Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 05:38 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by est8esq
As we used to say down at Quantico during days of OCS, "Hurry up and wait."

Haven't heard anything back yet?

Spoke to Porsche NA and they got someone right on it last week. Last I spoke to my tech, he was instructed to take pics and shoot them off?

In their defense, I'm not running again until middle of Oct., so told them I'm not in a rush.

I'll follow up tomorrow.
FWIW - There is a very detailed procedure for PDK leak issues from PAG, so much in fact they even publish it on PIWIS system, it's about 18 pages. It is time consuming, but from personal experience with my Cayenne, it works well. You've gone through the first few parts; here is a massively paraphrased sequence -
1. clean the area, document what it looks like, drips, pooling, etc.
2. test drive (could be several hundred miles if necessary, depends on the nature of the leak) and check it again, if still leak (versus seep or spill), then clean again and use leak tracing fluid spray.
3. wait (more test drives) and check again, if still leak, take pics, send to PCNA and PAG.
4. await further instructions from PAG (PQIS).
5. There are about 17 different areas in the PDK and PDK-S that can leak, some of which can be repaired but those are external areas where parts or fittings join. Any internal leak or internal damage would not be repaired and a replacement PDK most likely issued, for example leaks around bell housing with a damaged o-ring on the clutch cover would warrant a new PDK unit..
6. Document in vehicle activity log.
7. Find and correct any faults in other control units
8. Check oil levels for clutch and transmission
9. Determine and clarify exact problem (using the leak detection flow chart procedure)
10. Resolve other problems or complaints with PDK
11. re-calibrate PDK
... more tests but most are related to torque loss and touchpoint adaptions.

As one can imagine, the PDK and PDK-S are very complex items and require an extensive process to determine the nature and occurrence of any leak. And that just takes time, but the process works and I have no doubt your leak issues will be remedied in due course. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Redsled83 (07-25-2024)
Old 10-07-2014, 05:55 PM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy NEW TRANS

Receiving your comments from our Rennlist family, it prompted me to call my dealer.

They just learned Porsche Germany said to put a new tranny in.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:02 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

est8esq. That interesting. I suspect they want to look at the old one to break it down and see if its anything they should be concerned about. Good news is new tranny, bad news is no car for a while.

This is teh first such issue I have been aware of across all the boards and our Action Group members (130 of them) to date. Lets hope its an isolated case.

You should ask for compensation definitely IMO! You are missing out on track days. Im pretty sure they will give you a loan car buy tell them you want the same comp package as Cat A during the engine swap.

At this rate the car may end up being free to you via compensation!!

Keep us informed of proceedings. I know you will be disappointed...
Old 10-07-2014, 06:06 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 635 Likes on 304 Posts

Covered under warranty? Any issues with it being tracked so much by the dealer?
Old 10-07-2014, 06:11 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Receiving your comments from our Rennlist family, it prompted me to call my dealer.

This is probably the best solution for all. Assuming there is a new PDK-S in Ontario or Atlanta, you could get it back within a few days to a week. If not and it has to come from Germany, then it could be a few more days. But you get a new unit and PAG gets to do a root cause analysis.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:15 PM
YOCOHO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like I stated earlier, I was having problems with seepage earlier and the first time the dealer cleaned everything off, topped tranny fluid (almost a liter) and tested it, but no leakage.

Picked her up and took to the track. Really didn't push that hard either of two days (not too many fast cars to run with). It was actually one run that I ran relatively hard and it happened?

Here's the video. I don't think I'm going nuts?

Porsche GT3 pdk at Mid Ohio NORPCA Sept. 2014 - YouTube

BTW, Macca good to see you're around.
Was your car all stock - tires and suspension?
Old 10-07-2014, 06:20 PM
est8esq
Racer

Originally Posted by Macca
est8esq. That interesting. I suspect they want to look at the old one to break it down and see if its anything they should be concerned about. Good news is new tranny, bad news is no car for a while.

This is teh first such issue I have been aware of across all the boards and our Action Group members (130 of them) to date. Lets hope its an isolated case.

You should ask for compensation definitely IMO! You are missing out on track days. Im pretty sure they will give you a loan car buy tell them you want the same comp package as Cat A during the engine swap.

At this rate the car may end up being free to you via compensation!!

Keep us informed of proceedings. I know you will be disappointed...
Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Covered under warranty? Any issues with it being tracked so much by the dealer?
I don't really have any answers yet?

The only thing my tech commented was that they're going to look at it and check for "abuse." What the heck does that mean??? Even he commented he has no idea what or how a GT3 with pdk would be abused?

This repair is being covered under warranty, but if Porsche Germany comes back and finds that it was "abused", I was told then no further warranty will be covered? So, again what does that mean?

We ALL shouldn't get anxious. Let's see what they come back with? It could simply be specific to this one tranny? At the same time, I'll be very open and notorious that I'm a track junkie and that's the reason why I took a $100k loss on my last car to trade into this. Aside from 19" Forgeline wheels, there are no mechanical modifications (aside from seats, cage and harness).

If they come back and tell me this tranny has been "abused" and that they wont' cover future transmissions, IMMEDIATELY following I will let everyone know where they can buy a white GT3 for cheap. Hopefully, mine will be the first to sell and all of you should follow suit and permit the "gentlemen drivers" to collect them along w/ their Astons.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:22 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Keep us posted.

