Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 mile club.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014 | 12:29 AM
Dude-
Pro

Default 2000 mile club.

So here I am with a car approaching 2000 miles. What do I think so far?

I can't get enough of it!!!!!! My experience with this car is certainly different from my previous one's in that by now, all my other cars would have received upgrades to keep my interest. I like HP/TQ but the problem is once the honey moon is over, you want more. The more I put in the less I drive it. Its weird but that how it goes.
This GT3 continues to impress as it perfectly fits what I want in my dream car. It has become my DD, Track, Weekend fun rides and my errand car. Its priced so low that I don't care if I put on 100K miles on it. If I do, it'll be 100K mile of pure fun. Best of all, it looks so dam goooood.

That's the good here are my complaints.

1. Wheres the rear view camera?
2. Why can’t the mirrors tilt for park assist?
3. Wheres the easy entry and exit function?
4. If you’re going with RWS and Power steering why not add Push button ignition?
5. Would it be so hard to put a colored tape on the steering wheel?
6. The radio sucks
7. In SPE mode, why not just open everything at all ranges? You press the button to make it louder so do it.

My first impression with the car was that I wish it came with more power. I actually message a few folks here saying that if it had 50 more, it will be the ultimate super car. Thats not to say that she's under power or not fun because she is a handful and very very fast. Im just saying that 50 more and its game over for everybody.
After driving her for almost 2K I just can stop driving her. The milestones were at 800mile where she really came alive and at 1300 when I took her to the track. She did exactly what I wanted to do.... no more and no less. just exactly what I wanted and doing it so convincingly that I was beyond amazed.

She's a keeper.
Old 09-26-2014 | 12:35 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Entry and Drive and Memory Seats are two things I wish I could option on the GT3.
Old 09-26-2014 | 12:46 AM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Dude Great Thread , sure wish I could contribute , Pretty fancy Club although I hear the dues aren't
to bad.
Old 09-26-2014 | 01:19 AM
Dude-
Pro

Thanks Deacon, Im having a blast with it. Hope you get yours soon.
Old 09-26-2014 | 01:24 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dude-

I can't get enough of it!!!!!! My experience with this car is certainly different from my previous one's in that by now, all my other cars would have received upgrades to keep my interest. I like HP/TQ but the problem is once the honey moon is over, you want more. The more I put in the less I drive it. Its weird but that how it goes.
This GT3 continues to impress as it perfectly fits what I want in my dream car. It has become my DD, Track, Weekend fun rides and my errand car. Its priced so low that I don't care if I put on 100K miles on it. If I do, it'll be 100K mile of pure fun. Best of all, it looks so dam goooood.

4. If you’re going with RWS and Power steering why not add Push button ignition?
6. The radio sucks
7. In SPE mode, why not just open everything at all ranges? You press the button to make it louder so do it.

My first impression with the car was that I wish it came with more power. I actually message a few folks here saying that if it had 50 more, it will be the ultimate super car. Thats not to say that she's under power or not fun because she is a handful and very very fast. Im just saying that 50 more and its game over for everybody.
After driving her for almost 2K I just can stop driving her. The milestones were at 800mile where she really came alive and at 1300 when I took her to the track. She did exactly what I wanted to do.... no more and no less. just exactly what I wanted and doing it so convincingly that I was beyond amazed.

She's a keeper.
Your wife sees this thread you're dead meat.

Dan (suggests you pre-write a mushy love poem for her to pull out and give in case she ever sees this post)
Old 09-26-2014 | 01:57 AM
az audi
Racer

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Entry and Drive and Memory Seats are two things I wish I could option on the GT3.
Agree. About every time I walk up to the car I forget I have to put the coffee in the other hand to pull the key out and unlock the door. Then I put the key back in the pocket so I can open the door.... And proceed to get in without getting the key out... Frustrating. Never thought that was an important feature. Maybe I shouldn't always have coffee in my hand.

I'm not to the 2000 club, but working on it.

(Maybe I should go for another drive tonight, mmm)
Old 09-26-2014 | 02:05 AM
Dude-
Pro

Coffee in the car??????? If my wife is wet from the rain, she's going to stay out in the rain. OK not really but its that serious.
Old 09-26-2014 | 02:08 AM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

So here I am with a car approaching 2000 miles. What do I think so far? I can't get enough of it!!!!!! My experience with this car is certainly different from my previous one's in that by now, all my other cars would have received upgrades to keep my interest. I like HP/TQ but the problem is once the honey moon is over, you want more. The more I put in the less I drive it. Its weird but that how it goes. This GT3 continues to impress as it perfectly fits what I want in my dream car. It has become my DD, Track, Weekend fun rides and my errand car. Its priced so low that I don't care if I put on 100K miles on it. If I do, it'll be 100K mile of pure fun. Best of all, it looks so dam goooood.
This post is exactly how I feel. I'm just over 4,000 miles and I can't stop driving this car! I make up excuses to run errands, like grocery shopping!
Old 09-26-2014 | 02:20 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

She's a keeper.
Well said. Many valid points IMO. I feel the same but twice as much (just over 4000 miles)...:-)
Old 09-26-2014 | 02:21 AM
silverrules
Drifting

What's up Dude? Just hit 1000 miles today. Another 1K miles and the launch control will be activated.

