Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it true? No R compounds to be used on a 991 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 02:31 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Great, thanks for posting that! Wow, Porsche wants you to replace the spark plugs every 12,000 miles? Doesn't that involve dropping the engine out of the car?
Old 10-14-2014, 02:53 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Great, thanks for posting that! Wow, Porsche wants you to replace the spark plugs every 12,000 miles? Doesn't that involve dropping the engine out of the car?
I'm 99% certain it does not.....
Old 10-14-2014, 02:57 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Mike!
Old 10-14-2014, 12:36 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
But that is after 12,000 of race circuit driving. That's a lot of time on the track
Old 10-14-2014, 01:05 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 645 Likes on 326 Posts

Very interesting list.. here's the thing with this maintenance schedule: all of this is good practice if you own/run a full out race car anyway...not just a cup car but any dedicated track car....but most of us with full out race cars can't enjoy them every day on the streets. So yes, you basically have a full race car 'tamed' somewhat for daily use, but you need to treat it as a race car and maintain it as such.

The hard part for Porsche I would imagine is to put stuff like this in writing that would cover all drivers.... for example: 6,000 miles with Patrick Long driving is surely more stress than most of us mear mortals. My question also is - are these 'TRACK miles? or 'if you track it at all, these are the intervals we want you to follow'? If you track it once per year, vs. two weekends per month...how do you differentiate? This is easy for me as my track car is dedicated to racing only, but how do you do it if you alternate between some track but mostly street? And how do you keep track of it? Meaning...if this is the maintenance schedule that Porsche is saying to follow or else void the warranty, how do they know 6,000, 12,000, etc. miles of TRACK use?

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 10-14-2014, 01:34 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,268 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Originally Posted by naroescape
Very interesting list.. here's the thing with this maintenance schedule: all of this is good practice if you own/run a full out race car anyway...not just a cup car but any dedicated track car....but most of us with full out race cars can't enjoy them every day on the streets. So yes, you basically have a full race car 'tamed' somewhat for daily use, but you need to treat it as a race car and maintain it as such.

The hard part for Porsche I would imagine is to put stuff like this in writing that would cover all drivers.... for example: 6,000 miles with Patrick Long driving is surely more stress than most of us mear mortals. My question also is - are these 'TRACK miles? or 'if you track it at all, these are the intervals we want you to follow'? If you track it once per year, vs. two weekends per month...how do you differentiate? This is easy for me as my track car is dedicated to racing only, but how do you do it if you alternate between some track but mostly street? And how do you keep track of it? Meaning...if this is the maintenance schedule that Porsche is saying to follow or else void the warranty, how do they know 6,000, 12,000, etc. miles of TRACK use?
+1, my thoughts exactly.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:57 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Could they accurately guess at track usage based on g forces and rpm ranges that are logged?
Old 10-14-2014, 02:34 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by naroescape

Seems to me it would be in the best interest of anyone who tracks to keep a simple log of dates and odometer readings before and after each session. This documentation would be a way to "prove" just how much track use the car had seen and help protect yourself in any warranty discussions.

What's encouraging to me is the fact that Porsche has left the language rather loose regarding track usage. They don't just come out and say "we will void the warranty" if you don't do specific maintenance. What they say is that "under certain circumstances, the warranty may be voided if these aspects are not taken into consideration". It seems there is a fair amount of wiggle room in that statement and that as long as reasonable precautions are taken, most of which a conscientious tracker would be doing anyway, there shouldn't be a problem. That's the way I read it, anyway.

Quick Reply: Is it true? No R compounds to be used on a 991 GT3?