Sponsored by:

Smoking Brakes!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 08:33 AM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fbirch
Thanks! I'm looking forward to your feedback. Please take note of the tires they're running, as well as ambient temps.
Starting Day 2 today! Lots of driving. I'll have more to share after I get home and can post some videos.
The GT3s have MSC2s tires and the Turbos have the Pzeros. Big difference. I really like the Michelins.
The Pirellis pick up a lot of rubber from the track. I have a new appreciation for the turbo, which can get loose
and does not respond as fast as the GT3 on turn ins but very fast and fun to drive on this track.
One of the GT3s coded out of action. Anytime we pushed over 5000rpm the warning light came on.
Trying to figure this one out still. But, both cup cars are running great! And...... Drum roll, we are driving them without the instructor with us!
Which is simply because they don't want to die.
This is the last time for this class and I think they figure, why get hurt the last time. Brian was in the car that crashed last month and he said if he didn't weigh 130 pounds,
it would have been worse. The cup cars are awesome to drive and when driven at 8/10ths which is what I feel comfortable doing,
they are very very responsive and exact. I don't want to get close to the edge of the envelop and ball one up and be known as the last guy to do that!
I got to chase Hurley around the track in the cup car with him driving the turbo as hard as he could.
And I got to think to myself, I could pass the great Hurley Haywood!! But I won't' ! Hahaha.
Super great people here.
Track temperature was about 85 degrees
and perfect!
I said Hi for Brian (mjones) to the group!
They said greetings!!
I'll post more later

Last edited by rubbaman; 10-22-2014 at 11:41 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:28 AM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rubbaman
Starting Day 2 today! Lots of driving. I'll have more to share after I get home and can post some videos. The GT3s have MSC2s tires and the Turbos have the Pzeros. Big difference. I really like the Michelins. The Pirellis pick up a lot of rubber from the track. I have a new appreciation for the turbo, which can get loose and does not respond as fast as the GT3 on turn ins but very fast and fun to drive on this track. One of the GT3s coded out of action. Anytime we pushed over 5000rpm the warning light came on. Trying to figure this one out still. But, both cup cars are running great! And...... Drum roll, we are driving them without the instructor with us! Which is simply because they don't want to die. This is the last time for this class and I think they figure, why get hurt the last time. Brian was in the car that crashed last month and he said if he didn't weigh 130 pounds, it would have been worse. The cup cars are awesome to drive and when driven at 8/10ths which is what I feel comfortable doing, they are very very responsive and exact. I don't want to get close to the edge of the envelop and ball one up and be known as the last guy to do that! I got to chase Hurley around the track in the cup car with him driving the turbo as hard as he could. And I got to think to myself, I could pass the great Hurley Haywood!! But I won't' ! Hahaha. Super great people here. Track temperature was about 85 degrees and perfect! I said Hi for Brian (mjones) to the group! They said greetings!! I'll post more later
cool picture with Hurley. Thanks for posting and enjoy!
Old 10-22-2014, 01:13 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

One of the GT3s coded out of action. Anytime we pushed over 5000rpm the warning light came on. Trying to figure this one out still.
Thanks for posting Rubbaman!
Curious what caused the limp mode. Goldcrest keeps the cars running right?

I should go there for a day of test driving the GT3..
They run the school year around?
Old 10-22-2014, 01:22 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,018 Likes on 2,838 Posts

Smoking brakes are cool, unless that is the caliper piston dust seals vaporizing (pretty easy to do without cool-down laps). Sometimes it's just fresh pads that do that, but often it's the seals...
Old 10-22-2014, 02:36 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Thanks for posting Rubbaman!
Curious what caused the limp mode. Goldcrest keeps the cars running right?
I should go there for a day of test driving the GT3..
They run the school year around?
Believe so, at least the Cups. Not sure about the street cars.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:59 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Thanks for posting Rubbaman! Curious what caused the limp mode. Goldcrest keeps the cars running right? I should go there for a day of test driving the GT3.. They run the school year around?
Goldcrest was there! Great guys. Super setup for data analysis in the truck. The GT3 had some issues somewhere in the brain. I personally think cooling issues. The screens were not installed at engine swap. So much rubber on the track. They scraped rubber off the radiators but the car overheated when driven hard. It's going to the dealer for a deeper look. The new schedule for the year will be out at the end of this month. Sadly no more GT3 cup experience. But you can drive the GT3s at masters and masters plus.

