Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 12:12 PM
Bcs72
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991 gt3 motor problem

I m new in this forum.

I have bought a 991 gt3 2 months ago..
I have 6000km in my car and 3000km on track.
The car is wonderful but 3 days ago i had a motor problem.
My motor was changed by porsche on this summer.
I was on the track, when around 8000rpm the motor is drooped the power and give me a check engine light than i have only a smal power "safety running".
Than iI went to the service and they send me that the 6. Cilinder has no good detonation after 8000rpm , but they have no ideas what is the problem.

Is anybody has a similar problem with the new engine?

From the begining I had an exhaust problem , that sometimes the one of the exhausts valve is not closed totaly therfore i had a strange noise in the cabin after 4500-5000 rpm.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:34 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Might be a faulty cam sensor that some of the guys had an issue with earlier on.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:51 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bcs72
From the begining I had an exhaust problem , that sometimes the one of the exhausts valve is not closed totaly therfore i had a strange noise in the cabin after 4500-5000 rpm.
I had this sticky valve issue for the first 800 miles and then it disappeared.

Dealer should be able to diagnose the check engine. Please keep us posted on what they say.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:37 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bcs72
I m new in this forum.

I have bought a 991 gt3 2 months ago..
I have 6000km in my car and 3000km on track.
The car is wonderful but 3 days ago i had a motor problem.
My motor was changed by porsche on this summer.
I was on the track, when around 8000rpm the motor is drooped the power and give me a check engine light than i have only a smal power "safety running".
Than iI went to the service and they send me that the 6. Cilinder has no good detonation after 8000rpm , but they have no ideas what is the problem.

Is anybody has a similar problem with the new engine?

Over on Pistonheads a UK owner who has 19,000 km on his 991 GT3 including many thousands of KM on the track has had a very similar issue. The timing was perfect as he was due for his 12,000 mile service. The mechanics have replaced the spark plug and the ignition module. TRhe plugs need replacing regularly in the new GT3 (manual says maybe every 20k km). However track use will accelerate it I suspect and fuel quality may also make a difference.

My guess is you have a similar issue. You have done a fair bit of track work. It shouldbt happen so soon but I suspect ignition/spark replacement to solve issue.

Good luck and please advise us when you know...
Old 10-02-2014, 07:31 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Macca,what's with this 20K km spark plug change interval??!! This is beyond BS!!! Not from you,don't get me wrong,but from Porsche(I read it's posted in the owner's manual). I mean,they're spark plugs...what is changed in this ignition system that will wear the spark plugs so soon? Do you know?
Very curious....
Old 10-02-2014, 07:36 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

I should also mention that the OP might have misunderstood what the dealer communicated to him. He stated : " cylinder 6 suffers from no detonation beyond 8K RPM " . That's a good thing. LOL! You do not want DETONATION or PRE-IGNITION in an engine,unless you want it blown up. LOL!
Old 10-02-2014, 07:53 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Macca,what's with this 20K km spark plug change interval??!! This is beyond BS!!! Not from you,don't get me wrong,but from Porsche(I read it's posted in the owner's manual). I mean,they're spark plugs...what is changed in this ignition system that will wear the spark plugs so soon? Do you know?
Very curious....
This and the tight over-rev ranges posted in another thread suggest that the engine may have been designed closer to its limits than the previous (Mezger) ones.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:03 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
This and the tight over-rev ranges posted in another thread suggest that the engine may have been designed closer to its limits than the previous (Mezger) ones.
Highly doubtful. There is always a level of safety in design, and that has never gotten less with time, generally quite the opposite.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:13 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Maybe spark plug not exactly trq rt or spark plug not up to spec as far as gap. Ignition coil should be fresh. Anyway hopefully it's a small issue. Mike
Old 10-02-2014, 08:35 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I suspect and fuel quality may also make a difference.
That reminds me of Audi's high revving DFI engine's carbon build up issues. When I looked into it long back it didn't look like it effected 9A1 - at least Google didn't turn up anything concrete. But then the normal 9A1 doesn't rev as much as the RS4 unit. But the GT3 unit revs even more, so I wonder if it is a factor.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:36 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

The thing that really hit home for me recently when taking a Ferrari owning friend for a very quick spin then repeating again the same route in his 360 was simply how much closer the 911 and Ferrari now are in terms of engine note and specific output.

The 991 GT3 is far more exotically engineered than anything mainstream 911 Porsche have made before. Not only in the PDK-S and the seamless integration of RwS, PTV, electronic engine mounts and edlessly variable electronic diff but also in 9000 rpm capability and specific horsepower per litre which is now 125bhp/L a production figure only Ferraris most exotic engines were capable of a few years back.

Over the years Ive always marvelled Ferraris high rpm capability and high specific output but not their maintenance schedule which has always been the scary aspect of owning one (6000km replacement for some items). Of course it has improved over the last decade but those engines are still in need of more regular attention than a typical 911.

The 991 Gt3 has moved one step more exotic and though it may be "Champagne" performance for "beer" budget something's had to give I suspect. The 991 Gt3 really moves things along and has become a much more complex machine - remember we are still using 3.8L engine capacity the same size that was in my 993RS which made 300 bph (on a good day) and now makes 475 bhp and uses less fuel to run it (except on the track!).

