Sponsored by:

One configuration consideration/piece of advice for those not locked - INTERIOR

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 08:33 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tosilog
I just want the alcantara, couldn't care less about the leather. But I need the CF inserts to match the bucket seats. Thanks for the info, my build will lock in two weeks
you are aware that the CF doesn't match the buckets, correct? not slightly different, very different.

the CF for the trim has a very tight checkerboard look, whereas the seats are more "real" CF, big, open weave, diagonal.... I originally had it spec'd for the same reason as you, but that is the beauty of this board, I learned about this variation... so I just left standard aluminum...per this thread, I like the idea of having options later, can always change my mind for the CF, darker aluminum, painted trim, whatever...
Old 10-20-2014, 08:37 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by the-missile
FeFe did a lot in terms on interior improvement since few years.

I can see on the picture that this 918 is not done with the full deviated stitching. Owner chose probably full black this is it.
maybe.... but I don't think so... I don't see any stitching at all, even black... the dash barely looks like it is leather, but I assume that it probably is... this is the look I wish we had as an option with upgraded leather... the dark, subtle, Teutonic look that is Porsche...I would have paid for it in a heart beat to have everything leather but no deviated stitching, etc.

It was the same thing with the Carrera GT...I just like this simple look. It obviously isn't for everyone. As I said, I didn't mean to open the full leather thing back up, just letting people know that when they don't get it, they have infinite adjustability with the trim pieces inside...
Attached Images  
Old 10-20-2014, 08:56 AM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 10 Posts

Have you seen deviated stitching in person on the 991 GT3? I went for a ride in sgroer's beast last week and the red stitching looks awesome! There's a lot of black on that interior and the deviated stitching helps break it up. I'm guessing this is why there's no options for black stitching.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:07 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,009 Posts

I saw the stitching in a dealer car, and it makes the interior pop in my in opinion. I didn't do it in my 991S, and wanted to do this one right for me. It works with my red gauges too, and I agree it's not for all. In a 100k please care 150k to be exact I wantd less plastic as possible. That's the marvel of choosing options priceless. Good luck to all.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:05 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Maverick787
I saw the stitching in a dealer car, and it makes the interior pop in my in opinion. I didn't do it in my 991S, and wanted to do this one right for me. It works with my red gauges too, and I agree it's not for all. In a 100k please care 150k to be exact I wantd less plastic as possible. That's the marvel of choosing options priceless. Good luck to all.
spot on... this is definitely a tomaeto/tomahto thing...

I have seen both in person - deviated and standard (no full leather) and for me the deviated stitching looked out of place on the gt3...

Others will think I am crazy to spend $9k on brakes and skip $3k on full leather...

love choice, love this country, love life...good luck to all
Old 10-20-2014, 10:12 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
spot on... this is definitely a tomaeto/tomahto thing...

I have seen both in person - deviated and standard (no full leather) and for me the deviated stitching looked out of place on the gt3...

Others will think I am crazy to spend $9k on brakes and skip $3k on full leather...

love choice, love this country, love life...good luck to all

I would say you just love yellow brakes which is not a bad thing for your application. That's the beauty of this board a lot of flavor, and opinions. I will say the worse position for a buyer is to ask what to do because it will become more confusing.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:18 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

you are aware that the CF doesn't match the buckets, correct? not slightly different, very different.

the CF for the trim has a very tight checkerboard look, whereas the seats are more "real" CF, big, open weave, diagonal.... I originally had it spec'd for the same reason as you, but that is the beauty of this board, I learned about this variation... so I just left standard aluminum...per this thread, I like the idea of having options later, can always change my mind for the CF, darker aluminum, painted trim, whatever...
At a glance I think CF will still match CF, even if the weaves aren't 100% identical.
Attached Images  
Old 10-20-2014, 03:23 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Mech, while at my dealer recently, they had both a 918 and turbo S on the showroom. The 918 had the seats with CF weave, and the turbo S had the same CF trim that the GT3 gets. The 918 seat CF was very open and diagonal, like what you showed in the picture, while the turbo S CF was a bit of a different color, and certainly a very different weave - small, grid pattern (horizontal/vertical) in a tight small checkerboard.

Of course, my wife laughs when she sometimes looks over my shoulder at the crap we all write about...none of it really matters in the scheme of things . You could certainly make the point that CF is CF. I originally had it spec'd on my car. But I removed it after I saw these differences, also knowing that since I didn't order full leather, all the trim pieces can be upgraded to CF later for $1k or so...if I decided to do that later.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:56 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Mech, while at my dealer recently, they had both a 918 and turbo S on the showroom. The 918 had the seats with CF weave, and the turbo S had the same CF trim that the GT3 gets. The 918 seat CF was very open and diagonal, like what you showed in the picture, while the turbo S CF was a bit of a different color, and certainly a very different weave - small, grid pattern (horizontal/vertical) in a tight small checkerboard.