Last edited by rubbaman; 10-22-2014 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:38 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MJones
Tell the guys Brian says hello!
I did! They all said "Hi" especially Peter!
I can't believe you drive out there every year in your GT3! Amazing! You da man!
Old 10-22-2014, 09:09 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe Mike (from San Diego, an Irish guy) was in your class! Has done the cup class a number of times.
Glad that you got to do the last "Cup experience". It's a fun class.
So did you like the GT3?
Guess they didn't get the second cup car rebuilt in time for the class, sadly, oh well...
Who all was there? Hurley, Peter, Brian and who else?
Old 10-22-2014, 09:23 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MJones
I believe Mike (from San Diego, an Irish guy) was in your class! Has done the cup class a number of times. Glad that you got to do the last "Cup experience". It's a fun class. So did you like the GT3? Guess they didn't get the second cup car rebuilt in time for the class, sadly, oh well... Who all was there? Hurley, Peter, Brian and who else?
Actually John from San Diego was there who originally is from Manchester UK. They did get the other cup car formally known as the Oakley car running! Hurley, Cass, Brian, Peter, Sean and Owen were there and of course Jeff Purner
Loved the GT3! The Turbo was fun and a trip to drive after you jump out of the GT3. Whole different handling characteristics. Nevertheless still exciting.
As soon as I get home I will post some videos on a new thread.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:27 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Starting Day 2 today! Lots of driving. I'll have more to share after I get home and can post some videos. The GT3s have MSC2s tires and the Turbos have the Pzeros. Big difference. I really like the Michelins. The Pirellis pick up a lot of rubber from the track. I have a new appreciation for the turbo, which can get loose and does not respond as fast as the GT3 on turn ins but very fast and fun to drive on this track.
One of the GT3s coded out of action. Anytime we pushed over 5000rpm the warning light came on.
Trying to figure this one out still. But, both cup cars are running great! And...... Drum roll, we are driving them without the instructor with us!
This is the last time for this class and I think they figure, why get hurt the last time. Brian was in the car that crashed last month and he said if he didn't weigh 130 pounds, it would have been worse. The cup cars are awesome to drive and when driven at 8/10ths which is what I feel comfortable doing, they are very very responsive and exact. I don't want to get close to the edge of the envelop and ball one up and be known as the last guy to do that!
I got to chase Hurley around the track in the cup car with him driving the turbo as hard as he could. And I got to think to myself, I could pass the great Hurley Haywood!! But I won't' ! Hahaha.
Super great people here.
and perfect!
They said greetings!!
I'll post more later

has anyone with Directv checked out channel 111?
It is the introduction to Macan channel (really?--awesome) and has Hurley Haywood hot lapping at PSDS in the Cup car! cool

anyhow, do we get any discount at Barber for our purchase?
Old 10-22-2014, 09:48 PM
XBrit
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rob: enjoyed chasing you around for the past couple of days. Agree that the GT3 is an amazing animal. Can't wait for mine to arrive. Enjoy yours when it finally gets to you.

John
Old 10-22-2014, 10:12 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by XBrit
Rob: enjoyed chasing you around for the past couple of days. Agree that the GT3 is an amazing animal. Can't wait for mine to arrive. Enjoy yours when it finally gets to you. John
Cheers John! Absolutely most fun I've had on a track! Hopefully I'll have mine in the next 10 days or less! Enjoy yours too! Great color you picked. It was a pleasure to meet you!

Last edited by rubbaman; 10-23-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:24 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Starting Day 2 today! Lots of driving. I'll have more to share after I get home and can post some videos.
The GT3s have MSC2s tires and the Turbos have the Pzeros. Big difference. I really like the Michelins.
The Pirellis pick up a lot of rubber from the track. I have a new appreciation for the turbo, which can get loose
and does not respond as fast as the GT3 on turn ins but very fast and fun to drive on this track.
This is the last time for this class and I think they figure, why get hurt the last time. Brian was in the car that crashed last month and he said if he didn't weigh 130 pounds,
it would have been worse. The cup cars are awesome to drive and when driven at 8/10ths which is what I feel comfortable doing,
they are very very responsive and exact. I don't want to get close to the edge of the envelop and ball one up and be known as the last guy to do that!
I got to chase Hurley around the track in the cup car with him driving the turbo as hard as he could.
And I got to think to myself, I could pass the great Hurley Haywood!! But I won't' ! Hahaha.
Super great people here.
and perfect!
They said greetings!!
I'll post more later

Thanks for the feedback! Looking forward to seeing what the pros can do in the new GT3 at Barber.

Quick Reply: Smoking Brakes!