Sponsored by:

Color choice Quandry

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 02:10 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Color choice Quandry

I was initially leaning white (there are so many), but I like these other colors too. I have not seen an agate grey yet, nor yellow. I like red but back in the 996 days, it was a negative for resale. Thoughts ?

PS: I may give up on the RS if it cannot be guaranteed after my conversation with my dealer's GM next week, so I may go for the non RS.

From my configuration:

Last edited by rockitman; 09-16-2014 at 11:52 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:59 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

If you read through the posts, we're almost all color conflicted; it's the hardest choice on the car. The only color I personally wouldn't buy is Lime Gold. Everything else would be on the table if I was in the market for a used car and it would all come down to condition.

So, unless you're contemplating selling me a Lime Gold car in the future buy what you like and don't worry about resale.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:00 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Well I went black. Originally was going to do white. I just like 911's in black.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:04 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by skuplist
Well I went black. Originally was going to do white. I just like 911's in black.
when you go black, you never go back...
Old 09-14-2014, 03:05 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
we're almost all color conflicted; it's the hardest choice on the car..
You got that right. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:17 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rockitman
when you go black, you never go back...
You got that right my 2006 Cayman S is black and the paint still looks as good as the day I purchased it 2006. These cars in black are not that hard to take care of.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:20 PM
kneman1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in the same boat as you. Resale is a tough question. Timing, options and a lot of other factors go into it. I too was leaning white and black. But there were too many whites in Los Angeles and black is hard to keep clean. I also contemplated GT silver but not worth 3500. So I went red and it locked 2 weeks ago
Old 09-14-2014, 03:28 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

You got that right my 2006 Cayman S is black and the paint still looks as good as the day I purchased it 2006. These cars in black are not that hard to take care of.
My '13 Cayenne GTS is white with black wheels. Going white on the GT3 would make quite the pair in the garage...where I live, there are not many GT3's period.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:32 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

I was close to doing red also. It looks great in red. Originally was going with white but I think it's been overdone now for me. My original order locked in white prior to the stop sale.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:38 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

I was close to doing red also. It looks great in red. Originally was going with white but I think it's been overdone now for me. My original order locked in white prior to the stop sale.
I do like how the red tail lights and reflector blend with the red car....maybe too much for distracted rear ender drivers....
Old 09-14-2014, 03:46 PM
Fadi1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Black is the way to go. My other favorite Mexico blue. But had to take my wife's advise. It's classy
Old 09-14-2014, 03:52 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Yes the red tail lights are the way to go in any color. I don't get the clear tail lights. I find it funny that my 2006 Cayman has some clear with red. The option Porsche had at the time was to do all red for an additional charge! Now the option is to got to clear.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:56 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always get red on my sports cars. My second choice is yellow but so far I haven't been able to get past red to actually order yellow. Only since you ask resale for a red would be better than yellow. You will regret asking this color question as you will get every different highly subjective point of view and be even more confused. At the end of the day Mike's advice is best, get which ever color makes your heart skip a beat except the lime gold.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:00 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

agree with the others, hardest choice... I just think that the GT3 looks best in the brighter colors that pop... vs. the really cool metallic silvers and greys that Porsche does. I feel they look better on turbos and other 911s. I have had guards red on my 993, and yellow is a bit too much for me (and for some reasons reminds me of Ferrari), so I went with white, again . Not sure if my thinking helps you, but that's it. The new Carrara White Metallic comes across to me as too greyish and shiny pearl in person. I saw it at a car show today again. Its really awesome, but I just don't like it for the GT3 myself. your mileage will vary of course...
Old 09-14-2014, 04:03 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by aamersa
I always get red on my sports cars. My second choice is yellow but so far I haven't been able to get past red to actually order yellow. Only since you ask resale for a red would be better than yellow. You will regret asking this color question as you will get every different highly subjective point of view and be even more confused. At the end of the day Mike's advice is best, get which ever color makes your heart skip a beat except the lime gold.
There was a recent study that showed yellow brought the highest resale. Study was across multiple brands, not just Porsche.

We spent several Saturdays driving around the state looking at the various colors in person, there really is no substitute. Looked closely at Sapphire Blue, but the Racing Yellow car on the same lot kept pulling our eyes. At one point we had settled on paying up for GT Silver Metallic; our last drive was to see GT Silver Metallic next to Racing Yellow. There really was no comparison, Racing Yellow is awesome in person.

We had already ordered racing yellow when my wife happened to run across the study I mentioned above.

Ryan

Quick Reply: Color choice Quandry