Sponsored by:

Bucket seats.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 10:28 AM
johnhv
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bucket seats.

Working on my build order and do not know what to do about seats. I am considering buckets but the car will spend more time as my daily driver then on a track. Does anyone have experience driving with bucket seats. How would they be on a long trip? Any input would be appreciated. Currently have a 991s and am quiet happy with the seats but want to use harness on the track.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:34 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 283 Posts

The fact that they don't change recline would be the deal breaker for me for a daily driver. But take my opinion lightly. I speak from zero experience with the buckets.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:13 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

If you ever want to use a harness, they are the only seats to choose. The other seats are not compatible with harnesses.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:49 AM
YOCOHO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had GT2 seats in my 997.2 2010 GT3 which were awesome. No problem taking long trips I'm 6' 205 lbs. I kept them and I'm going to install them in my new 991 GT3 when it arrives in a few weeks.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:15 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

I also find the GT2 seats (aka sport bucket seats) to be the most comfortable Porsche offers. No problem with 5 hour trips. If you order the lightweight bucket seats and don't like them, they will be easy to sell and/or trade.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:35 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 71 Posts

Since this keeps coming up, let me ask this - If Porsche offered an option - money seats - where they would put $4000 cash in the seat cushions, would people still wonder if it hey should choose it? Or will they go, no ****, I am going to get it and if it turns out I don't like it, I am going to take the money out and put normal seats in?
Old 10-10-2014, 12:39 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

if you search there are a few other LONG threads about this topic
Old 10-10-2014, 02:37 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sport Seats are the greatest!
Looking forward to the Lightweights!
Old 10-10-2014, 03:16 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by johnhv
I am considering buckets but the car will spend more time as my daily driver then on a track.
Get da buckets! Even if you will be doing ZERO track driving. Look at them as an important performance upgrade. They will change how the car communicates to you and with that they will improve your driving and enjoyment of the car. This is especially important for a GT3, which IMO, should come with buckets standard.

Plus -- if you weigh under 300lbs -- they are the most comfortable seats Porsche makes, period. Speaking as a driver of buckets (Euro 996) for 8 years straight in both my Boxster and now in my 6gt3, given the choice, I would not own a Porsche without buckets, road or track, regardless.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:44 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Since this keeps coming up, let me ask this - If Porsche offered an option - money seats - where they would put $4000 cash in the seat cushions, would people still wonder if it hey should choose it? Or will they go, no ****, I am going to get it and if it turns out I don't like it, I am going to take the money out and put normal seats in?
The problem can be finding stock seats, especially given many opting for red deviated stitch. I.e. You reall cannot buy new as they are priced ridiculously. Suncoast can get you the parts for 4 way or 18 way, which will cost you dearly. They cannot get new seats as a whole. Yes, there may be some 4 way platinum seats out there, but finding pristine ones, like we all want, may be a little more difficult, finding red stitch close to impossible in my opinion.

That said, I am getting buckets and will likely track only 2 times a year. I may never track I too think they serve the car well and are comfortable.

The better choice may be to get 4 way if undecided knowing you'll likely pony up $8-$10k for buckets; maybe less. Then you'll have both sets and can always peddle the buckets if you don't like or when selling car. Suncoast expects to have these by late spring. Just my thoughts.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:56 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
I also find the GT2 seats (aka sport bucket seats) to be the most comfortable Porsche offers. No problem with 5 hour trips. If you order the lightweight bucket seats and don't like them, they will be easy to sell and/or trade.
^ Pretty much this.

A bunch of people cancelled their orders, or changed them to get the buckets. If you don't like them I'm sure it will not take you long to trade them and get some cash at hand on top.

I have the GT2 buckets on the car and they're fairly comfortable. Plus you get a new feel for what the car is doing. I felt lost while driving when I had regular sport seats... Really do appreciate the value of good seats in a car like this.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:25 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev

The better choice may be to get 4 way if undecided knowing you'll likely pony up $8-$10k for buckets; maybe less. Then you'll have both sets and can always peddle the buckets if you don't like or when selling car. Suncoast expects to have these by late spring. Just my thoughts.
I imagine they will be much more than $10k. The closest seat Porsche sells now is the Euro GT3 one-piece carbon fiber seat. They are $17.9k at Suncoast and don't have airbags or electric height adjustment on the driver's seat. I think the Carrera GT seats are similar in price.

The lightweight seats offered in the US for the GT3 are 918 seats. A set of luggage for the 918 is almost $20k - the seats won't be cheap either!! Nothing about the 918 is inexpensive!
Old 10-10-2014, 07:21 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
The problem can be finding stock seats, especially given many opting for red deviated stitch. I.e. You reall cannot buy new as they are priced ridiculously. Suncoast can get you the parts for 4 way or 18 way, which will cost you dearly. They cannot get new seats as a whole. Yes, there may be some 4 way platinum seats out there, but finding pristine ones, like we all want, may be a little more difficult, finding red stitch close to impossible in my opinion.

That said, I am getting buckets and will likely track only 2 times a year. I may never track I too think they serve the car well and are comfortable.

Valid point about deviated stitching. But then again, finding buckets with deviated stitching is going to be even harder and more expensive. At least, I have never seen the GT2 seats with deviated stitching for sale unless the car came with it. And congrats on your GT3 with proper seats .
Old 10-10-2014, 07:29 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
I imagine they will be much more than $10k. The closest seat Porsche sells now is the Euro GT3 one-piece carbon fiber seat. They are $17.9k at Suncoast and don't have airbags or electric height adjustment on the driver's seat. I think the Carrera GT seats are similar in price.

The lightweight seats offered in the US for the GT3 are 918 seats. A set of luggage for the 918 is almost $20k - the seats won't be cheap either!! Nothing about the 918 is inexpensive!
I would agree with the pricing estimate, however, Suncoast threw out that number. We'll see.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:30 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Valid point about deviated stitching. But then again, finding buckets with deviated stitching is going to be even harder and more expensive. At least, I have never seen the GT2 seats with deviated stitching for sale unless the car came with it. And congrats on your GT3 with proper seats .
True and thank you! I cannot wait. Need to get this to Road Atlanta and Barber.

Quick Reply: Bucket seats.