Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 New shoes......Michelin super sports

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 12:15 AM
milban
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Mark, good info. After Nov. delivery I'll be enjoying dd'ing in a lot of below 32 degree f. Days this Winter. So time to get some Pa4's.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:19 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,376 Likes on 2,489 Posts

^ I concur with Orthojoe. MPSS is a good street tire, maybe even a better overall choice than the MPSC2 since it's good in dry and wet at temps above say 35 or 40 F and doesn't really need to be warmed up. On track, it's just OK, not nearly the same grip as a real track tire like the NT01. And I'm glad to hear that the MPSC2 may have even more grip than the NT01, just wish it wasn't so expensive!
Old 10-12-2014, 12:20 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
+1. MPSS are great for the street and rain. However, I'm with Pete in that MPSS are not good for the track. In fact, IMO I think they totally suck on track. I know this is the minority opinion, but my experience with MPSS on track has been underwhelming. Based on the many glowing reviews from rennlist I expected them to be phenomenal, but that didn't turn out the be the reality.

There's no way that the MPSS will give anywhere near the grip of the MPSC2 on track. I've driven MPSS on a Cayman R and my BRZ. The grip from NT01 on my spyder absolutely destroys MPSS, and a reliable rennlist member (ChrisF) has found the MPSC2 to grip even more than NT01 on his 997.2 GT3.

I also have hard data logs that show peak sustained grip from MPSS on my BRZ were NO BETTER than the peak sustained lateral Gs from OEM Michelin primacy HP tires, which also happen to be 'sport' OEM tires for the PRIUS.

MPSS. Not good for track. Fine for street and good for rain.
Thank you so much for the info. Very informative. I have strong feeling that's what I will discover when I track them, but that's not what I bought them, and mainly because our track season is over this month and I just wanted to enjoy driving the car on the streets this winter.

Only question how do you think they will handle on cold wet track compared to the cup 2. From all indications our next track day will be probably around 50F and very wet, which what promoted me to change them before then. If you can provide some insight about this, it will be great. Thanks again. Mark
Old 10-12-2014, 12:22 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had MPSS for my gt3 997.1. Switched to Yokohama adv08neova which I like better for track. Have Pirelli sottozero series 2 for that car on oz ultralegerra 19 inch for winter colder weather. May switch out to OEM tires mpsc2 or Dunlop to MPSS when 991gt3 arrives in jan for Seattle DD use. If snowy/icy will take SUV out.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:37 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by seapar
I had MPSS for my gt3 997.1. Switched to Yokohama adv08neova which I like better for track. Have Pirelli sottozero series 2 for that car on oz ultralegerra 19 inch for winter colder weather. May switch out to OEM tires mpsc2 or Dunlop to MPSS when 991gt3 arrives in jan for Seattle DD use. If snowy/icy will take SUV out.
i agree. The MPSS would probably be a good choice for your car for the street during January. Don't attempt to drive the car on the street with the cup tires during January. We have a similar weather, and I got my car in January as well, and I really was very concerned to have an accident while driving the car on the original tires.

As for the track I am pretty sure your comments and others who posted earlier are right on the money as they are not really suited well for the track and I really did not buy them for that purpose, but figured why not try them out on the track during my last track event for the year. Good luck and congratulations on your new GT3. Mark
Old 10-12-2014, 12:38 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by mqandil
Thank you so much for the info. Very informative. I have strong feeling that's what I will discover when I track them, but that's not what I bought them, and mainly because our track season is over this month and I just wanted to enjoy driving the car on the streets this winter.

Only question how do you think they will handle on cold wet track compared to the cup 2. From all indications our next track day will be probably around 50F and very wet, which what promoted me to change them before then. If you can provide some insight about this, it will be great. Thanks again. Mark
I don't have any personal experience with MPSC2 dry or wet, but my understanding is that you will be better off with MPSS in a cold wet track situation. I think you made the right call, but that is just a guess. MPSC2 are supposed to be better in the rain than MPSC1, but I don't know how much better
Old 10-12-2014, 03:05 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I don't have any personal experience with MPSC2 dry or wet, but my understanding is that you will be better off with MPSS in a cold wet track situation. I think you made the right call, but that is just a guess. MPSC2 are supposed to be better in the rain than MPSC1, but I don't know how much better
Thanks again. I will update everyone regarding how they handle on wet colder track in couple of weeks, although I would not have a good frame of reference since I never tracked my car on cup II tires on wet cold pavement before. However I had an autocross event earlier this summer where we had light rain and the grounds were partially wet , and the cup II tires did so well. My time was only 0.2 seconds slower than when it was fully dry but again it was very warm and the grounds were not soaked. Mark
Old 10-12-2014, 05:51 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 626 Likes on 383 Posts

How long do the OEM MPSC2 tires last with street driving? I'm wondering if I need to immediately get a second set of street wheels / tires for daily driving, and swap in the MPSC2 for the track, or do they have a reasonable lifetime for combo use. At 180 tread wear, I assume they can't be too bad.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:30 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

I really miss my MPSS as the ride has really deteriorated with the Cup2's. The Super Sports were fantastic in the wet but still a nice track tire. I put 8 track days on my last set as well as some very spirited driving. The Cup 2's have a much stiffer sidewall and make a little more noise. Best of all the MPSS have a wear guarantee of 30K F and 15K R.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:56 PM
SECRET
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
Best of all the MPSS have a wear guarantee of 30K F and 15K R.
What does that mean? Would one be able to get new tires from Michelin if they could burn me up in less than the given guaranteed mileage under normal conditions?
Old 10-13-2014, 01:40 PM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm probably in the camp too of switching to MPSS at the first tire change interval. Have them on my Audi RS4 and have 20k miles of spirited backroads driving on them and still have another 5-10k of tread life on them. Very advanced tire indeed for the street. For those who fall into the DD / street orientation category, the wet weather capability + the softer sidewalls probably make this a better choice. Basically, in a nut shell, if you decided to buy PCCBs, you might also want the MPSS.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:33 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

^ I am going to do the same when time to change
Old 10-13-2014, 02:49 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by SECRET M
What does that mean? Would one be able to get new tires from Michelin if they could burn me up in less than the given guaranteed mileage under normal conditions?
You won't get new tires for free, but Michelin might issue a partial credit on the price of new Michelin replacements. In theory, if you wear out the front tires in 15,000 miles, then you could get a 50% credit when buying the new tires. But, they won't provide the credit unless both tires are worn all the way down to tread wear bars and are evenly worn across the width of each tire. And both front tires must have to have similar wear.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:20 PM
NMM991
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any opinion on Pirelli P Zeros? I've always run Michelins but my Turbo S came thru with the P Zeros and I have been favorably impressed. 8,000 miles and 4 light track days (100 miles each time out & no much sliding) and useful life. I am also planning to switch out of the PSC2s for the winter as the car won't be tracked again until April-May.

Quick Reply: GT3 New shoes......Michelin super sports