Of course, my wife laughs when she sometimes looks over my shoulder at the crap we all write about...none of it really matters in the scheme of things . You could certainly make the point that CF is CF. I originally had it spec'd on my car. But I removed it after I saw these differences, also knowing that since I didn't order full leather, all the trim pieces can be upgraded to CF later for $1k or so...if I decided to do that later.
Hard to tell from the pictures, so I defer to you with first hand experience on the matching. From what I can see in the pictures, the weave looks similar but just cut at an angle vs. made horizontally on the dash trim parts, but it's really hard to tell without holding them up close.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:10 AM
GT3991
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jonathan,

I am picking up my 2015 GT3 soon without full leather. Ironically, I have been trying pretty hard to understand the main differences. From my understanding, you could order a normal 991 upper dash in full leather. It has the black stitches and not the GT3's silver/red. But I am not 100% sure if the upper dash is in one piece or it extends all the way to the windshield. Lower dash are $2,300 from suncoast. As for doors, I think the only solution is to swap out the entire door. Rear speaker surround doesn't seem to be too hard. My only question now, Are A pillars in vinyl or suede in standard interior GT3?

Btw, the door panel pic are taken from friend's Boxster GTS and it doesn't have the deviated stitches.

Last edited by GT3991; 12-11-2014 at 05:49 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:21 AM
GT3991
Intermediate

sadly, it's pretty obvious there's no suede on none full leather GT3.

Last edited by GT3991; 12-11-2014 at 05:49 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:47 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

sadly, or not, depending on what you are looking for... I am quite happy with my decision to not go with full leather...don't care that there isn't suede in the back seat area of the car.

to your earlier question, you CANNOT get any kind of full leather on this car without all the deviated stitching, which was my main reason for not doing it...solid black was not an option as you suggest, at least not through the normal ordering process available to me... I asked about it.

you are correct that if you got standard interior, there are several items that can be "upgraded" later if you want - alcantara lower dash, trim pieces (alum, carbon fiber, or painted), console lid, etc. If you got the full leather option, you are locked in because of the door trim pieces, which cannot be changed out without removing the entire panel.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:15 AM
GT3991
Intermediate

sa.
Yes it really depends on individual. I think trying to retrofit the factory " full leather " option is going to cost arm and leg. Spend $3,480 is well worth it for someone who loves leather. I am thinking going aftermarket such as RUF, Techart and Gemballa if I plan to keep the car for a long time. I don't know, I am all over my head since I can't wait to deliver my GT3.

So all the GT3 with leather optioned can't change the aluminium trims on the doors. How about our none leather interior?

Thanks
Old 10-23-2014, 11:22 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by GT3991
Yes it really depends on individual. I think trying to retrofit the factory " full leather " option is going to cost arm and leg. Spend $3,480 is well worth it for someone who loves leather. I am thinking going aftermarket such as RUF, Techart and Gemballa if I plan to keep the car for a long time. I don't know, I am all over my head since I can't wait to deliver my GT3.

So all the GT3 with leather optioned can't change the aluminium trims on the doors. How about our none leather interior?

Thanks
the issue is that for the rest of the interior, all the trim pieces just snap out and you can switch others in -- this includes the trim on the dash and surrounding the shifter... the trim that comes on the doors with the full leather package cannot be changed out like that, the entire door panel needs to be replaced...

by the way, that is no reason to not get full leather if its the look you want, obviously... its just for me an added bonus/benefit of picking standard interior. I am thinking of picking some painted trim potentially in the future...

I would forget trying to retrofit factor full leather, that would be almost impossible on top of dash
Old 10-23-2014, 11:33 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

SATCO, I agree completely. None of this really has anything to do with ROI or resale.

However, there are trim parts that you cannot order on your GT3, that can be added (OEM), if you have the standard interior. For example, if I decided that I thought GT Silver or Basalt Black Metallic painted trim would look cool in my car, I can add it later. Cant do that with my order today.

Or, if after seeing the buckets in person with CF, I decided the standard CF would be ok afterall, I can add it later. None of this helps resale per se. But I like staying with the standard interior purchase and deciding later.

The trim pieces are actually quite reasonable on sucoast parts site...ironically, some of them cost less than if optioned new.

as always, different strokes, different folks

Quick Reply: One configuration consideration/piece of advice for those not locked - INTERIOR