Sponsored by:

Road Test Drive (Disappointed)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014 | 10:24 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
The good news is the guy you spoke with actually owns and has driven a 991 GT3 (on track too). To many opinions on this board have come from those who do not/have not etc.

I have been in regular contact with folk in Europe, USA and UK over the last 6 months who have used their car very extensively and very heavily for what it was built to do - from Frank with over 12,000 miles on his (includes many track days in Europe and UK), a central European with over 5000 track only Kms now including Spa and 'Ring to Phil from Switzerland (8000 km between both engines) who has been pushing his GT3 very hard at Imola, Spa & Magnus Cours posting some great times and AIM/SmartyCam footage on this very board.

Once you canvas 3-6 heavy users across the globe (they always know at least 5-6 GT3 owners themselves so often also comment on what they are hearing and seeing from their friends experiences on track etc) , add my own moderate KM track and road experience plus those of a few friends you start to build up a sample of around 15-20 trusted examples being given lots of use (infact many more Kms on this car than those I knoew with new 997.2 GT3RS put on their cars in the first 6 months they owned them), and you start to get comfort its a well screwed together product.

Everyone needs to do their own homework to get comfortable with a purchase I think.
+1
Old 09-28-2014 | 10:48 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Originally Posted by Drifting
I don't want to derail your decision Manifold, but have you not heard of the upcoming Cayman GT4? It will be a track-focused Cayman, around 400 HP. This should be announced by next Spring at the latest.
Latest rumor I heard, from a somewhat reliable source (), is that the Porsche isn't moving forward with the GT4. That could be wrong, but until I get a reliable info to the contrary, I moving forward on the assumption that they won't produce the GT4.
Old 09-28-2014 | 10:57 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Mike is right the Horses Mouth doesnt speak often so almost everyone out there is working with some form of heresay or babel fish on "the truth".

On that note, my version of the truth (Country Manager for Porsche in my country via a good frind I trust) is the Cayman R/"GT4" will be atmo, close to 400 bhp and use the 3.8S engine for what it is worth. It will come in manual as well as PDK. Im talking my wife into it and will repeat Euro adventure (longer and in warmer temps this time) in 2016 if it becomes a reality. All here-say of course LOL!

If you have any doubts about the car go to the track thread or Stop Sale thread and talk to guys like Phil who have just posted updates on track days in Europe - or go to Pistonheads and touch base with a few of the adrenaline junkies there and ask questions. Thats what I do. Phils out there posting Imola lap times 0.9s lower than The Stig in 458 Special basically in street trim (geo, pads, fluid). The cars not only awesome on the track its awesome on the road - I have 12+ youtube videos online you can visit taken on roads in Europe, and NZ including 3 race tracks if you want to get a feel for the sound and drama...
Old 09-28-2014 | 10:59 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
Latest rumor I heard, from a somewhat reliable source (), is that the Porsche isn't moving forward with the GT4. That could be wrong, but until I get a reliable info to the contrary, I moving forward on the assumption that they won't produce the GT4.
LOL! Four weeks ago when I was out of the country a good mate and racer popped the question on my request at the unveiling of the Macan to the MD of Porsche NZ and was told it was definitely coming but that it would unlikley be called the GT4 and that moniker was created by the general press.

Take from it what you will....
Old 09-28-2014 | 11:13 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Perfect time to add uncertainty!

Then it's a choice between waiting to maybe get a track Cayman which might not wind up existing, or order the GT3 and start enjoying it in a few months. Allocation is in hand (again), so I guess I get the GT3 and see what happens with the Cayman down the line.
Old 09-28-2014 | 11:23 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Or you can buy a Cayman and stick a 3.8L in it now...
Old 09-28-2014 | 11:28 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Or you can buy a Cayman and stick a 3.8L in it now...
Already have a Cayman R. It rocks, so we're not messing with it. Another 50 to 100 hp would be nice, but not essential.
Old 09-28-2014 | 11:41 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

It started to feel essential to me, reason I'm having a 2014 built with a 3.8L engine. Two to three weeks and I'll know if it was a mistake or not...
Old 09-28-2014 | 11:49 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

It started to feel essential to me, reason I'm having a 2014 built with a 3.8L engine. Two to three weeks and I'll know if it was a mistake or not...
Doubt it will be a mistake.
Old 09-29-2014 | 12:54 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Please be sure to give us all a summary of your impressions after receiving it.
Old 09-29-2014 | 02:11 AM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

^^^^^ Agreed! This sounds very interesting!
Old 09-29-2014 | 04:59 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Happy to share when it's finished, but I sadly won't be able to compare it to my GT3 until next season.
Old 09-29-2014 | 09:34 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Ordered the car today! Who'll be next to fall?
Old 09-30-2014 | 12:40 AM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Originally Posted by Manifold
Ordered the car today! Who'll be next to fall?
Well noted on your 1001st post you state you ordered the 991GT3

Huge congrats ! and glad my hot aired bloviating and ribbing didn't deter your wise choice , very inspiring as to your history of through questioning proved to you the confidence to go for it

When do you expect to take delivery ?
Old 09-30-2014 | 12:49 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by R.Deacon
Well noted on your 1001st post you state you ordered the 991GT3

Huge congrats ! and glad my hot aired bloviating and ribbing didn't deter your wise choice , very inspiring as to your history of through questioning proved to you the confidence to go for it

When do you expect to take delivery ?
Thanks!

I think all the debate was/is healthy, and certainly useful to me. What sold me the most is that this thing is fundamentally a (fast) race car at heart rather than a street car, yet it's fully drivable on the street with no issues. Perfect for my use.

Delivery expected Jan or Feb. Of course, now that I've decided and ordered it, I'm already getting impatient to get it!

Quick Reply: Road Test Drive (Disappointed)