Agree with # 1,5-7, although #7 will be partially fixed with Sharkwerk and the plug.

Enjoy
Old 09-26-2014 | 02:45 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

6. The radio sucks

[It]'s a keeper.
I agree the modern day $150K track day weekend driver car should have :
360 surround video with night vision and full time rear view camera as a rear view "mirror"
creature comforts like mirror dip and memory which add only software, not weight, should be included.
push button keyless go ignition should have been in the GT3 circa 2005.

I find the radio fine and I've never once found a pro or competent amateur driver find any reason why the "straight ahead" tape on the steering wheel is of any use other than putting on a removable wheel.

I agree that the exhaust should have three modes:
1. 90 dB or 92 dB track
2. normal "opens for peak power around 4500 rpm"
3. loud mode just keeps the diverters open and sacrifices some torque
Old 09-26-2014 | 02:47 AM
Dude-
Pro

#7. ummm the only solution for me is the plug. I just installed the SW and its glorious, but it has to come off due to my unique situation.
Old 09-26-2014 | 02:53 AM
Dude-
Pro

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I agree the modern day $150K track day weekend driver car should have :
360 surround video with night vision and full time rear view camera as a rear view "mirror"
creature comforts like mirror dip and memory which add only software, not weight, should be included.
push button keyless go ignition should have been in the GT3 circa 2005.

I find the radio fine and I've never once found a pro or competent amateur driver find any reason why the "straight ahead" tape on the steering wheel is of any use other than putting on a removable wheel.

I agree that the exhaust should have three modes:
1. 90 dB or 92 dB track
2. normal "opens for peak power around 4500 rpm"
3. loud mode just keeps the diverters open and sacrifices some torque
LOL. Those are the only things I can think of GT. Its so hard to find faults on this car so I guess I should have labeled it as "soft core racer wish list." If I asked for these on my RS then I deserved to be shot.
Old 09-26-2014 | 03:18 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Almost 3000 miles here.....

Rear view camera would have been really great; mirror dip would come in handy sometimes.

After modding the flaps open and finding that low end torque was affected I think I know why Porsche tuned the exhaust the way they did. But there's no reason they couldn't have made it so you didn't have to press the PSE button every time.

Comfort entry would have meant a power steering column, another electric motor, and extra weight. But seat memory could have been left intact for the 18 way seats; how much does a row of buttons weigh?

You should be able to turn off DRL. Tape on the wheel would be cool, especially in red. Stuff like dimming mirrors should have been standard. Vinyl sun visors are cheap, but that's Porsche.

I'm sitting here really trying to think of things that bug me about the car, but I can't blame a GT3 for being thirsty, or low, or noisy, or having a borderline radio. It's the character of the car. Heck, if it had a freaking Burmester you couldn't enjoy it over the cabin noise at freeway speeds anyway.

No, after almost 3000 miles it's the dream car I hoped it would be. Honest to god, I smile inside every time I see it in my garage or climb behind the wheel. Best $150K+ I ever spent....
Old 09-26-2014 | 03:38 AM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Almost 3000 miles here..... Rear view camera would have been really great; mirror dip would come in handy sometimes. After modding the flaps open and finding that low end torque was affected I think I know why Porsche tuned the exhaust the way they did. But there's no reason they couldn't have made it so you didn't have to press the PSE button every time. Comfort entry would have meant a power steering column, another electric motor, and extra weight. But seat memory could have been left intact for the 18 way seats; how much does a row of buttons weigh? You should be able to turn off DRL. Tape on the wheel would be cool, especially in red. Stuff like dimming mirrors should have been standard. Vinyl sun visors are cheap, but that's Porsche. I'm sitting here really trying to think of things that bug me about the car, but I can't blame a GT3 for being thirsty, or low, or noisy, or having a borderline radio. It's the character of the car. Heck, if it had a freaking Burmester you couldn't enjoy it over the cabin noise at freeway speeds anyway. No, after almost 3000 miles it's the dream car I hoped it would be. Honest to god, I smile inside every time I see it in my garage or climb behind the wheel. Best $150K+ I ever spent....
Well said, Mike. I just hit 4,000 miles last week and not slowing down. I also got the chance yesterday to drive GT3's at Barber at PSDS and it was eye-opening to say the least. Truly incredible driving GT3's all-out on the track with the instructor Rich leading us very aggressively. We were shifting at 9k and it was epic. None of us stopped smiling for hours. Really, really the best car in the lineup. We also drove Turbo S coupes in the same run and that was night and day. Much softer and the differences were very apparent. Much more of a cruiser. Really not impressed. Literally everyone flipped out over the GT3's. Recommend the Masters class if you want to see what these cars can really do, while shredding someone else's tires and brakes.

Quick Reply: 2000 mile club.