen to mine.

When time comes to replace, the factory film will be pulled and the headlight sanded and polished and re-wrapped with UV wrap and CQuartz. In short, I'm going to wrap my headlights.

And, I'm going with advanced full wrap.

Thanks Moe!

Last edited by hfm; 12-07-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:49 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by hfm
I at GP as I write this and there is another GT3 here that unfortunately already has a rock chip on his right headlight. I talked with Moe about this and we're going to wrap my headlights as I know the same thing will happen to mine. When time comes to replace, the factory film will be pulled and the headlight sanded and polished and re-wrapped with UV wrap and CQuartz. In short, I'm going to wrap my headlights. And, I'm going with advanced full wrap. Thanks Moe!
I've seen the delamination issue personally. If you get it when removing film, it's a very very long and exhausting process to refinish a headlight.

The current UV clear coat on the is very hard almost ceramic like. Sanding it off on plastic takes hours and then it has to be clear coated again. It cannot just be polished.

If you want more details I'd be happy to share.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:55 PM
STG
Race Director

Not saying don't do it, but it's a risk either way which sucks. I've seen the delam, and it's not pretty. Trust me.

No film, risk of chips!

Get film and maybe issues if removing it!
Old 12-06-2014, 07:33 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Not saying don't do it, but it's a risk either way which sucks. I've seen the delam, and it's not pretty. Trust me.

No film, risk of chips!

Get film and maybe issues if removing it!
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind but after viewing a chip on the headlight of another GT3, I think the wrap and possible issues down the road make wrapping ultimately the better decision as between the two difficult options.

I post a few links regarding additional work being done for reference including installation of radar detector, mount and dash cam.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...n-991-gt3.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...l#post11749799

Dan (thanks Moe for transport that saved him a $130 Uber ride - Glistening is a pro shop)
Old 12-07-2014, 05:38 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

I have the blackvue 550. I see you've got a 600. Nice.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:10 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by bondguy
Moe-can you PM me on price for full wrap / huper optik tint for all windows except windshield? thanks.
PM sent. Was confused on if you meant full vehicle or full front. Please advise.

Originally Posted by SECRET M

XPEL has several films, but only ULTIMATE is their self-healing and flagship film. Film needs to be washed and cared for just like your paint. If you have light dirt, and someone slides against the film, you're not going to scratch the dirt into the film far enough to dramatically affect the film. A light paint cleanser will take care of the areas where there might be dirt embedded in the film. Applying a nano coating over the film post installation will dramatically improve performance and resistance to scratches and dirt

Originally Posted by mwar99
Part of the issue probably is that you didn't know you had the film, or the previous owner didn't take care of it (not sure how long you have had the car). The film needs to be cared for and will dull if not taken car of. Mine after three years is fine. There are some "chips" and scratches from road debris but it is still glossy.

And those chips and scratches are not in the paint😄
+1...well-said

I've seen the delamination issue personally. If you get it when removing film, it's a very very long and exhausting process to refinish a headlight.

The current UV clear coat on the is very hard almost ceramic like. Sanding it off on plastic takes hours and then it has to be clear coated again. It cannot just be polished.

If you want more details I'd be happy to share.
This is a very touchy subject at moment...I'm sure Porsche will have a fix for the headlights as it relates to clear film. But, we've now made the decision that having rock chips on a multi-thousand dollar headlight is unacceptable. If the clearcoat is easy enough that clear film is removing it, then it shouldn't be that difficult to sand, polish, and reapply clear film. We wouldn't reclear and reapply film, we'd just remove the coating in full, apply clear film which has its own UV protection, then add the nano coating to further protect the film.

This is case-by-case and we'll see what happens in the long run. As you mentioned, there's really no right or wrong thing to do in this circumstance as both option are basically choosing from the lesser of two evils.

Quick Reply: GP Clear Bra Group Buy