Anyway here is the information I found. It looks like the "plugs" are a different type than the tradition ones and I suspect that the high rpm redline has an effect on their longevity (especially on the track). I spoke to my tech and a special tool has to be ordered to remove these. They are unique to the GT3. He also confirmed he had been told the 991 GT3 had been tested up to 10,000 rpm. You dont design an engine for a road car that can only handle 3-5% revs over redline - theres usually 10-15% left on the table or else the engine would be too stressed. His take on the smaller gaps between events is that its largely academic as the car cannot be over reved unless there is a failure of another system (thus a warranty claim) and that PAG have lowered the threshold in the latest offerings order to cut the tuners off at the knees (who often will crate a piggy back system that leaves no evidence of is usage however can create an over rev which will be recorded by the main ecu). Sounded logical to me.

The only thing I can say is that I know now of 2 other incidences same as OP. One in UK and one in Europe. All cars have between 6-19,000km and all have 3-6000 km on the track (i.e heavy track usage). All have exhibited earlier failure of spark system and one of the others on cylinder 6. Its not critical to the longevity of the engine as such but it is annoying that the service interval of this component is so short for track driven cars so I suspect PAG will come out with a communication on this soon or re design the system or specify a different tolerance plug...
Attached Images  
Old 10-03-2014, 12:15 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

He also confirmed he had been told the 991 GT3 had been tested up to 10,000 rpm. You dont design an engine for a road car that can only handle 3-5% revs over redline - theres usually 10-15% left on the table or else the engine would be too stressed. His take on the smaller gaps between events is that its largely academic as the car cannot be over reved unless there is a failure of another system (thus a warranty claim) and that PAG have lowered the threshold in the latest offerings order to cut the tuners off at the knees (who often will crate a piggy back system that leaves no evidence of is usage however can create an over rev which will be recorded by the main ecu). Sounded logical to me.
Macca, makes sense. Thx for the overall informative post.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:19 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,528 Likes on 5,055 Posts

The thing that really hit home for me recently when taking a Ferrari owning friend for a very quick spin then repeating again the same route in his 360 was simply how much closer the 911 and Ferrari now are in terms of engine note and specific output.

The 991 GT3 is far more exotically engineered than anything mainstream 911 Porsche have made before. Not only in the PDK-S and the seamless integration of RwS, PTV, electronic engine mounts and edlessly variable electronic diff but also in 9000 rpm capability and specific horsepower per litre which is now 125bhp/L a production figure only Ferraris most exotic engines were capable of a few years back.

Over the years Ive always marvelled Ferraris high rpm capability and high specific output but not their maintenance schedule which has always been the scary aspect of owning one (6000km replacement for some items). Of course it has improved over the last decade but those engines are still in need of more regular attention than a typical 911.

The 991 Gt3 has moved one step more exotic and though it may be "Champagne" performance for "beer" budget something's had to give I suspect. The 991 Gt3 really moves things along and has become a much more complex machine - remember we are still using 3.8L engine capacity the same size that was in my 993RS which made 300 bph (on a good day) and now makes 475 bhp and uses less fuel to run it (except on the track!).

Anyway here is the information I found. It looks like the "plugs" are a different type than the tradition ones and I suspect that the high rpm redline has an effect on their longevity (especially on the track). I spoke to my tech and a special tool has to be ordered to remove these. They are unique to the GT3. He also confirmed he had been told the 991 GT3 had been tested up to 10,000 rpm. You dont design an engine for a road car that can only handle 3-5% revs over redline - theres usually 10-15% left on the table or else the engine would be too stressed. His take on the smaller gaps between events is that its largely academic as the car cannot be over reved unless there is a failure of another system (thus a warranty claim) and that PAG have lowered the threshold in the latest offerings order to cut the tuners off at the knees (who often will crate a piggy back system that leaves no evidence of is usage however can create an over rev which will be recorded by the main ecu). Sounded logical to me.

The only thing I can say is that I know now of 2 other incidences same as OP. One in UK and one in Europe. All cars have between 6-19,000km and all have 3-6000 km on the track (i.e heavy track usage). All have exhibited earlier failure of spark system and one of the others on cylinder 6. Its not critical to the longevity of the engine as such but it is annoying that the service interval of this component is so short for track driven cars so I suspect PAG will come out with a communication on this soon or re design the system or specify a different tolerance plug...
Great post and info.
Thank you.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:44 AM
Bcs72
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys!

Thanks to your fast response.

So the service at first step changed the sparks the ign coils and the problem is still has.
than they changed the injectors and nothing changed, so they have no idea what could be.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:57 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Ok Bsc72.

You are not alone. You are the third person I know who has had this problem. Changing the ignition wire solved the issue for one person. I have attached below a post from a Uk Pistonheads.co.uk member who has 19,000 km on his 991 GT3 including many track KMs. His car showed similar fault to you a few weeks ago the day he was taking it in for its first big service! His tech has done the same as yours (however taken much longer to get the parts and tools!).
I think you should join Pistonheads and private mail him directly. He posted the post below about 5 days ago you will have to look through the threads (its the 991 GT3 thread 300+ pages long on the Porsche General forum). I think by now hopefully his techs have worked through the problem with factory intervention and may have a solution which works for you also.

Please could you do us one favour and report your final findings here as this is very useful information for speeding up issues others may have in the future with the same fault?
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 991 gt3 motor problem