Likely just a leak, but a leak is a failure in a no maintenance-the-oil-lasts-lifetime tranny.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:24 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here! They will cover it! The car has TRACK warranty for God's sake! What does abuse mean when you follow track warranty? Change oil in the PDK-S?
Old 10-07-2014, 06:31 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

At a minimum they will goodwill it.
If not bring $99K for this 3 pedal goodness: http://gt.astonmartin.com/
I'll take a white one: http://astnmrt.in/1vQbl3M

Forged in Competition. Honed for the Road.

Inspired by our rich racing pedigree, Vantage GT is the most dramatic expression of the Aston Martin V8 Vantage ever created. We took the beauty, dynamics and athleticism of our iconic sports car and produced a unique and compelling special edition across five unique exterior specifications.

Thrilling performance is matched with a comprehensive specification to create a unique but accessible experience. Intense, exciting, compelling – GT has been created to deliver pure driving excitement.

Vantage GT is also closer than you think, with MSRPs starting from $99,900. Available in Coupe and Roadster format, Vantage GT is available now from the official Aston Martin North American dealer network.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:45 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't really have any answers yet?

The only thing my tech commented was that they're going to look at it and check for "abuse." What the heck does that mean??? Even he commented he has no idea what or how a GT3 with pdk would be abused?

This repair is being covered under warranty, but if Porsche Germany comes back and finds that it was "abused", I was told then no further warranty will be covered? So, again what does that mean?

We ALL shouldn't get anxious. Let's see what they come back with? It could simply be specific to this one tranny? At the same time, I'll be very open and notorious that I'm a track junkie and that's the reason why I took a $100k loss on my last car to trade into this. Aside from 19" Forgeline wheels, there are no mechanical modifications (aside from seats, cage and harness).

If they come back and tell me this tranny has been "abused" and that they wont' cover future transmissions, IMMEDIATELY following I will let everyone know where they can buy a white GT3 for cheap. Hopefully, mine will be the first to sell and all of you should follow suit and permit the "gentlemen drivers" to collect them along w/ their Astons.
This is standard practice with all warranty repairs regardless of it is specifically stated to owner or not. Of course they will check for abuse because if they deem something was done outside of the reasonable use that caused leak it will be a rejected warranty $$ claim to dealer. You have nothing to worry about though, PDK would be difficult for you to abuse based on its design and it seems as if this was truly a defect by your description and it should be of no concern at this point unless you are told otherwise in future but I wouldn't lose sleep over it. I do believe the car might be down for a while...not just because of labor time but because I don't think they will have a replacement PDK-S anywhere on our side of the water yet.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:21 PM
est8esq
Racer

Originally Posted by sccchiii
This is standard practice with all warranty repairs regardless of it is specifically stated to owner or not. Of course they will check for abuse because if they deem something was done outside of the reasonable use that caused leak it will be a rejected warranty $$ claim to dealer. You have nothing to worry about though, PDK would be difficult for you to abuse based on its design and it seems as if this was truly a defect by your description and it should be of no concern at this point unless you are told otherwise in future but I wouldn't lose sleep over it. I do believe the car might be down for a while...not just because of labor time but because I don't think they will have a replacement PDK-S anywhere on our side of the water yet.
Yes, of course they won't. Why spoil me now and have parts readily available?

Most of you don't know this, but being one of the first to take delivery back in December, I had the privilege of breaking down due to a cam sensor going bad, shutting me down while at Sebring. Fixed it by driving in limp mode across the state to nearest Porsche dealer, 100+ miles away. Drove last day at Sebring only to have thermostat go? Flatbed to dealer again while I flew back north. Then, after repair I flew back down for the PCA 48 hour and had pleasure of replacing the other cam sensor.

Honestly, not trying to complain too much, but just really getting tired of this.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:15 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

A new tranny and you'll be fine, there was similar stuff going on with the first 3.8 997's. No biggie as long as they keep fixing it, you end up with a good one.

Those are the things that worry me with bubble wrapped cars, i'll have to break everything first. Yours I would trust :-)
Old 10-08-2014, 08:45 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, of course they won't. Why spoil me now and have parts readily available?

Most of you don't know this, but being one of the first to take delivery back in December, I had the privilege of breaking down due to a cam sensor going bad, shutting me down while at Sebring. Fixed it by driving in limp mode across the state to nearest Porsche dealer, 100+ miles away. Drove last day at Sebring only to have thermostat go? Flatbed to dealer again while I flew back north. Then, after repair I flew back down for the PCA 48 hour and had pleasure of replacing the other cam sensor.

Honestly, not trying to complain too much, but just really getting tired of this.
Sounds as though we all owe you a bit of thanks for being a development driver for Porsche. It appears you have found many of the engine quirks already for them.....and of course now you are starting on tranny. Well sorry that all this has happened to you in first year, certainly takes from the ownership experience.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:47 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have to admit est8esq you have had a rough ride!

I hope they sort this out soon. More importantly I would like to know what was wrong with your transmission. The leaking oil thing is possible to explain but curious as to what was making your second gear shift prickly. Was that low gearbox oil or a damaged cog etc. Although you will probably never be told the final outcome please keep us abreast of findings if any...

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Leak